Maui in April or May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more question... so since I am now staying way down at the end of the road, who should I dive with - other than Extended Horizons if I go to Lanai. Is Mike Severns the way to go? I only know of him and Ed Robinson that launch from Kehei. It used to be said that those two were "the" people to dive with on Maui, but I guess thats not the case anymore. This is why we chose to stay near Kehei. Now it is too far to get to Lahaina or elsewhere to dive with others for my other days ( I plan to dive Tu - Th).

Also is it worth diving at Lanai, or is it just a different place to go? I am really just after seeing lots of nice critters and purdy coral.

Thanks!
Jeremy

jeremyl:
One more question... so since I am now staying way down at the end of the road, who should I dive with - other than Extended Horizons if I go to Lanai. Is Mike Severns the way to go? I only know of him and Ed Robinson that launch from Kehei. It used to be said that those two were "the" people to dive with on Maui, but I guess thats not the case anymore. This is why we chose to stay near Kehei. Now it is too far to get to Lahaina or elsewhere to dive with others for my other days ( I plan to dive Tu - Th).

Also is it worth diving at Lanai, or is it just a different place to go? I am really just after seeing lots of nice critters and purdy coral.

Thanks!
Jeremy
From what I understand, the two ops you suggest are still the "top dogs" for experienced divers.

I will not ever dive with Ed Robinson's again (PM for story, if you need it), and have not yet dove with Mike Severns.

I have gone with Makena Coast and Dive & Sea Maui and thoroughly enjoyed the trips, and others here will say the same about ProDiver and B&B (with whom I have no experience).

Lanai is worth a trip if you haven't been, for two reasons. First, the coral seems more abundant and "purdier" over there. Second, both of the Cathedrals sites are very, very cool.

Most of the south side ops specialize in Molokini trips. There are so few ops who go to Lanai regularly... especially not from that side of the island. Out of the Kihei boats, I'm not aware of Severns offering Lanai charters (maybe on their adventure 3 tank days?). Ed Robinsons only offers Lanai charters on Wednesdays (conditions dependant). Maalaea: Maui Dive Shop offers Lanai trips two days a week I think.

It's a pretty long boat ride to Lanai from Kihei or even Maalaea. Most prefer to do the car ride to Lahaina and enjoy a shorter boat ride to Lanai.

I will do the Lanai trip with Extended Horizons... just need someone to dive with for the other days. Sounds like I might as well just go with Mike Severns though. I emailed and they have room for me. Since I am only diving 3 days it would be nice to do the trips with the same op to get a discount, but oh well.

Thanks all for your help
Jeremy

jeremyl:
I will do the Lanai trip with Extended Horizons... just need someone to dive with for the other days. Sounds like I might as well just go with Mike Severns though. I emailed and they have room for me. Since I am only diving 3 days it would be nice to do the trips with the same op to get a discount, but oh well.

Thanks all for your help
Jeremy
You may also find some shore diving worthwhile... especially since you're staying at the Prince.

There are two wrecks right in front of the hotel (reachable by scooter) that Scuba Luv will take you to... they're commonly referred to as "The Tank" and the "Landing Craft" -- WW2 era vehicles that were lost (not intentionally) during exercises.

Of course, you can dive these from a boat, too (and Mike Severns and ERDA often do), but the scooter takes far less of your day, and you get to have fun on a scooter!!! :)

I only dive with B&B these days and that's where I send all my students and customers. They don't advertise and they keep a full boat, wonder why?? :)

Al Mialkovsky:
I only dive with B&B these days and that's where I send all my students and customers. They don't advertise and they keep a full boat, wonder why?? :)
Uhh... you have lots and lots of students and customers???

I'm kidding!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom