Maui in Late Sept - need an Op and any other suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi all,

been a while since I posted...

we have a foursome heading to Maui Late Sept. We have a house rented in Kihei. Looking at Maui Dreams or Maui Diver Center??? Both are PADI 5 Star. BUT

we are 4 very experienced advanced OWD. If this is at all possible we would like to find an op that can focus on appropriate diving. Not to sound snobby, but we are used to liveaboards and staying down till the tanks are dry, not ending dives at the scheduled 45min or when the first person sucks it down. I know shore diving is good on Maui - but one of the group cant do that.

Molokini is on the menu, other than that if there are cant miss site please share. Also good restaurants and or bars. we LOVE brewpubs and Maui Brewing will be seeing us often.

thanks!!

Mike Severns Diving www.mikesevernsdiving.com

I don't think they do the hammerhead dive, but they're a great operation, normally 12 divers max per trip but are only doing 6 divers max right now, which is super nice. It's who I send my customers to and I wouldn't do that unless I fully like their operation. They're based out of Kihei too.

-Nick

We are going May 7-16, haven't been in years so some ops are still around, some not.... Also looking at Maui Dreams

As for boat dives, the main ones you'll get are
-Molokini 2 tank back wall - I like the crater for a dive but the back wall is OK. One inside and one back wall would be good
-Molokini Crater - Typically an early crater dive ten something shoreside, Turtle Town. Last time we hated the shore -ish dive, horrible conditions and lazy DM
-Lanai Cathedrals - Leaves from Ma'alea (sp) or Lahaina or Mala but Mala op curently running at $375 for a 2 tank dive.....)
-Hammerhead dive - Advanced so I hear, rough boat trip, etc.

Severns seemed to cater to more advanced divers, Ed Robinson's was IMO the best bt hear they sold their boat.

If you are stuck only boat diving,it's gonna be expensive. Average $200 per diver per 2 tank day

September prices may calm down a bit, but still might want to book a rental car a couple months out... they shipped many back to the mainland and hard to come by, or costing $1K a day

Lahaina divers for the hammerhead dive - they guarantee reaching the site. I last used Ed Robinsons, but others mentioned they sold their boat.

I love staying in Kihei... and it can be very affordable in a condo,

Restaurants - I love Paia Fish Market, Freds Mexican was ok... Beach Bums was fun. I always thought mamas fish house was pricey and over rated.

I do highly recommend the book "Maui Revealed" for all the insider stuff.

good intel! thanks guys.

Anyone do the road to Hana? everything i read says its great cant miss. but all day driving sounds like sand in my eyes.

good intel! thanks guys.

Anyone do the road to Hana? everything i read says its great cant miss. but all day driving sounds like sand in my eyes.

Have done it several times but not for years. It is very beautiful, and can be a very long day for sure. And if you are driving it's hard to really enjoy the sights. Lots of places to stop and see waterfalls etc. Some go all the way around and maybe it's a bit shorter day, but it's not always recommended, rough road etc and sometimes washouts as happened recently.

Covid has added a twist. Hana was always a bit provincial, and there has always been tension between slow driving tourists and locals trying to get to work etc. When covid hit the locals asked visitors not to come, as it's pretty remote and they have limited medical facilities. I checked recently as we are going in 3 weeks, and the locals are still asking tourists to stay away. That is not stopping a lot of people but I tend to honor those types of things and abide by what they ask (years ago declined hiking up Ayers Rock / Uluru as the aboriginal people felt it was an insult, and walked around instead). So we won't be doing it this time

Also, if there are any restaurants you can't miss, check in on their websites a couple months out. Lots of places are booking up, Mama's Fish House has nothing available until June. May change by Sept but the limitations on customers is making it more difficult. I typically don't like reserving for a vacation but we've made a few in case this time.

This is true for diving too. Boats are at 1/2 capacity or so, and the slots are filling up a few weeks in advance.

good intel! thanks guys.

I drove to Hana. Once. Never again. It was beautiful. And it wasn't the narrow roads or oncoming traffic that made the drive unbearable. It was the fact that it took FOREVER to drive it. It is worth every penny if you can take the helicopter to Hana :bounce:

It was the fact that it took FOREVER to drive it.
thats what will get me... I am not the most patient person and I might blow a vessel in my head going so slow for so long...

I think I would rather be diving...

we did a heli tour on Kona and it was fabulous but spendy.

Back
Top Bottom