Maui in April or May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just finished an insane 6mo project at work and need an escape. Planning M-F either mid April or Mid May. Any reason I should prefer one over the other? I would imagine later is a little warmer/calmer, no? (And gives me more time to work off the winter flab).

Planning on going with Ed Robinson as I did last time (3yrs ago) and had a great time. Although I would love to night dive and they only go on Thurs, and since I fly out Friday I would have to miss it... anyone else do nite dives eariler in the week?

Also any reason I should look to other islands. I have been to Kauai and Big Island, but for diving I hear Maui is best... and that is the primary reason for this trip for me.

Would also like to get to Lanai. Last time I was there (Dec) it was too choppy so they canceled. Is this a better season? Any other advise?

Thanks!
Jeremy

Right now you can still hear the humpback calls. Mid may they will be gone. If you haven't heard the whales it is an amazing experience, but divemaven is correct. Less people in May. May be an advantage or not. Not enough divers the trip may be canceled. Have fun. Be safe!

Jeremy, Started getting info. for my "last week of May" trip myself, so I'm in the same situation as yourself, as I fly back Friday 6/1. Found the following on Tuesday night and will see if I can jump on board then..(unless you locals have a better idea)
http://www.mauidiveshop.com/divetrips/Divetrips.html
My other dives will probably with Ed Robinson as a good buddy highly recomended them.

My friend, Ali, and I will be on Ed Robinson's every day from May 15-24. They are awesome. Doing the Lanai trip as well as a couple 3 tank dives and of course, the night dive on the 17th! We'll look for you

Well, with my wifes work, it was better to go in April, so we booked it today. Leaving Friday around 3pm it would be pushing it to do the nite dive with Ed Robinson, so I will look into the one with Maui Dive Shop and look for others. I can't wait!
J

Lanai advice: use Extended Horizons or Lahaina Divers. Shorter boat ride is major bonus.

I've observed issues with Ed Robinsons (both illegal and safety-related), so cannot recommend them.

As for night dives, I'm not aware of too many boat ops that run them -- I think Lahaina Divers does, and Maui Dive Shop. Not sure on schedules.

Night dives from the shore are great, too, though! Maui Dreams Dive Co. and Scuba Luv Maui (Wailea Marriott & Maui Prince resort operator) are both very flexible in scheduling!

Cool! Thanks. We are staying at Maui Prince, so I will check with Scuba Luv. I would be happy to do some shore nite dives, although comming up to the boat in the middle of a starfield in the ocean is an awesome experience. I will also check out Extended Horizons.

Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom