Maui vs. Big Island for first trip to HI

Maui or Big Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. I requested price quote from HW jeeps place for a 2 door Wrangler - hopefully I can fit 4 tanks and other gear in it...

That shouldn't be a problem, but don't plan on more than two people in the jeep with it as your gear may be overflowing into the back seat. The backseat and "trunk" area in the 2-doors are quite small. After our first 2-door rental, we switched to 4-doors for the extra space for the carseat in the back seat and considerably more trunk space.

I was just on the Big Island a couple of weeks ago and did six dives with Steve's op Wannadive. Saw Mantas on every dive and was on the lucky dive that saw the Tiger Shark. If I lived on the Island I would shore dive all the time, in fact this trip had me dreaming of that very situation. There's a great spot at the mouth of the harbor that Steve can probably chime in on where I saw some shore divers, but definitely check out Puako which seems ideal.

(((kevin)))

Did you do shore dives or boat dives with them? HIJeeps basically came back with a price quote that is even higher than I could get booking directly with Hertz so wherever I can get to on a 2wd I will try to get. Thanks for recommendation, Puako is on my list.

Are there any notable boat diving sites that we should request while there?

HIJeeps basically came back with a price quote that is even higher than I could get booking directly with Hertz so wherever I can get to on a 2wd I will try to get.

You must have a great discount with Hertz. Best price I could get for a 2dr Wrangler was $100/day directly from any of the rental agencies.

Last edited:
We drove our regular rental car (Dodge Charger) on the dirt road to Puako no problem, and the site at the mouth of the harbor seemed easy to get to and paved all the way. I did boat dives with Wannadive as it was a family vacation and I only had three half-days to dive. This made it much easier time-wise for me, but if you have time for shore diving, I would think you could do multiple days at Puako and not get bored. As far as the sites go I would just trust the op. I did a couple of dives at or near the same site where the night manta dive is, I think it's called Garden Eel Cove, and every dive was different. I think the site where we saw the tiger shark was called Kaiwi Pt.

(((kevin)))

Google street view shows some divers gearing up by the side of the road. Were you entering at the church or the village end point? Thanks.

The 2-door jeep Wrangler is only just perfect for two adults & full gear. The backseat folds back unto itself, but it doesn't give that much more space.
There's a slant - it's not flush.

I wanted to remove the backseat and leave it inside our condo for the week...it didn't come out! WTH Ford is your problem? Minivans you can remove the rear seat, unless it's the hide-away version.

I have twice the trunk space in my Prius - I've ferried four adult divers, cold water gear, eight tanks, and two coolers.
Only problem? Ground clearance. That loaded, my car was scratching speed bumps in the shopping mall (those big fat ones).
Though I still got over 40mpg on the highway.

I was appalled at the Jeep's mpg while in Maui. Two and a half tanks - 75$ per full fill-up, just to do 700 miles. Fun to drive though! To "Road to Hana" was a blast with the jeep. Not for ground clearance, but the view! You sit high, see far, little obstructions to your view.

In this car-ruled world - you can't have fun, room & mpg all at the same time. Even a Lexus CT200h - basically a sexed up Prius in a Matrix-delux-interior - isn't that different.

I would have rented instead a Ford Escape Hybrid - that's one high clearance I like with twice the mpg as a wrangler...none available though. :(

The Prius rentals were all rented out too. If you don't want to pay 100$ per day (and gas might be another 20 per day) - you'll just have to park on the road and walk to the non-paved roads to the many hidden - hard to reach beaches.

Just my two cents but if you end up in Maui, and you are AOW certified, make sure you do the back wall of Molokini. After three trips I finally got to do it, two dies in one trip with Lahaina Divers, and this is by far the best diving in Maui that I have done!! I have yet to hit Molokai due to scheduling but that will happen in the next year, 😊.

Also, was very happy with Lahaina divers and would recommend them to others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom