Maui shore dives for newbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

• I would be bringing my own gear ( minus tanks and weights)
  • my son would need to rent

It just occurred to me that when I was on the boat with Scuba Shack they were selling their rental gear. If I remember correctly they were replacing it every 3 months, at least the BCs and regulators. It might be worth looking into if your son needs to start buying gear.

On Scuba Shack's dive boat all you needed to bring was your swim suit--they provided everything else. I'd ask to make sure they still do that.

I was just looking at the Tiny Bubbles site and they also include all of the gear with the price posted. I'm thinking that having the gear included might be the standard in Hawai'i, or at least on Maui.

So a couple of questions:

• Is it feasible for us to shore dive on our own / after a " refresher " shore with a local shop?
  • Are the places mentioned above good snorkel areas for the family while my son and I get some bottom time?
  • I need to do research on local rules and regs ( have a dive flag, entry points, etc) , any help there is appreciated.
  • Any local dive shops that can help us with this next adventure :) ..

Maui Dreams (among others) in Kihei are a good resource for a refresher shore dive and for rental tanks/weights.
Honalua Bay is very nice but it requires a 500 yd walk from the parking area, and the entrance is a bit rocky.
Two other dives you might consider include 5 Caves at Makena, south of Kihei (good parking, easy entrance, bit of a surface swim) and the old Mala Pier in Lahaina (legal entry on the left side of the pier is a bit tough but the dive is my favorite shore dive in Maui)
Dive flag is required and can be rented with the tanks.

JamesBon, good call on the rental gear for sale, we have a few local shops here in Oregon that are doing the same, Ideally I can get him a nice BC and regulator prior to our visit so he can get acclimated to his own gear on this trip , that is if he doesn't grow a few more inches between now and then :).

PJHANSMAN , thank you for those recommendations , I have heard and read a lot of good things about the Pier , that is making the list for sure , I will also make sure to check out Maui Dreams , along with Shaka Diving which was recommended in some other threads, TripAdvisor had a few other shops that seem to rate pretty well.

Appreciate the feedback and support you guys , thanks a ton!

Top Shot,
I will be there the last 2 weeks in July. We are mostly doing boat dives. I would contact Shaka Doug and verify that he will service the west side of Maui, I seem to recall that he did not so that when I spoke to him. If you can swing it there are some extremely interesting dive from the boats. For me the must do dives are Molokini and Lanai Cathedrals. We will be doing a night dive with Extended Horizons out of Lahina. They also do shore dives and they are close to where you will be staying which is nice. I am going to request the Mala Pier as our night dive just because it has so much structure. The dive flag is something you will want to look into, some say the enforcement changes depending which beach you dive. Black Rock is an easy dive but speak with the dive shops that dive around there as some of the access points have changed for gear drop off. As far as the wetsuits go we will have 3mm, I have a shorty and she has a full, most places recommend the full suits but that is personal preference. Here is a site that talks about the known shore dive sites and how to best dive them and the associated skill level involved. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands hope this helps you out.

Good summary. I am in the same situation....will be in Maui this week in Kaanapali. I am a DM with a newly certified teen diver - wife and younger kids will seim and dnorkel. Wanted to do a few basic dives to give my son an intro to HI dives. Requested a few quotes for a guide...just to give us the ease of local knowledge...but the prices were surprisingly high. (And I worked as a DM on Oahu a number of years ago...was shocked with the price quotes.) If anyone knows a good local guide that would be great, otherwise may just grab some gear and follow the tips in here.

Some comments.

You're staying in Kapalua which is NW Maui. People here suggesting Kihei/Wailea sites are talking about locations an hour drive south of you. And operators that can't work that area - like Shaka Doug - since he only has a permit for south Maui afaik. I don't even think MDDC gets up that far - their shop is in Kihei.

What you want are West Maui operations. For shore diving, Maui Dive Shop has a location in Kahana Gateway Mall - you'll pass it anytime you drive down from Kapalua to Ka'anapali or Lahaina. In Ka'anapali is Tiny Bubbles - all they do is shore/scooter dive in that general area. They'd be a good choice for Old Airport, Mala Pier or possibly even Kapalua Bay which is a nice beach/shallow shore dive if you wanted a guide initially. Also Scuba Mike guides in that area as well. So do some of the staff from Extended Horizons - one of the Lahaina-based boat dive operators - IIRC they guide most afternoons.

Rental tanks/flags are at the MDS shop in Kahana - their other locations are only snorkel gear now. I've also gotten tanks at Lahaina Divers in downtown Lahaina but it was more due to convenience since we were shore diving in the area. I believe Extended Horizons also has tank rentals. Weights cost extra typically.

So let's talk about dives:

The obvious easy one is Kapalua Bay - it's a shallow dive, good snorkel, excellent beach all in one.
Very pictiresque. Any gplfers? - the Bay Course is the famous one where you drive out over the ocean and the wind brings you ball back to the green.

Just south of there is Napili Bay, I like the north point of the bay there. Also a walk in off the beach entry.

Most Maui beaches are - the beaches are nice and one or both points of the bay have lava formations the fish like. Actually the middle of the bay/beach is less diveable, often pretty sandy and shallow.

Old Airport (Kahekili) is another easy entry and you can park pretty close to the water if there early enough. Sort of SW off the beach is where they used to load the sugar cane ship[s - they dropped lots of stuff in the water. Look for some long poles (masts?) in about 30' and for octopus in the debris field there - even during the day we found 2-3. Just don't stare directly at them or you'll never see them - I spot them with a sideways glance initially.

IDK the current situation at Black Rock, there used to be a dive shack on the beach so you'd drop gear then park in the Sheraton garage and walk balk - Black Rock itself is on the north end of the beach. Some years ago I heard some of the local shops also were dropping gear at an entry point near the golf course north and doing the dive to the south. Tiny Bubbles or Extended Horizons would know where. For the family, Black Rock is almost as good a snorkel but it will be more crowded at the surface. Nice beach with the Sheraton facilities behind it also. We had a decent lunch there once.

As others have said Mala Pier is a good dive. As mentioned the legal entry is on the left side. Likely see a few whitetips sleeping under the pier and lots of fish.

It's a hike down to the water at Honolua or Mokule'ia - like maybe 1/4 mi. downhill. I haven't dove either because of it.

At Olawalu occasionally you see Tigers, they don't bother the divers but snorkelers can look like turtles:). Likely they'll leave when they see/smell you b4 you get close but swimmers have been attacked there.

You mentioned Ulua - fyi that's like an hour drive south. If you are going to do that, dive Polo or Wailea also - at Wailea the beach is shared by the Grand Wailea resort so there's a dive operation there.

Otherwise you'd want to get tanks at Maui Dreams Dive Co or the main Maui Dive Shop - both in Kihei. Of course in that area Shaka Doug is an option with the Dive Bus - I've seen him once at Makena Landing. Or Maui Dreams Dive Co, since they mostly shore dive the area also.

You might want to consider a couple boat dives also - they get you out to one of the other islands and deeper water. Extended Horizons goes out to Lanai (the Cathedrals are the signature dive) and nearby, Lahaina Divers has the bigger boats and does both Lanai and sends a boat south to Molokini every other day which is the other signature dive area.

hfh,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom