Max depth for humans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPEEDSTER

Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find my answer here, it's probably somewhere else on the web, but I think someone here will probably know off hand...What is the maximum depth the human body can withstand? Not worrying about the deco time you would incur from such a depth, or the PPO of your breathing gas, or any of the other logistics involved, what would that depth be? Just curious.

Mike

1,000 foot mark has been passed. It may have happened this year although I'm not sure about that. I think the guys last name is Bennet. A search on this site might provide an answer.

that should be about 449.9090 psi.

Kind of makes one wonder what the crush pressure is for the human body.

I failed to add in the 14.7 psi thats above the 1010 fsw.

9.36 hours is a long time to dive! I am just wondering since he went down that far and for that long if there was any type of recovery period and when can he dive again?!?
-Amber

Dear Readers:

Maximum Depth

I believe that the maximum for humans in a chamber dive is 2,200 feet (Duke University). The maximum for a mammal is held by a pig; French scientists (at COMEX, if memory serves me correctly) took him to 5,000 feet and back. Coming back is the key here, since many individuals have gone all the way to the bottom of the ocean.

Pressure effects will no doubt limit the maximum depth. If a raw egg is lowered to at least 10,000 feet below the surface, when returned, it appears to be hard boiled. The proteins have become denatured (= molecular shape changed) just as if it had been cooked.:fire:

Dr Deco :doctor:

MissAmberDiva once bubbled...
9.36 hours is a long time to dive! I am just wondering since he went down that far and for that long if there was any type of recovery period and when can he dive again?!?
-Amber

Without knowing the particulars about this dive, I would venture a guess that it was just a 'bounce dive.' He went down to depth, got the tag hung on the line to verify that he hit the alloted depth, then headed back for the surface.

The assuming a 30fpm ascent and descent rate, it would have taken approximately 67 minutes just in travel time. The vast majority of the remaining 8 1/2 hours was likely spent at depths of no greater than 200 feet doing decompression stops to offgas. Without seeing (or attempting to plan) a dive profile I would think that close to half of that time was spent doing deco at less than 100 ft.

Sure hope he brought a good book to read...

Back
Top Bottom