Maui or the Big Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dove with both Bottom Time and BID, Manta Ray night dive with BID was good. I Heard Bottom Time changed owners. South Kona SCUBA next to Kona Boys in Kealakekua was great for guided diving @ Two Step/Place of Refuge.

I am looking at Dive Makai, Bottom Time, and Big Island Divers. I would also like to find a shore diving guide. I will have my niece with me who is very new to diving. I need a dive op that is very good with new divers. Thanks for all your replies. I know it's very early but I am so excited about this trip.

I dove with BID for the manta night dive last year. I was (am) a newbie with less than 10 logged dives at that time. I would suggest booking a 2-tank dive for your manta dive excursion. The first dive that takes place in the late afternoon will do a lot to alleviate any nervousness your niece might have about diving later on that night. Also, be sure she informs the captain and DM that she is new. They are a very accomodating outfit for new divers.

Dove with both Bottom Time and BID, Manta Ray night dive with BID was good. I Heard Bottom Time changed owners. South Kona SCUBA next to Kona Boys in Kealakekua was great for guided diving @ Two Step/Place of Refuge.

I also dove with them @ Two Step/Place of Refuge. A dive guide isn't necessary there, but probably recommended if your niece will be joining you as well. They're also great with new divers.

When I was there in Dec, South Kona Scuba was no longer at that spot. I ran into one of the owners at Two Step/Honaunau and he said he's still working, just no shop.

Maine Diver - at Kahaluu you can swim across the break line at the end of the breakwater but it's fairly shallow, maybe 8 ft in places, so it can be 'dynamic' when the groundswell is up. Go left around the wall and there's a bunch of canyons all along the way to down past the Outrigger Keauhou. I like that dive, but it's not terribly scenic as I recall aside from the structure. You can also swim out to the right up the coast for a little better coral but more uniform topography. There are a couple of other public access points to that region just up the road as well. 4 Mile is a nice site about 3/4 mile up that way, with an arch and small swim-through. I've tried several access points between there and Kailua and they've all been nice though often not as good viz as can be found. A lot of the Kona sites can be accessed by a giant stride off the water's edge, which makes them easier than a sloping shore entry, no breaking waves - the trick is picking a good spot to get out, where water is not moving back and forth much, and to know when to wait for calmer seas. Have fun, but be careful!

I dove with BID for the manta night dive last year. I was (am) a newbie with less than 10 logged dives at that time. I would suggest booking a 2-tank dive for your manta dive excursion. The first dive that takes place in the late afternoon will do a lot to alleviate any nervousness your niece might have about diving later on that night. Also, be sure she informs the captain and DM that she is new. They are a very accomodating outfit for new divers.

I also dove with them @ Two Step/Place of Refuge. A dive guide isn't necessary there, but probably recommended if your niece will be joining you as well. They're also great with new divers.

If I take her on any shore dives, I want a guide along. While I am comfortable in the water, I am not experienced enough to lead a total newbie. I need to get lots more dives and experience under my belt. It's all about continually learning and sharpening my dive skills. I will for sure be doing the manta dive. I also hope to do the black water dive.

When I was there in Dec, South Kona Scuba was no longer at that spot. I ran into one of the owners at Two Step/Honaunau and he said he's still working, just no shop.

Maine Diver - at Kahaluu you can swim across the break line at the end of the breakwater but it's fairly shallow, maybe 8 ft in places, so it can be 'dynamic' when the groundswell is up. Go left around the wall and there's a bunch of canyons all along the way to down past the Outrigger Keauhou. I like that dive, but it's not terribly scenic as I recall aside from the structure. You can also swim out to the right up the coast for a little better coral but more uniform topography. There are a couple of other public access points to that region just up the road as well. 4 Mile is a nice site about 3/4 mile up that way, with an arch and small swim-through. I've tried several access points between there and Kailua and they've all been nice though often not as good viz as can be found. A lot of the Kona sites can be accessed by a giant stride off the water's edge, which makes them easier than a sloping shore entry, no breaking waves - the trick is picking a good spot to get out, where water is not moving back and forth much, and to know when to wait for calmer seas. Have fun, but be careful!

I may just enjoy the snorkeling at Kahaluu and save the diving for better sites. I'm hoping as the time gets closer, I might find a buddy who wants to try some shore diving.

East Hawaii Divers is who I got certified with. It's one dude that used to own a dive shop, got tired of all of the stresses involved in that, and now just does his thing out of his truck/home. But, he's a real great guy and really flexible with time. I would recommend him for new divers, for sure. And if I remember right, his prices are a little lower than most people's (as a result of fewer business expenses)

Back
Top Bottom