Maui vs. Big Island for first trip to HI

Maui or Big Island?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BID used to post their daily rental rates online, as did Jack's as I recall, but I couldn't find the BID rates recently, either. I think the standard daily rate is $5 for weights and $10 for a filled tank. I *believe* that Jack's and a couple of the other places charge the same daily rates, from recollection of phone calls to them 2 yrs ago. Jack's also has a policy of free additional fills for that tank, within the same day, if I've gotten that right (it's even possible BID does the same thing - I seem to recall there was some other available angle to the daily charge for an in-day refill, my memory just fails me). I'm also fairly sure that BID has a weekly rate of $25 for the tank, but you pay for all fills after the first - that's the deal we took. They sell a 10 tank fill card for $40, but I don't recall what their single fill rate is. I don't know what the standard weekly discount for weights is, but you should negotiate over it if you think it's too much (anywhere you rent).

The reason I'm hedging my quotes constantly is that BID has several different plans and options for renting various gear packages and I hesitate to quote firm prices.

I can't recall seeing a diver with a float flag on Kona, though the spearfishers use them almost universally. We did see fish and game officers for the first time ever, while we were gearing up, but they didn't stop. It's not uncommon, but far from universal, to see dive flags on Maui, from what I've noticed. We bought one there and used it sporadically - the inflatable type that packs small and light. I've never brought it with me to Kona, but I use it here a lot on the drift line when I boat dive. You can find them at the shops and the Wal/K/Targ-marts - I never asked about rental, but they aren't expensive to buy. The 'marts, and to a lesser extent Longs and even Ace Hardware, carry a decent selection of snorkel, dive, and surf gear - masks, fins, boots, gloves, bags, pole spears. A REALLY important piece of gear for Kona shore diving, in my opinion, is dive boots with the felt sole, which you can get at Walmart for $30 (when they have your size - if you're a 7, 8 or 12, 13, usually no problem). I'm pretty sure they can also be found at dive shops there. I've never slipped on lava or a wet rock since using these (great item if you tromp up the rivers to find the waterfalls), but good luck staying on your feet on the fiberglass dive boat! In a pinch, they sell the Tabi boots that look like dive boots with felt soles for less. They have a divider between the big and first toes, and the seams inside rub my feet raw in several places. I got Sea Sports brand at WalMart this trip, but I think Aeropec makes them as well, and one or two others that you may be able to find online if you don't want to trust your luck at WalMart in Kona.

Last edited:
Thanks again, this pricing information is very helpful. Hopefully we can negotiate the weights pricing - Jacks locker lists $10 for 24 hours for up to 25lbs which will not be enough for the two of us. Like you suggested another way to do this is just get a set of weights and ship them for $15 each way by USPS (large box). We are planning to do morning double tank dives on most of the days and do 1-2 tanks shore on some days. If we end up liking shore diving there we may just stick to it.

As for the boots - I was planning to bring my cold water 5mm henderson boots with hard soles which are very sturdy and provide good traction on the boat and on shore entries. I read somewhere about large number of sea urchins at certain sites so hopefully hard sole can protect should someone step on one.

Another related question - can all of the shore diving sites mentioned in this thread be reached by car or do we need a 4x4? Thanks.

It's not the drive train so much as ground clearance for many of the unimproved access roads. For some, probably nothing short of a truck or SUV would have adequate clearance. But for many, a car will do with some careful driving. We had a Mazda 3 that was fine for several roads we like to access, whereas the Chevy Malibu was a little lower and much more challenging.

I did Maui first - didn't have a choice, but would have loved to be on Big Island, for the same reasons I prefer Maui over Oahu.
The people, and the quantity of thereof.

Lower density of people, marinas and golf courses, better marine life. Maui has lots of protected zones, which just makes it beautiful.

Someone mentioned that local rental agencies limit you to where you can and cannot take their car on the island (summit of Mauna Kea and some sites up north). Is there truth to that and is something like Chevy Malibu going to make it to Two Steps, Ke'ei, Puako Village and some of the other most recommended shore sites on Kona side? Thanks.

In Maui I rented a 2-door Jeep Wrangler with hard roof. Left the condo, nice & sunny, took the roof off.

Some 30 minutes later, going around a volcano, a massive dark blue cloud right in front of us.

Moral - practice putting in on, off, on, a few times, or else you'll get a good soaking. A jeep is necessary for many of the "hidden" beaches. You see regular cars parked on the paved road and people walk it.

Someone mentioned that local rental agencies limit you to where you can and cannot take their car on the island (summit of Mauna Kea and some sites up north). Is there truth to that and is something like Chevy Malibu going to make it to Two Steps, Ke'ei, Puako Village and some of the other most recommended shore sites on Kona side? Thanks.

No issues with Two Step or Puako (paved); Ke'ei requires some off-roading. With prudent driving you could probably make it in (and out!) of Ke'ei in a 2WD.

Thanks. I requested price quote from HW jeeps place for a 2 door Wrangler - hopefully I can fit 4 tanks and other gear in it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom