[Maui] Ulua Night Dive, 08/02/2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSeanMaui

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I was diving Ulua at dusk. The conditions were a little stirred up but it seemed ok. I swam out to the end of the first reef and hit The Fog which was impenetrable 0 foot vis... I tried to go around it over the reef which was a scary brail swim through urchins! :) I tried again and turned back, then again, and it was better and I made it!!! I headed to the north along the back end of reef one and cruised the boulders... I had patchy bad vis spots and I was a little spooked. I elected to head back and passed a few divers on the way. I saw a few fish I found interesting but hundreds of "brittle-star-like" starfish on the reef. On my way in I noticed the plankton was aggregating on my light.. It got so heavy I was getting uncomfortable... I found a few Frogfish on my way back and was limited by the plankton around me.... I did see 1 Frogfish with his lure out and another one just perched on some coral... All in all it was a fun dive but I wish I had better vis and less plankton!

Photos here:

http://www.scubapost.net/blogs/?q=node/181

Sean

Scubapost.net - Socal Diving and Beyond!

Cool shots - I really like the ones of the cone shell with his "stinger tube" extended. I've never seen them like that before.

Aloha, Tim

That cone was having a good time. It's called a Striated Cone and "dangerous to humans." p. 141 HI Sea Creatures. I guess it sneekes up on sleeping fish and stings them then eats 'em :)

I'm glad I didn't touch it!

Sean

justleesa:
Very cool pics Sean! Even the Frogfish had his little thingie out :wink:

Thanks Lisa! hehe nice way of putting it! I didn't see it's lure when I saw the Frogfish... I was stoked since it's the first time I saw the lure during or after the dive! Anyone know anything about the Frogfish lure? Where do they store it when it's not out? :) I saw the yellow one a few days earlier near the same spot... I was thinking "there must be a Frogfish around here" and violla there he was! :) So lucky!!

Sean

justleesa:
Very cool pics Sean! Even the Frogfish had his little thingie out :wink:

OK! Now I'm curious! I think you need to conduct a "thingie" identification class!:D

hee hee....I've only seen them with the lure out on night dives....that might be their trick

Thingie can be used for pretty much anythingie :wink:

Thanks Alcina! I'll have to look more closely next time I see one. The plankton was so thick I couldn't really check it out.... If it's not one thing it's something else!!! :(

Sean

kidspot:
Cool shots - I really like the ones of the cone shell with his "stinger tube" extended. I've never seen them like that before.

Aloha, Tim
If I understand correctly, stinging is not the only purpose of that "tube" -- I believe it's referred to as a syphon and has other sensory purposes as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom