Maui or the Big Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maine Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, We have been to both and love them. Now that I am a diver, I'm not sure which offers better diving. I am comfortable with both shore diving(actually I prefer it) and boat diving. I have to balance my diving with families non diving needs. We will be booking a trip for christmas this year.

Thanks

Although we haven't dived the Big Island, we dive Maui every year and adore it, so I can't compare.

One big advantage of Maui to us is that we can dive 4 islands (Maui, Molokini, Lanai, and Molokai) if we want (we always dive 3 of them!), and shore diving is easily available, varied, and good (though we don't shore dive on Maui). Since we go in the winter, the whale encounters are also stupendous on Maui, with the channel between islands being thick with whales this year!! We heard whale song on every dive, sometimes loud enough to vibrate through us, and of course our underwater whale sighting that is still surreal (glad we got photos!).

We have been to the Big Island as tourists (pre-diving days) and although there was quite a bit to do, we think Maui has better (and more) activities and beaches for the non-diver. And honestly, we've had more than one opportunity to trade our Maui timeshare week for time on the Big Island but haven't because we love Maui and diving there so much.

I've done maybe 10 trips to the Big Island - all for the purpose of shore diving, should be >100 dives by now - and 3 similar to Maui. There are more than a few Maui shore dives I haven't tried yet (everything from Lahaina north except Honolua Bay, but down south I've tried a dozen or more spots between Ulua and La Perouse, and I find no reason to put Maui shore diving even into the same discussion with the Big Island. I've been in Maui at Xmas, and in April and early May, and Kona typically early Dec or April-May - I don't know to what extent seasonality has influenced my experience. The visibility, structure, number of easily identifiable and accessible sites, extent and quality of coral, and number and size of fish all solidly favor the Big Island that I have found. I would guess that shore entry conditions are more often benign on Maui, but for me the reliably great visibility on Kona is a major plus. Maui does have way more good beaches, especially for surf play.

Let me repeat - I'm only commenting on my experience as a shore diver, as I've done only one boat dive to Molokini from Maui (and one to Olawalu - a shore dive site - when they said I was signing up for Molokini).

Would have to agree that Maui offers a great deal of non-diving activities as well as the opportunity to dive Maui, Molokini, and Lanai (also done Molokai - but in winter it gets rough). I'm into boat diving (clean and a lot easier than lugging gear). If you get to West Maui - would recommend Lahaina Divers. Good Luck.

We have decided on the Big Island. We got a great deal on a condo. Now it's deciding the dive OP and waiting for the trip!
Thanks for the replies. Any more info would be great.

I was originally certified on the Big Island 6 years ago. I didn't have the chance to do it back then, but I have heard a lot of good things about the Manta Ray night dive on the Kona side. My wife and I are actually signed up to do it this coming September.

I just wanted to throw that your way in case you'd be interested. Have fun!

I went about 15 years to the Kona Coast. Dive Makai came up when I asked for a recomendation on the very new www. We even stayed at the hotel where the Manta Ray night dive happens. We scrambled over the rocks with our gear and snorkeled the whole thing. The entire trip was a wow experience.

I am looking at Dive Makai, Bottom Time, and Big Island Divers. I would also like to find a shore diving guide. I will have my niece with me who is very new to diving. I need a dive op that is very good with new divers. Thanks for all your replies. I know it's very early but I am so excited about this trip.

I know BID will do shore dives with you, I expect most outfits will accomodate that as well. I've liked the BID crew and the way they run their boat dives. Big Island shore dives often involve lava's edge or rocky entries so it may be a good idea to use a guide at first with your niece. There are a few places like Honaunau, Kahaluu (when there's no groundswell), and Kailua Bay that I'd say are usually do-it-yourself for even a tentative new diver. You could do several dives at the fabulous Honaunau without it seeming repetitive, and have a good chance of swimming with the spinner dolphins there. The entry there is about as easy as it gets, no concerns about currents in the bay, and you'll have plenty of company.

I know BID will do shore dives with you, I expect most outfits will accomodate that as well. I've liked the BID crew and the way they run their boat dives. Big Island shore dives often involve lava's edge or rocky entries so it may be a good idea to use a guide at first with your niece. There are a few places like Honaunau, Kahaluu (when there's no groundswell), and Kailua Bay that I'd say are usually do-it-yourself for even a tentative new diver. You could do several dives at the fabulous Honaunau without it seeming repetitive, and have a good chance of swimming with the spinner dolphins there. The entry there is about as easy as it gets, no concerns about currents in the bay, and you'll have plenty of company.

We are staying in a condo right across from Kahaluu. I've snorkeled it but never dove it. I am used to rough, rocky entries here in New England. I also spent a week in Bonaire with it's iron shore. I will contact BID. Thanks so much for your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom