Mayan Riviera Aerial Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's an MPA and what's the diff on the reef?

Sorry, Marine Protected Area. The reef in the marine park around Puerto Morelos is much healthier then the middle and outer reef sites off Akumal. Like with most protected areas, more rules and regulations, better marine and land management, etc., keeps the reefs in better condition.

Those are some awesome pictures! Love seeing things from above. Can't wait till they do Coz

Sorry, Marine Protected Area. The reef in the marine park around Puerto Morelos is much healthier then the middle and outer reef sites off Akumal. Like with most protected areas, more rules and regulations, better marine and land management, etc., keeps the reefs in better condition.

I've been doing research for our Puerto Morelos trip over Labor Day and they are touting the area as the Mayan Riviera's newest Marine Reserve. And still quite undiscovered to this point, there aren't a whole lot of reviews on the area. PM only has 4 dive ops, so that tells you something.

It's so new, I can't find any dive site maps of the area. The dive op I've talked to says they just have all their sites on GPS on the boat and don't have site maps available. They only have a handfull of sites named.

Sounds like low coral formations with small outcrops and overhangs for the most part, not as high pennicles as on Coz. Some sites are more sandy bottoms with coral heads spread about, much like the layout at Columbia Shallows, and chances of seeing larger sealife than we see on Coz. more rays, even occational mantas, reef sharks, loggerhead turtles, during the right time of year, you might catch a whale shark passing through...looking very much forward to getting some bottom time in there.

I've been doing research for our Puerto Morelos trip over Labor Day and they are touting the area as the Mayan Riviera's newest Marine Reserve. And still quite undiscovered to this point, there aren't a whole lot of reviews on the area. PM only has 4 dive ops, so that tells you something.

It's so new, I can't find any dive site maps of the area. The dive op I've talked to says they just have all their sites on GPS on the boat and don't have site maps available. They only have a handfull of sites named.

Sounds like low coral formations with small outcrops and overhangs for the most part, not as high pennicles as on Coz. Some sites are more sandy bottoms with coral heads spread about, much like the layout at Columbia Shallows, and chances of seeing larger sealife than we see on Coz. more rays, even occational mantas, reef sharks, loggerhead turtles, during the right time of year, you might catch a whale shark passing through...looking very much forward to getting some bottom time in there.

Puerto Morelos is not a new area at all. But as a recognized tourist spot, it is new. Puerto Morelos and the areas south of Tulum are just about all that's left on that coast that aren't either wall to wall big all-inclusive resorts, or gated tourist beach communities.

The Puerto Morelos National Marine Park was officially designated in 1998. Considering the deterioration to the health of the reef in unprotected areas (like Akumal) in just the last few years, they are VERY fortunate in PM to have this in place now. Relative to most of the Riviera Maya, PM is a very quiet town. Once you get just south of there, all the way down 307 to Tulum are mega resorts...

The reef along this part of the coast is mostly tongue and groove. No massive pinnacles or deep walls. There's also two wrecks I've heard about and seen videos of - the C-56 and the Tulum. I haven't dived either, but I have a friend who goes every year and has told me they're good dives.

In Akumal, where I've been going for several years, there are 3 dives shops. Oldest one dates back to the late 60's, newest in the 90's. Lots of sites where the name and location depends on the shop and DM you're with, and the captains just know where to drop you in. No maps, GPS or markers. But Akumal doesn't have a marine park or protections and the lack of proper environmental management along the coastal areas (mainly development and sewage issues) is just devastating the reef.

Back
Top Bottom