Mayan Riviera Aerial Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
These are links of pics from a low flying plane over the Mayan Riviera coastline. They go from Playa del Carmen down to Puerto Morelos. I know many of the Cozumel faithful take a day or two from the island to visit the cenotes or shop and relax in Playa del Carmen.

I thought this might be of interest to many of you.

Riviera Maya aerial pictures:

Riviera Maya aerial pictures, Riviera Maya, Mexico

It sure makes Cozumel seem nice and cozy in comparison.

THANKS!!! Very Nice! Jean

I love that locogringo website, I recently found it while doing research for our Labor Day, Puerto Morelos trip.

EE GAD!:11: Can it be true!! Sharky's going somewhere besides Cozumel!!!

Cheap airfare and the lack of ambition to do the "bag drag" to Coz from Cancun drove me to it:D

Thankx for the links!!

Hey Sharky.

Yeah locogringo.com is a good site . I am headed to Akumal on Sunday and have used it for my research as well. Another nice website for those taking day trips to Akumal or the Tulum area, is Akumal Vacations - Mexico Beachfront Condo and Villa Rentals.

Have fun in Puerto Morelos. I think we are going to miss each other by a day or two in Coz. It would have been nice to have meet you.

PH

Have fun in Puerto Morelos. I think we are going to miss each other by a day or two in Coz. It would have been nice to have meet you.

PH

Thanks, we'll most likely cross paths on another trip, it's always nice to meet a fellow parrothead.

Hey Sharky.

Another nice website for those taking day trips to Akumal or the Tulum area, is Akumal Vacations - Mexico Beachfront Condo and Villa Rentals.

PH

Akumal Vacations actually runs all their business through LG. They do have agreements with a few properties that LG doesn't rep directly, but otherwise all the bookings go to LG and all the site content is provided by them too.

Where are you staying and who are you diving with? Have you dived in Akumal before?

I :heart: Puerto Morelos! One of the more beautiful, "in tact" areas on the RM. Thanks so much for posting those - they are stunning and make me so excited to be going back!

Where are you staying and who are you diving with? Have you dived in Akumal before?

We are staying at Akumal Beach Resort and diving with Akumal Dive Center. It is our first trip to the Akumal/Tulum area. We will be doing a few days of cenote diving and had hoped to have two days of reef diving. I saw your post earlier today in the Mexico forum regrading the diving in that area and diving with ADC and was sorry to see what you had to say. I did not expect the reefs to be as dramatic as what we see in Cozumel and other places in the carrebean, but I did not expect them to be so unhealthy. We chose the Akumal area for the cenote diving, so maybe we will schedule another day or two of that. There are a lot of things we would like to see topside, so I am not worried about keeping busy.

Thanks for your posts and insights.

PH

We are staying at Akumal Beach Resort and diving with Akumal Dive Center. It is our first trip to the Akumal/Tulum area. We will be doing a few days of cenote diving and had hoped to have two days of reef diving. I saw your post earlier today in the Mexico forum regrading the diving in that area and diving with ADC and was sorry to see what you had to say. I did not expect the reefs to be as dramatic as what we see in Cozumel and other places in the carrebean, but I did not expect them to be so unhealthy. We chose the Akumal area for the cenote diving, so maybe we will schedule another day or two of that. There are a lot of things we would like to see topside, so I am not worried about keeping busy.

Thanks for your posts and insights.

PH

Don't get me wrong, there is still stuff to see... just don't expect to be blown away when you drop down, and do expect to see a fare share of crud. It varies by sections. For me part of it is that I know what it did look like and have watched it decline and know that most of the damage could have been prevented. First timers see what they see and based on where else they've dived, a lot of them think it's great.

There is an MPA at Puerto Morelos and there's a big difference in the reef there vs off Akumal.

If you get the DM who's quick to touch, poke and prod, just nicely make it clear after the first dives that you don't like that and he will oblige.

One thing I do like about Akumal is that it's centrally located to so much to do and see. If you can't or don't want to ocean dive, there's lots of other options - cenotes, ruins, beach, other towns, etc.

Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom