Maui Monthly - August 5th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
Turned out to be a good dive day - vis was a little murkey the first half of the dive - maybe 10-15ft vis. But it cleared up to 30 ft for the second half of the day.

Here are a few pics from the day - yes we had fun :D

http://kidspot.org/personal/scuba/photos/honolua_aug_06/sb_honolua.html

Aloha, Tim

Thats awesome!

Hey I meant to ask you, whats the average water temps out there? Trying to figure out if our 1mil suits are going to be enough.

Is there alot of Fire Coral around and jellies? We have shortys as well that are 3m.

the water was 77* today ... kinda cold actually for this time of year - it's been 81* lately. I used to wear a thin suit, and it was ok for a few months, now I wear a 5mil. I'd stick with the full suit - we don't have fire coral (as far as I know) however we do have man-o-war (jelly like stings)

Aloha, Tim

Do you guy's gave a special meeting spot? I was at the beach at 9:00. No worries, I dove with a nice group from California.

We met outside the gate and drove in together, but didn't know if anyone else was joining us ... we probably saw each other and didn't realize it I'm guessing... sorry about that. btw I was in the gray Nissan P/U with the white camper shell, Howard4113 was in the Jeep with the blue kayak on top -

I'll try and get you more/better info next time so we can meet up before hand.

Tim

P.S. I don't have the beard at the moment :wink:

kidspot:
the water was 77* today ... kinda cold actually for this time of year - it's been 81* lately. I used to wear a thin suit, and it was ok for a few months, now I wear a 5mil. I'd stick with the full suit - we don't have fire coral (as far as I know) however we do have man-o-war (jelly like stings)

Aloha, Tim

Wow 5mil seems like a very thick suit for Hawaii! Thanks for the info. I guess we wont bring the Shortys.

I started off with a .5 mil full suit, after 3 months I was getting really cold so I picked up a 3mil full. After 6 months I found I was getting cold again, picked up a drysuit ... didn't get cold any more :D but needed a wetsuit for my DM internship, so I picked up a 5 mil and with a hood it's just fine too...

My "theory" is that the more I dive, the less I move and the colder I get... Snorkeling my .5 mil suit is still just right.

Aloha, Tim

So im kinda thinking we should be some 3mil full suits since all we have is actually 3mil shortys and 1 mill full body.

If you are a new diver, or used to diving cold water, the 1 mil will most likely be plenty, unless you are prone to getting cold easily. You could always bring the shorty and the full... personally if I didn't get so cold I'd love to dive my .5 mil suit again - those are SO much fun to dive in, flexible, no bouyancy issues etc..

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom