Maui question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdubdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I will be on Maui in a little less than a month ( Jan 4-12) Are there any signifcant elevation changes on the road to Hana that would be adverse to going to after diving. I want to go to Hana with my non diving family members and have to plan when I go, if there is no elevation then no big deal, I just want to double check. Thanx

The early sections go up around 700 or 800' and as it pulls away from the coast halfway to Hana the road is a bit over 1000', but still less than 1500'. By that time you will have been out of the water for at least a hour or two, so it shouldn't be a problem, particularly if you stop in Paia for lunch and/or stop at Hookipo to watch the surfers and windsurfers for a while.

Since the highway goes over 1000', it might be a technical violation of some altitude rules, but not by much.

Since the highway goes over 1000', it might be a technical violation of some altitude rules, but not by much.
Revised Flying After Diving Guidelines
DAN:
The following guidelines are the consensus of attendees at the 2002 Flying After Diving Workshop. They apply to air dives followed by flights at cabin altitudes of 2,000 to 8,000 feet (610 to 2,438 meters) for divers who do not have symptoms of decompression sickness (DCS). The recommended preflight surface intervals do not guarantee avoidance of DCS. Longer surface intervals will reduce DCS risk further.

For a single no-decompression dive, a minimum preflight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested.

For multiple dives per day or multiple days of diving, a minimum preflight surface interval of 18 hours is suggested.

For dives requiring decompression stops, there is little evidence on which to base a recommendation and a preflight surface interval substantially longer than 18 hours appears prudent.
When I called DAN asking about living in Pukalani and working as a dive instructor/guide, above 2,000' we recommend same as flying was the answer (or was it 2000' and up). :eyebrow:

The official elevation is ~1,500', but it is on the slopes of a shield volcano. The golf course clubhouse is 1,100' and some houses considered Pukalani are above 2000'.

Thanks, we are looking at that area as an option to move but honestly I'd rather be a bit closer in. We've lived in a very rural community for 15 years now and I'm ready for city life :). But those darn horses may be heading that way too, if I can't get her convinced otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom