Maui Monthly - November 11th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well....plans have been changing all day on this trip. I'm slightly POed but, I'll get over it.

I was beginning to wonder if I was going to make it. One of my horses went down today so I had to call the vet out. She's OK but, needs to be treated while I'm gone. I found a friend that is "horse smart" that will help me out. Otherwise, I would have had to stay home. Phew!

THEN, after trying to locate Megan for the past few days. Her phone has been off, so I've been kind of worried about her. She had some swim race out of town and no phone service.

She finally called today and broke the news to me that she will not be going to Maui now. After 4 months of planning, she's got a Nike commercial, as a swimmer and has to take the job. It works next Monday. I do understand because I know how this business is unpredictable in getting work and commercials pay well but, I'm still disappointed. Oh well, not like I haven't gone to Maui by myself before. Except I lost my shore diving buddy...bummer!

It's not going to stop me from going to Ulua. See you there!

I think we can find you some shore dive buddies here, don't you worry!

Tim, Al, can we all band together on this one?

And if you find yourself not diving one day... well, I know that Maui Dreams keeps a buddy-book, and IIRC, so does Pacific Dive in Lahaina.

A travel tip that has served me well when travelling here alone -- move quickly from the plane directly to the rental car place. If you're renting with National, sign up for the Emerald Club (free right now, I think) -- you'll get a shorter line-up.

Get the car, then go back and park it close to the baggage area. Walk in, your bags should be on the carousel or will be VERY soon, grab them, go out to the car, and leave -- chances are you're within the 1/2 hr "free" limit and you won't even have to pay for parking!

Well thanks Kris...I'll try not to worry about it too much :)

Rental cars...ugh...what a pain sometimes. When I have someone with me, we would get the bags, one person would wait at the airport and the other goes and gets the car.

If I'm by myself, I grab a cart, grab my bags and go to the shuttle. I appreciate the tip though. I might see if I can check in online 24 hours ahead of time and go straight to the car and check out at the booth. That'll be great if it works out like that.

I know one of the busiest times to pick up a rental car is around noon so hopefully I'll miss the rush since I'm coming in a little earlier.

Do you guys have a clue how many dives your going to do or when your going on your last dive?

There's a possibility of my best friend (if she gets Mon. off of work) coming over from Oahu on Sat. in the afternoon. I'm trying to bribe her with my extra ticket to the Maui Music Festival on Sunday :)
I'm trying to figure what time she should come in to OGG. I'll pick her up on the way to Napili after Ulua is what I'm thinking.

I'm not sure about your airlines -- but both WestJet and Air Canada typically don't have their bags out before I'm back with my car. Mind you, these are 10pm arrivals, so car lineups aren't too long, and the luggage might be slower.

I had thought of your plan initially too... but then my mom suggested this other method, and it's worked flawlessly on both occasions.

I don't know about the schedule for Saturday.

I'd suggest we'd be getting in the water 9:30/10am for dive #1, being Ulua, we'll probably see bottom time around an hour, maybe more... depends on who's there.

So, I'd guess we'll be looking at the SI between 11 and noon. And then maybe dive #2.

Of course, this can be completely different if we see something really cool and just switch over the tanks and hop back in the water for dive #2... :)

Would you like us to bring along an extra tank so you can join us when you get there? We should be able to wait for you for dive #2, if you want... especially because dive #2 is apparently usually a smaller group. :D

Happy Birthday Kris!

Sorry for your horse & travel buddy troubles Lori :(

I usually have an extra couple of 65's in my truck, so that's not an issue if you want to use one.

btw - How's your back doing?

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
Sorry for your horse & travel buddy troubles Lori :(

I usually have an extra couple of 65's in my truck, so that's not an issue if you want to use one.

btw - How's your back doing?

Aloha, Tim

Thanks Tim...I'm feeling better now. My horse is going to be OK. Timing is everything! It's all going to work out.

OK, that'll be cool, if I can use one of your 65's I would appreciate it. That would save me some time getting there too.

My back is doing really well! It's amazing what a needle in the back will get you, lol.

Waves are building today but should be settling down by saturday. There is a reef survey going on at Ulua saturday morning. Now here's the kicker, I've got to be on the B&B boat that morning for some rebreather dives so we won't get there on time. Darn it, I have to do the Inspiration, shoot :)

Al: why not join us for Dive #2? It sounds like that's when the crowd is going to be building anyways! :D

Sounds like a plan kids. I'll be there. You'll recognize me, I'll be wearing the face and using the body of a very old angry man who has to go back to the mainland in a couple of weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom