Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
Taking my 2 adult kids diving in Maui Feb 25-Mar2. What is a good dive op for relatively inexperienced divers? What are the "must see" dive sites?

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

richhagelin:
Taking my 2 adult kids diving in Maui Feb 25-Mar2. What is a good dive op for relatively inexperienced divers? What are the "must see" dive sites?
B & B Scuba is a good dive op for new divers. They usually do the 1st dive at Molokini, which is the "must see" dive spot in South Maui (Kihei/Wailea/Makena).

My last dive on B&B was with a neighbor that had certified 5 years earlier and but had not gone diving since then, and his newly certified adult daughter. There were at least 3 or 4 DMs and instructors onboard and several other very new divers. Everyone had a good time.

If you are staying in West Maui (Lahaina/Kaanapali/Kapalua) and aren't willing to do the 50 minute drive to catch the early departure of B&B, then Extended Horizons out of Lahaina is a good alternative. They go across the channel to Lanai, where the signature dives are Cathedrals I and II.

Of course, there's TONNES of shore diving on Maui, too.

PM me with your contact details and planned availability and we'll see if we can't get together for a fun shore dive.

-kb

inexperinced divers do a shore dive from Ulua beach just south of Kehei near Makena, there is a place called turtle town in @ 40 feet, a turtle cleaning station that they will fall in love with, lot's to see

Mauifish:
inexperinced divers do a shore dive from Ulua beach just south of Kehei near Makena, there is a place called turtle town in @ 40 feet, a turtle cleaning station that they will fall in love with, lot's to see
OK, first off... "Turtle Town" refers to either Five Graves/ Five Caves area, or the point just south of Maluaka Beach. It really depends on the boat operator as to where this famed location is... but don't you want to visit it just because it's called Turtle Town?!?

Ulua does have a turtle cleaning station in ~35-40' -- make sure you get better directions to it if you're going diving there, it's not just a "there it is" sort of spot -- LOTS of coral and fish to see at Ulua.

KrisB:
OK, first off... "Turtle Town" refers to either Five Graves/ Five Caves area, or the point just south of Maluaka Beach. It really depends on the boat operator as to where this famed location is... but don't you want to visit it just because it's called Turtle Town?!?

Ulua does have a turtle cleaning station in ~35-40' -- make sure you get better directions to it if you're going diving there, it's not just a "there it is" sort of spot -- LOTS of coral and fish to see at Ulua.
was I off about a half mile? come on, 5 graves is good also but the entrance is to steep for young inexperienced divers, Ulua is better don't you agree?

If you want to boat dive, I would second the recommendation for B&B. I did my tenth dive of my life off a B&B boat, and they took great care of us, and I had a ball. They're quite accustomed to dealing with novice divers, and they can field a lot of DMs/instructors to take care of their client load.

There is excellent shore diving on Maui -- In fact, each time I go back, I do more shore diving and less boat diving. But it is weather dependent. Ulua Beach is a very good novice dive. Makena Landing is another, although it involves a significant surface swim. Old Airport Beach is a lovely, simple reef dive from shore.

Contact kidspot and talk to him about shore diving. Tim's a lovely diver and a delightful person, and has shown any number of people Maui's shore diving delights.

I just got back from Maui. My 5th trip. B&B is the way to go. I did all of my diving with them.

The way the Owner/Instructor talks to brand new divers is very calming.

I've been shore diving on Lanai, and been on the Extended Horizons trip. The boat dives at Cathedral II were my favorite. For Molokini, I've been out with Mike Severns twice, great trip each time. B&B seems well liked, I've not tried them yet. My dives with Mike Severns were my first dives after my OW cert. Molokini diving (I'm no expert mind you, just my two cents) can be a bit deep for a new diver, at least that's what I thought at the time. Looking up from 80 feet down and seeing people looking down from the deck of the dive boat at you helped to compensate, spectacular vis.

Mauifish:
was I off about a half mile? come on, 5 graves is good also but the entrance is to steep for young inexperienced divers, Ulua is better don't you agree?
Ulua is great! I love diving there! HOWEVER, knowing how to get to the turtle cleaning station isn't just "go dive and swim until your ~40' deep". And instead of having someone walk into a dive shop and say "I want to go to this place called turtle town that some guy on the Internet said was at Ulua Beach," I thought it better to correct.

For what it's worth, to get to the turtle cleaning station at Ulua, follow the "first reef" (a misnomer, since first and second reefs are connected) until you get to about 23' and a boulder field. Take a 300 degree heading across the sand, and you'll end up right near an antler coral head about 2.5' high. This is what most consider the start of 2nd reef. Follow the contour of the reef, keeping the sand on the left and the reef on the right until you get to about 35', then start looking for the turtles.

Careful to monitor air consumption -- not all beginners make it out that far, especially if they don't know exactly where they're going.

Of course, you could just contact a local for a friendly dive buddy to show you the site...

Makena Landing is a very easy entry and is essentially the same dive as 5 Graves, but in reverse. Some complain about the surface swim, but it isn't half as long as some of the others I've done here (Olowalu, for example, the turtle cleaning station at Maluaka, for another).

And for the record, Mauifish, you were off by 2.5 miles... you might as well have been talking about Pu'u Ola'i (Red Hill) and saying "Molokini". :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom