Maui or Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
By getting certified, I have created a diving monster out of my husband. We're in Maui now, going to Australia in November, and now he wants to make a diving trip in January/February, too.

Maui is always an option, because my in-laws live here, but for various reasons it might be interesting to go to Costa Rica, too, as we have a connection with Playa Portrero on the Guanacaste peninsula (Tamarindo area). I'm asking for feedback from those who have been to both places (or just CR) as to which will be a better diving trip.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, my husband came in and read this and said, "I'm the diving monster?"

Yes, diving can be very addicting and also the traveling is addicting. At least for me. I can't really say about the diving in Hawaii since i haven't been there yet. I have been to Costa Rica several times and as you can see i'll be there in 3 days from now. The diving isn't the greatest in the world...but, it's good...alot of marine life and if you're lucky you will dive with big animals. if you do go...take a dive trip to Catalina or Bat Island good stuff to see there such as giant mantas sometimes and you will be able to dive with the bull sharks. the viz isn't great..but, good enough to see and the water's are usually pretty warm.

TSandM:
By getting certified, I have created a diving monster out of my husband. We're in Maui now, going to Australia in November, and now he wants to make a diving trip in January/February, too.

Maui is always an option, because my in-laws live here, but for various reasons it might be interesting to go to Costa Rica, too, as we have a connection with Playa Portrero on the Guanacaste peninsula (Tamarindo area). I'm asking for feedback from those who have been to both places (or just CR) as to which will be a better diving trip.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, my husband came in and read this and said, "I'm the diving monster?"

Diving in Costa Rica is extremely good, but not pretty! Vis can sometimes be 10-20'. My husband once had a stingray swim right into him because neither could see the other! On the other hand, the size of the schools of fish are huge and Bat & Catalina Islands are really known for the pelagics. We had a school of at LEAST 400 cownose rays swim over us during at safety stop at Cat and it was pretty cool! We thought it was something HUGE because it blocked out the sun and when we looked up, they traveled above us for 3-5 minutes! The water is also quite cool in January/Feb, probably in the low 70 degree range with thermoclines. We needed full 3-mm wetsuits and hooded vests to stay warm but had giant Pacific mantas cruising past us also at Cat Island! Winds at that time of the year can sometimes make the crossing to Bat Island very rough and the dive operations may not do it; they also charge a premium for the Cat & Bat Island dives over their regular 2-tank boat dives.

Welcome to the diving/traveling world....it's very addicting!

I have nevered dived Maui, but I have dove Hawaii, Kaui and Oahu. I just returned from Costa Rica last week. As already mentioned the diving in Costa Rica is not beautiful as far as coral and such. I did see a lot of marine life. Costa Rica is one of the best places I have ever been overall. The people are the nicests anywhere, life on the surface is beautiful and cheap.

I was in the Guanacaste area (Papagayo Bay) when my husband and I took our first dives! It was a resort course at the Blue Bay Papagayo, and it was FANTASTIC. Maybe to other more experienced divers it isn't as exciting there, but to a newbie it was amazing!! We saw nurse sharks, eels, huge manta-ray. I guess the coral wasn't as vibrant and interesting as in the Carribean since it doesn't have the reef system that Belize/Mexico have, but the marine life was great.

I don't know much about Costa Rica yet, but we may be going there for a business trip in February. It sounds like the diving is not as great as some of my experiences in the Similans in Thailand, or in Belize. Are these all on the Pacific side, or is there some diving on the Caribbean side too? Belize had some amazing coral and fish, wondering if the Caribbean side would be similar? We were in Belize in late January and the water temp was nice with a 3 mm full suit, can't remember the temp. Someone let me know what you know about the diving in February and if it is better on one side or the other. Thanks

I agree with all that has already been said. Water in CR is cool and low viz but FABULOUS! I loved it and can't wait to go back.
We dove off Cat. Islands, Dos Sombreros, etc., and stayed in Tamarindo. I loved every minute of it. Cannot wait to go back!!!

HUGE schools of fish . . . I had a similar experience as one other poster who encountered a large school of rays. It was a really awesome sight. Hundreds of them . . . Gave me goosebumps.

The dive shop we used was Agua Rica and Tony and Claudio -and staff- were SO great!!! I am not affiliated with this shop at all. But, they are worth recommending b/c they were friendly, knowlegeable, and made the experience great.

Well, we made the decision to go back to Maui, mostly based on cost (my in-laws live there, so lodging and transportation are free!) But it sounds as though we need to keep Costa Rica in mind for future trips. Thanks for all the info.

TSandM:
Well, we made the decision to go back to Maui
Good choice! Also, January is into the Whale season in Hawaii. Those whales passing through for their mating season in hawaii.. As a Hawaii diver - I am always hopeful for that glimpse of a humpback whale swimming by. I haven't seen one yet, but I have heard them often. Some dives during the whale season (november-march) we'll just sit still and listen to them - you can hear them loud and clear - it's hard to remember that there are other things to see when you are staring into the blue waiting for that glimpse! anyway...I digress...

Enjoy Maui - and look out for those whales!

Back
Top Bottom