Maui Marine no-take zones

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSeanMaui

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Over the weekend I did a few dives up an Honolua Bay. I was really impressed with the number of fish up there. The reserves they have for Maui include Lanai, the Honolua area, and Molokini. If you dive Ulua or 5 Graves during the day and compare it, you'd be amazing at how few fish they have down in South Maui... I think they need to put a reserve down in South Maui so all the other sites are helped by the reserve... It seems up in West Maui they have more fish and I'll bet the Honolua reserve has something to do with it...

Here's some info from dlnr:

http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/mlcd/index.htm

You can see the assortment of fish I saw in my 2 reports here:

http://www.scubapost.net/blogs/?q=node/196

http://www.scubapost.net/blogs/?q=node/197

I'm hoping to get back up there... I think I found the best spots right at the end of my 2nd dive :( If your interested in doing it with me, let me know!

Sean

Hey Sean,

There is actually a preserve on the south side -- Ahihi-Kinau Natural Area Reserve, which includes a lot of the La Perouse area as well. Interestingly, the rules on "no-take" are even stricter down there than at the MLCD's.

(By the way, the Lanai MLCD doesn't cover the entire island -- just the Manele and Hulopo‘e bays).

Hey Kris,

Thanks for pointing that out. It shows the preserve borders in the link. It didn't mention the Ahihi area in the list and I forgot that was there. My main reason for posting was trying to explain why they have so many fish up there and not as many down in South Maui. I guess Ahihi+Molokini should be sufficient... Also with the limited fishing over at Kaho`olawe should allow for plently of fish...[FONT=helvetica,arial][SIZE=+1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Sean

I remember diving the Ahihi preserve once right on the "line" where it begins. It was AMAZING how many more (and larger) fish were on the "safe" side of the line - it was as if they knew where to go - lol. Unfortunately entry is a bit tricky there, but otherwise it was a nice site.

Aloha, Tim

I'll have to try a dive at Ahihi. I have dove there before but it was about 4 years ago.
I REALLY hope I encounter the same amount of life... Honolua is the spot though. Tim if you're up for it let me know.. How about a dusk then a night dive? :) It would be AMAZING!

Sean

Ahihi typically has a lot of fish (in my experience), with a great deal of them being juvenile...

The unfortunate part is that the visibility is not (in my experience, again) often that good... :(

kidspot:
I remember diving the Ahihi preserve once right on the "line" where it begins. It was AMAZING how many more (and larger) fish were on the "safe" side of the line - it was as if they knew where to go - lol. Unfortunately entry is a bit tricky there, but otherwise it was a nice site.

Aloha, Tim

Tim,
Most people think that Ahihi preserve is much smaller than it really is. I have heard that it starts at the cove - left is preserve, right is not. This is not true. If anyone is interested, check out P20 on this official document to get the real picture.
http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dofaw/announcements/AK_buoy_DEA_to OEQC.pdf

Does anyone have a report on the LaPerouse side of the bay? It was in pretty shape a year ago.

I don't think that there are necessarily larger or more plentiful fish in Honolua than on the south side of Maui - although the reef to the right side of Honolua can be pretty awesome. I did a 2.5 hr rebreather dive there and I'd say that the coral, fish and turtle health is as good as anywhere I've seen on Maui. I've also done some rather dissapointing dives there to the left side - depends on conditions. However, you can see large schools of snapper at the St. Anthony and there are scads of fish at 85' pinnacle. Do sharks count for large? Sean, if you're not seeing fish at Ulua and Makena consider that there are a billion people there constantly scaring the bejesus out of the fish. Try some less popular spots and you might see a difference. If you're good on air - try Marty's reef. If not get a kayak! BTW Tim and Sean you both have an open invite to ride on the Koa Kai when we have a free seat.

Mark

Hey Marc, thanks for the invite and suggestions! I agree getting offshore is a great idea! I also agree Ulua has a lot of people that scare them off... I have not dove the 85' pinnacle yet but soon I hope! I'd love to go out on the Koa Kai!! Just let me know when you have a free spot!

Thanks,

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom