May Trip???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

browntrout

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have to be in DC the week of May 12th and was thining about extending my trip for my wife and I to drive down to NC and do some wreck dives. The dives would be the weekend of 17th, 18th and 19th. Is Hatteras the closest to DC that will offer good diving and will there be any problem getting on a boat for those three days out of that area? Looking at the charts I could find it looks like we would want to bring our 7MM suits, hoods and gloves for that time of year? I appreciate any input!

Eric

I'd head a little further and do Morehead City, NC - a lot more operators and slightly better chance of getting decent conditions (Hatteras can be tricky with currents and decent vis - plus, only a couple of 6 pack charters run from there). The water should be 65-70F that time of year, maybe early 70s. I dive a 5mm (hood & gloves). Recommend Nitrox - most folks run 30%. The wreck sites are all in about 90-120ft offshore, where the better vis and temperatures are (hence the Nitrox). Hope you're fine with sharks, we usually have plenty of Sand Tigers on the wrecks :eek:)

Thanks for the input, I knew the sharks would be an issue for my wife. I don't know that I'm going to be able to get her on board.

Saw my first shark out of Beaufort with Discovery Diving. I wanted to go play with the shark, my buddy tried to fade into the wreck and become invisible. I think his wetsuit got a bit warmer when I pointed out the shark.

Fun diving out of Beaufort and Morehead. I plan to be out there as much as possible this spring & summer!!

Don't be afraid of the sharks, they will not bother you and they are fun to see. We don't feed or do anything to alter their normal behavior like they do in some areas. You are diving with them in their natural state.

I run out of Morehead City so I have a natural bias for our area. Hatteras has great diving as well, but has limited boats. If you can get on the Lion's Paw or Under Pressure you will have a great experience. Morehead/Beaufort has an ample supply of large crew boats that will make it a lot easier to get a couple of seats. From DC it will take you about the same time to get both places although the Outer Banks are closer, they are also more remote.

My daughter made this video last August at the shark room on the Aeolus. As you can see you can get up close and personal with the Sandtigers, although I reprimanded my son for touching one. And after watching this video again I need to work with him on is buoyancy control. :shocked2: My son in law (without the wetsuit top) has an excuse because he only has 20 dives or so. He was very resistant to swim through the room with the sharks.

[video=vimeo;47494370]https://vimeo.com/47494370[/video]

I think travel time would be about the same between MHC/Beaufort & Hatteras, but I prefer Hatteras with MHC having quite a few operations to choose from if conditions determine that they all need to go to the same site it could be a bit crowded where as in Hatteras if both ops go to the same site it would still only be 12 divers on site.I prefer smaller groups so I like Tortuga tortugacharters.net » Dive Tortuga for when I am there.
In Hatteras there are 2 ops Dave at DiveHatteras.com - NC shipwreck diving at it's best!
and JT at Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site now I am biased as I mate on JTs boat (during the weekends) with the 1 and only diver lift in the USA & with the large air conditioned cabin that sleeps up to 8 makes the ride to & from the sites very pleasant.
The F. W. Abrams on Vimeo
We have sharks also this site is less than 90fsw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom