Maui ocean center shark dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txdiveman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether to spend money on this shark dive. I already have a 3 tank trip scheduled out to Molokini. Would it be better to spend my money on a few guided shore dives or do the MOC shark dive?

I know Wildcard did this dive and loved it. But, since you are asking for opinions, I would suggest guided shore dives. But I've not done the MOC dive.

I recommend kidspot for guided shore dives. He really is the nicest guy around. (No offense to anyone else - I haven't met them). Also, I don't know if kidspot is taking anyone out for guided shore dives lately. One of the other options is Shaka Doug. Both are here on the board.

I'm not a fan of the 3 tank dive myself. It's a long day on that boat for only 3 tanks. I prefer the two tank dives. I did do the MOC and loved it. I don't know what they charge now but I know it's expensive. It can be as short as 20 minutes. When my wife and I did it we spent about 40 minutes under but I know the DM there. It was fun interacting not only with the sea life but with the customers watching in the tube. There was a 9 foot tiger when we were in there, not sure if they have a tiger in there now.

Last I checked the MOC dive was $200 ... I've not done it, but find it tough to swallow a single dive costing that much :S on the other hand I filmed Wildcard when he did it and he exited raving about it. I've also spoken with several others who dove there and have never heard a complaint other than price (but most said it was worth it...)

Aloha, Tim

P.S. I don't do paid guide services, but am always happy to show new buddies the sites if my schedule permits :) drop me a PM just before your visit if you're interested.

I just did it about six weeks ago. Tim's correct - it's $200. Is it worth it? It probably depends on how much you dig sharks and rays. I'm firmly in the "it was worth it" camp. I'd definitely do it again.

The tiger that they have now is a 6.5 footer. He (she? - can't remember) stays at the top of the tank, so you don't really see much of her. You get to hand-feed Miss Piggy, the resident Spotted Eagle Ray. I was just completely awed by all the sharks, though. It was just amazing.

The price includes a free t-shirt and park entry fee for you and a guest, so if you were going to go the the MOC anyway, the price of adding the dive is somewhat more reasonable (at least that's how I rationalized it to my wife).

Cheers!
David

I actually did that dive 2 years ago. It was $200 then, as well. I viewed it as a contribution to the Ocean Centre and not a fee.

I was quite impressed with how they run their aquarium. All the water is pumped from the sea and returned. Much of the exhibits are in recuperation states. I find it more directed to the actual portrayal of sea life than entertainment. You won't see any jumping dolphin acts there. I was more than willing to make that contribution.

It is a fairly long day for a short dive. There is a mandatory briefing that takes some time.

The dive was amazing. The day we were there was special, the tiger came down and was circling at mid tank (that's what I get for wearing my seal-flavoured wetsuit). Miss Piggy was picky that day and not hungry, but kept pretending she was. The sharks and rays weren't that interested in us, but it was pretty life changing to be in amongst that number of them.

Seeing the faces of the kids through the glass was almost as much fun as the dive. The aquarium is open to the public at that time, so you're part of the exhibit.

You do get "backstage" passes to the aquarium for the day, so you can see some parts that the public doesn't see (star fish breeding tanks, etc).

For me (from the prairies), it was well worth it and a good change-up. I saw it as more of a once-in-a-lifetime thing and it was definitely something I will remember for all time. I was lucky enough to be in the water and see (and film) a humpback and her baby up close that week as well. It was indeed a special week.

I haven't done the MOC dive but have been talking about it. I'm planning on trying it when we come this summer.

I did dive at the Living Seas Aquarium in Orlando Disney during a business trip. In the beginning the marine life was the focus of my attention but soon the people on the other side of the glass were, especially the kids. As the Disney people said “your now part of the show. Please no bubbles except from the regulator.” I expect MOC to be very similar.

My daughter just moved to Baltimore and is planning on volunteering as a diver at their aquarium.

I think if you try it you’ll love the experience.

I spent the afternoon at the MOC on Christmas Day. Although I didn't dive in the tank, I did get to watch Santa feed the fish! It was a lot of fun. The Tiger was there, and yes it spent most of the time near the surface but it was really cool to watch when it went over the top of your head above the acrylic tunnel. If you have the cash, do this dive. It's crowded with stuff you would never see on a regular dive anywhere else. It's a really good contribution to the center as well. Have someone photograph you when you are inside amongst all the sea critters. It will be a priceless memory you can brag about for the rest of your life!

It has come down to a choice btwn a two tank dive out to Lanai or the MOC shark dive. I have reservations for both. However, I'll need to cancel one. I'm striggling with the idea of the MOC dive only lasting 20 minutes vs. much longer dive in Lanai. Also thinking about the opportunity to encounter a shark or other critters out by Lanai

I've done the MOC dive and I would echo The Davil's comments. It was expensive, but I really enjoyed it (though I did sort of view it as more a once (or so)-in-a-lifetime experience - as I would go to Maui and think about doing it multiple times on the same trip). Is was very cool to see so many sharks up close (particularly the hammerheads). I would argue that if I could only pic a 2 tanker off Lanai or a the MOC dive - I would pic MOC as I found it to be far more memorable that my dives (thus far) off Lanai (which depending on the sites/conditions may or may not be better than what you will find off of Maui beaches).
Just my 2 cents...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom