Maui Shore Diving and Trip Questions !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II:
If you don't get there early, you'll never get parking at the free lot. Plus, it's much easier when you don't have to navigate through the throngs of beach goers.
Yeah, parking can be a hassle. That, and the long hikes to and from the car are the biggest drawback to Black Rock. Of course, hitting a strong opposing current and having to backtrack, hike to the other side, and then drift in the other direction isn't all that much fun either, but that doesn't happen very often.

What I've found to be easiest is for one person to drop off all the gear on the north side of the Sheraton, right next to the golf course. They then go back and park in the nearest corner of the Whaler's parking lot (assuming the normal condition of no spaces in the corner of the Sheraton parking structure reserved for beach goers). After doing a north-to-south drift around the rock and coming out on the south side of the point, you can either hike back to the beach parking, or cut back past the Sheraton tennis courts to where you got dropped off.
A couple bucks for a smoothy or a cup of coffee at the kiosk in the food court in the lower section of the Whalers will get you a parking validation stamp.

I love the Mala Wharf dive. That's my favorite of the ones I've done on Maui. Tons of structure and big schools of fish, and we've seen sharks there each time, too.

A couple bucks for a smoothy or a cup of coffee at the kiosk in the food court in the lower section of the Whalers will get you a parking validation stamp.

The Whaler's Village parking validation rules seem to have changed.

We were up there a few weeks ago and they wouldn't validate it unless we spent $15 or more in the store (this was the rule at several places, incl. ABC Store).

So... just go into ABC and buy some post-dive libations amounting to $15. :D

Mala Warf is awesome. I would choose that over Black Rock. We did several shore dives at Mala and there is tons to see. I would reccomend Pacific Dive Maui in Lahina as a dive shop. They fill their own tanks and are very helpful. Maui Dive Shop is good but they wanted the tanks back in 24 hours or thay would charge you. Pacific Dive started a bar tab and said bring them back when your done and we'll exchange them for new ones. They said just settle up when your done for the week.

Boat dive I would use Ed Robinsons. They go where you want to go. I can't say enough about this outfit.
Maui Dive Shop is the only one that does the Carthaginian wreck and Vali Coast night dive. I would do that again in a second.
PM me if you want to see the photos from Mala Warf

Extended Horizons also does the Carthinigian in the afternoons. . .

I agree with Kris on the parking validations at Whalers Village. . . most shops have the $15 minimum, but different shops had different minimums. . . Maggi

That's good to know. Did they do the Wreck with the night dive as a 2 tanker?

Boat dive I would use Ed Robinsons. They go where you want to go. I can't say enough about this outfit.

And I can't say enough *bad* about this outfit. Truly... their hubris is more off-putting than a particular outfit that was recently discussed -- if only because they're more coy about it. ERDA is the *last* outfit I'd dive with on Maui.

You'll find that most boats here will poll the passengers as to dive site. *Usually* at least one dive is done at Molokini, though not always, and sometimes both.

Maui Dive Shop is the only one that does the Carthaginian wreck and Vali Coast night dive. I would do that again in a second.

I think you man "Pali" coast -- pretty generic name and refers to several miles of coastline ("pali" means cliff, and the "pali coastline" on Maui is a stretch between Lahaina & Maalaea).

While they may be the only ones to do this as a night dive... I'd rather be there during the day. :)

Back
Top Bottom