Maui resort diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would love to see sharks, and mantas... anything that you wouldnt see in the great lakes... so most things. Whale Sharks would be awesome to see. I am just sooo excited to be going to Maui, and to be back in the ocean! So any colourful marine life would be awesome to see.

frenchmonkee:
I would love to see sharks, and mantas... anything that you wouldnt see in the great lakes... so most things. Whale Sharks would be awesome to see. I am just sooo excited to be going to Maui, and to be back in the ocean! So any colourful marine life would be awesome to see.
Both white-tip reef sharks and mantas are possibilities at Molokini, and inshore as well, depending on conditions and site.

Whale sharks are an uncommon treat, I'm told that's usually a mid-December thing, if at all.

I can say unequivically: you will see plenty that you don't find in the Great Lakes! :D

PM me your travel plans and I might be able to meet up for some shore dives -- unfortunately, I'm away from Jan 2-8... which might be exactly when you're here. :(

Fishpics Hawaii is my favorite reef identification site, with catagories for fish, critters and coral, plus a page of just the endemic fish. Keoki and Yuko Stender have a really incredible collection of pictures, recently updated.

If you are quiet you will nearly always hear Humpback song while diving that time of year, sometimes you don't have to be quiet. You should see them on the surface during the boat rides and SI. That is a little before peak season but a few groups every winter see Humpbacks underwater. The odds are astronomical but you just never know.

There is a very popular guide book series for traveling to the Hawaiian Islands; Maui Revealed is a book many visitors swear by. Have fun both above and below the surface.

I second the recommendation about Maui Revealed... but there has been some controversy over the free right-of-way type stuff that is advocated in that book, and as a result the new edition will not have as much of it (I'm told).

Ultimately, if one of your planned endeavours includes crossing private (or "access forbidden") land, ALWAYS seek permission first.

Oh, and that Fish ID site looks awesome! Nice find, Steve!

Thanks for the fish site Halemano - very good source of identification pics.

FrenchMonkee - As Halemano pointed out, there are very few Bad ops (I can only think of 1) and even they have good instructors :wink:

Doing your rescue via boat or shore both present unique circumstances that are valuable to learn, I'd recommend doing whichever reflects the type of diving you most frequently do - That way you are most prepared for emergencies in that situation. My preference is B&B Scuba (boat), however Maui Dreams has a great reputation for their rescue classes also (shore). Both of these shops also seem to have the lowest prices if that is a concern to you.

Another option is to contact an instructor from the board directly like Halemano or Shaka Doug.

Aloha, Tim

Maui Revealed is a lovely book with decent info but they will have you tresspassing a time or two if you believe everything you read :)

If you come across a "keep out" sign, might as well pay attention, there are plenty of places to go without upsetting a landowner.

New class for me starts tomorrow night. Since it's lousy conditions for checkouts here in the north pole we do 6 class and pool sessions and then it's off to 42 degree water for the finish.

Man I'm suffering some serious envy right now.

kidspot:
want me to mail you some warm Maui water?

I wouldn't trust any container containing fluids from you buddy :)

Even though Doug's site explains the chemical heat packs well, my first thought in reading Kidspot's post about "heated wetsuits" was of divers with REALLY LONG extension cords!! <LOL>

Back
Top Bottom