Maui's Manta Point and Carthaginian dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slingshot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have experience diving the site called "manta point" by Lahaina Divers? Is it a real manta cleaning station with a fair chance of seeing mantas, or is it just a name of convenience like "turtle reef"? Not a poke at Lahaina divers, but I haven't heard of this site before and wondered where it was and if it's a good dive. They pair it with their dive at the Carthaginian, and their day diving the wreck (Monday) fits better with an upcoming trip than Extended Horizon's day at the Carthaginian and Mala Wharf (Thursday) since I'm leaving on a Friday. Thanks.

Have you seen their video?

[vimeo]5462893[/vimeo]

Yeah Steve, looks promising, but dive companies post pictures of whalesharks or tigersharks they've seen, but I don't necessarily expect to see them on a typical dive. I've seen mantas during the day before, on Kona, but are they frequently seen at one point off Maui?

A friend of ours who is a Lahaina Divers' captain has told us that it's a manta cleaning station and they see mantas there regularly. No guarantees though....

We did it from shore 3 times in April. The first time we had 3 mantas come in and after a little do-si-do time, they got comfortable and would come right up to us while they hovered for cleaning. They stayed with us for about an hour. It was one of the more incredible encounters I've had underwater. The other two times we had a couple swim by but none stayed to play.

It's not the easiest place to get to or find from shore, so taking a boat trip or getting a local guide would probably increase your odds, and safety. We saw dive ops there the second two times but they got skunked as well from how it looked. I've heard afternoon is the better time.

How do you get to Manta Point from shore?
It didn't look to be all that far from shore. I noted some landmarks the last time I was there on a boat dive, but haven't tried it yet from shore. It definitely looked to be closer to shore than the St. Anthony's wreck, which I've swum out to from shore a half dozen times, with just over 20 minute swim. There is a wayside/parking area with a couple of porta-potties, somewhere around MM11/MM12 area that was directly inshore from the area we watched the mantas. My guess would be a 10 minute swim.

Hopefully spoolin01 can give us some more precise info on the best entry point.

I've not done this from a boat and only saw a couple boats stop here, but I'm talking about the Ukumehame Beach dive, just north of Coral Gardens and the last tunnel around the pali - I don't know if this is exactly what is referred to as Manta Point. It doesn't seem like a 'Point' to me...

If you go there most afternoons, I bet you'd see dive boats that would give you an
idea of the distance. It's a fair swim from shore, I'd estimate 300 yds minimum, but the real issue is that the first 200 yds are very shallow over the reef. It slopes gradually to maybe only 5 ft deep out at 200 yds, meaning that most of that distance is not swimmable over the reef in anything except the absolute flattest of swell conditions. To add to that, there are some inshore patches of higher reef top that you wouldn't want to pass over EVER!

There is however a sand channel you can swim OUT pretty easily. Back IN is a different matter. We encountered rip current in the channel - flowing away from the shore - that was all but impossible to swim against on one of the dives, and I would say the groundswell was only a couple of feet that day. Anything higher and I would seriously question whether you would be able to make your way back in. As it was, we swam off to the side of the channel, outside the rip, pulling ourselves along the bottom, until shallow enough that we could remove our fins and drive ourselves forward with our feet, up the sand channel. Given that you have to make 200 yds of headway across the shallows to hit shore, the line between manageable and IMPOSSIBLE at this spot is liable to be fine, and hard to assess precisely. It would be a long, long swim to anywhere with an easier exit, so you DON'T want to get stuck offshore by doing this on a chancy day - also don't forget the rip current strength probably varies with tidal state, which can change noticeably over the course of a 90 minute dive.

To find the entry, go north towards Lahaina from the Ukumehame parking lot a short distance, looking for some small sand dunes right along the edge of the road. The dunes are a little more than car-top height, and there are a couple of cuts through them that are about a car's width. The second to last cut, if I recall, is right about where the sand channel is. The channel bottom is clearly visible from the beach, and is about the width of a narrow two-lane road. There is more than one channel along that stretch but the one we used appeared to be the widest (and was described to us by a local), and heads more or less straight off shore. Once you get out to 5-6 ft depth the channel becomes less distinct. At that point we headed slightly leftwards, not quite at a 45 degree angle, until we got to 25 ft depth. We encountered the mantas over some nice patches of finger coral, but I have no idea how localized the cleaning stations are. My recollection is that the boats stopped well outside this area, but also a little bit farther south. Their divers swam through our area.

Good luck if you try it, just please pick your day carefully, and note a beach marker to help you find the channel back in!

Thanks for the info. The next time I'm headed to Lahaina I'll check it out, and maybe snorkel the area first.

I found on google maps what you described. Enter "Ukumehame Beach State Park, HI" in Google maps and then select satellite and it will give a pretty good picture of the various sand channels. Google puts the label about 1000' towards Lahaina from the parking lot, and I think the dunes and sand channels you refer to are just east of the Google label "Ukumehame Beach State Park". about 700' towards Lahaina from the parking lot entrance.

Using the street view I can see the dunes you referred to.
(And also even see the two porta-potties in the parking lot .... not exactly fixed reference points, but it works. :) )

My trips to the area were with Mike Severns. They were pretty much directly offshore from the parking lot.

It appears that there is a much larger and wider sand channel about 200' east (towards the Pali) from the east end of the parking lot. That would most likely not have anywhere near as bad as rip currents.

I don't think the currents are tidal, but are instead caused by waves bringing water over the top of the reef, which then flows back out seaward via the sand channels.

I don't think there is any one particular specific spot as a cleaning station. Mostly I've seen random juvenile saddle wrasses as the cleaners rather than the Hawaiian cleaner wrasse, who typically set up a cleaning station in one spot and stay there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom