Maui Shore Diving and Trip Questions !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PePaw

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Okay, just two more weeks before hitting Maui. Thought i'd hit up the locals for information.

We'll be staying at the Marriott Ocean Club in Kanapali (sp). We've sceduled a weeks worth of diving but i'd like to also get in a couple of shore dives. The first would be on Monday morning June 11th at say 6:30 ish.

Can you point me in the direction of a good shore dive close to my Hotel ?
And anybody want to join us ? It will be myself and my oldest daughter. I'm AOW but don't have many dives, but my daughter is a DM /EFR Instructor. I would get in the water anywhere with her !

A couple of questions about Maui diving....
Are gloves and dive knives allowed ?
Don't want to break any laws or rules.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm not a local, but I spend at least a week on Maui every year (often 2 or more weeks) so......a great first dive to get the kinks out is Black Rock, right in front of the Sheraton. Since you're planning to dive early, get tanks and weights the night before at Maui Dive Shop (at Whaler's Village in Kaanapali), then drive down to the Sheraton where you can park for free, and walk out to the ocean (there's a parking garage right before the entrance to the Sheraton where you can park). Navigation is a snap, keep the wall to the right as you swim around and to your left as you swim back. :wink: It's also a really nice night dive spot.

Getting there early is definitely key to doing Black Rock.

Paco II:
Getting there early is definitely key to doing Black Rock.
Why?

The conditions don't seem to change that much during the day since it is relatively well sheltered against the tradewinds. Mid-afternoon on the way back in to the Sheraton beach there will be more snorkelers above and you are more likely to have one of the local kids jump off the rocks to try and surprise you, but that isn't really a problem.

Black Rock is also a really nice night dive.

-------------

PePaw -- There are some marine sanctuaries where taking anything is prohibited (Molokini and Honolua Bay among them), but knives and gloves are allowed. One law you might be concerned about is the requirement for a dive flag. Black Rock is inside a "no boat allowed" zone and you don't need a dive flag, but it is a state requirement at other dive sites. Like in many areas, a large percentage of divers ignore the dive flag law, and many others just tow the flag out a few feet and anchor it until picking it back up on the way in.

In addition to Black Rock, the popular and easy Old Airport dive site is just north of you a mile or two, and the Mala Wharf is 2 or 3 miles to the south of you. There are lots of other nice sites in West Maui, including Honolua Bay about 10 miles to the north.

Charlie99:

If you don't get there early, you'll never get parking at the free lot. Plus, it's much easier when you don't have to navigate through the throngs of beach goers.

Thanks, i'll put Black Rock on for Monday morning. Mala Wharf is also something i'll look up for later in the week. Anybody want to come along ?

Black Rock is inside a "no boat allowed" zone and you don't need a dive flag, but it is a state requirement at other dive sites. Like in many areas, a large percentage of divers ignore the dive flag law, and many others just tow the flag out a few feet and anchor it until picking it back up on the way in.

???

I realize that if boats aren't allowed that it makes sense a dive flag wouldn't be needed, but are you *sure* there's an exemption on having one there?

Also, there's nothing wrong with anchoring your flag near your exit point -- the meat of the dive flag law is a) every dive group must have one and display it while diving; and b) every diver must (barring emergencies) surface within 100' of a flag.

Also, in mention of Honolua and Molokini, both Marine Life Conservation Districts... "taking" means more than it sounds. It can be interpreted to mean anything as strict as doing something that would alter the natural behaviour of the wildlife. That means no fish feeding, no touching of anything live (incl. coral, fish, sea cucumbers).

I'm game for diving with you guys at some point... I'll PM you my phone number.

Thanks for all the help.
I'm assuming you can rent a dive flag buoy since we won't be bringing our own.
Kris, have your number, i'll call when we hit the island !
Mike

We got a guide with all the shore dive sites from Maui Dive shop which was very helpful. I think we checked out every site. We couldn't dive some due to surf and surge at the time, but it was fun investigating. Another nice little dive near you is old airport beach. It's shallow, but the reef is right there like 10 feet offshore. We saw several turtles and eels. The access is as easy as it comes with parking and washroom facilities right there. If you do Mala wharf (which was a good little dive too) go in the morning to avoid boat traffic. I was lucky to have a local guide show me some good sites and give some good advice. (thanks again Tim, if you're around :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom