Lockdown Impacts / Implications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I said heart attacks (cardiac) or strokes. And didn't mention cancer which also beat covid and only reinforces my point that it's odd that everyone seems to know lots of people in the 600k (1 in 550) who died of covid.

Top causes of death in the United States in 2020: Heart disease, cancer and COVID-19

I'm sorry, I must be missing it where you are going. Strokes is way down there. Even accidental injuries beats it. Your chart does seem pretty close to mine from JAMA, but of course they aren't final numbers. I imagine probably more people recognize COVID as a cause so you are probably right. Like "Hey you hear old Bob died?" "No, was it the COVID?" That sort of thing, the thing people ask about? Like in our local paper, I sometimes see obits that say COVID killed them, when usually you never see a cause of death.

upload_2021-5-19_7-53-6.png

The Leading Causes of Death in the US for 2020

I'm sorry, I must be missing it where you are going. ... I imagine probably more people recognize COVID as a cause so you are probably right. Like "Hey you hear old Bob died?" "No, was it the COVID?" That sort of thing, the thing people ask about? Like in our local paper, I sometimes see obits that say COVID killed them, when usually you never see a cause of death.

That's where I'm going with it. Everyone is reaching for a connection - a friend of a friend of my uncle - and it creates a sense of people dropping like flies as if it's the bubonic plaque.

It's very possible fully vaccinated are the ones helping increase the rates of infection.. just because your vaccinated does not mean you can't test positive or spread it. Yes, when vaccinated you are not in danger but other less fortunate unvaccinated are.

If vaccine rates are very low in the country, it might still make sense to continue restrictions until their own local population is protected..
Even Fauci is finally admitting that in the vaccinated breakthrough cases the viral load is low and very unlikely to spread Covid.
http://abc3340.com/news/local/those-fully-vaccinated-very-unlikely-to-spread-covid-19-fauci-says

I’m going to make the counterintuitive argument that in places with limited capacity because of COVID that staying home while vaccinated, if not in a high risk group, is pretty safe but pretty selfish. Rather, it is the civic duty of the vaccinated to circulate into these businesses to displace non vaccinated people to make it safer there for everybody. I think that it would be a great generosity from me (I’m vaccinated).

Wow. I read the research was on going, but great they announced it! Thanks!!
I noticed that when I had a light case of covid in January my wife and other household members did not contract it. Several of my coworkers who had light cases also did not pass it on to their spouses.

I contracted Covid sometime between August to December 2020. I am not sure of the dates because I never had any symptoms whatsoever. NONE! NADA! Not even the slightest headache.
I know the time frame due to the Covid active infection and the antibody tests I had done in August (after returning from a Coz dive trip) and for pre-surgery in December. The August tests were negative, but the December tests came back negative for active Covid, but positive for carrying the antibody. To be sure, I retested with a more advanced testing procedure and the results were the same. My wife and son were also tested and they were negative for active and the antibody. Go figure!

I am now fully vaccinated. I have another Coz trip planned for mid-June. My only concerns are related to the island going into lockdown. I just don't see that happening though.
I keep in contact with the Dive Op I'm using for this trip (Jeremy at Living Underwater) and he stays up-to-date as to the current Covid status on the island.

@GameChanger

Well, if the state goes red, they are not closing diving or restaurants all together. And that is if the mayor even follows the state guidelines. And dive ops and restaurants are not following orange or yellow now, so.....

And on your case, so you are sure at this point you would come up negative on an antigen test for coming back from Coz? That would worry me a tidge to not have a Dr. note in my pocket, just in case.

Wait, who am I kidding? I could deal with 14 days locked in our Coz house. 'Handle it, I will HAVE to extend 2 weeks or so....'

@GameChanger

And on your case, so you are sure at this point you would come up negative on an antigen test for coming back from Coz? That would worry me a tidge to not have a Dr. note in my pocket, just in case.

Well, since my last 2 PCR (not antigen) tests were negative, and I am now vaccinated and carrying the antibodies, I don't think I have much to worry about.
I have already pre-arranged my departure PCR test for re-entry into the USA. I am not doing antigen testing.

Back
Top Bottom