Maui Exposure protection for August/Sept

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,
I just got NAUI O/W certified last month, and coming to Maui and Oahu in a week! I'm super-excited!!! I plan to do a boat dive in each location. Any recommendations on a dive charter and sites for a novice diver? :eyebrow:

guymenton:
Hi all,
I just got NAUI O/W certified last month, and coming to Maui and Oahu in a week! I'm super-excited!!! I plan to do a boat dive in each location. Any recommendations on a dive charter and sites for a novice diver? :eyebrow:

On Maui, I'd use Maui Dive shop or Ed Robinson's.

Maui Dive shop has more locations and a more centralized boat location.

Ed Robinson's gives really good creature reviews before the dives, and there boats are smaller and fewer divers.

Maui Dive shop has nice site reviews, but there are more DMs, so the range of skill varies more. All were at least good that I saw.

For boat dives, you need to do Molokini, everyone does, it's nice and clear.

If you can, do Lanai, 2nd catherdal is awesome.

For shore dives, I found Black Rock to be a bit boring, but it is very easy, and can be a good practice location.

If you need to rent weights, everyone only has solid weights, and most shops do not even sell soft weights.

You can buy soft weights at Maui Dive shop in Mall in Lahaina.

Xanthro

guymenton:
Hi all,

Plenty of wrecks over this way....would that be something for ya?

guymenton:
Hi all,

Aloha and congrats on your recent cert! You might consider hitting the beach for a shore dive or two to acclimate to our water. There are lots of options and some great dive sites here, all accessible from shore. I dive almost everyday and would be happy to give you some local kine advcie on conditions and stuff if you need it. Good luck and have fun!

Aloha!

Hey Shaka Doug,
Great meeting you in person down by Ulua beach the other day - My instructor was quite impressed with your "Shaka Bus" Nice setup you've got with that - I believe his exact comment was something like "That guy is prepared for anything"

Aloha,
Tim

kidspot:
Hey Shaka Doug,
Great meeting you in person down by Ulua beach the other day - My instructor was quite impressed with your "Shaka Bus" Nice setup you've got with that - I believe his exact comment was something like "That guy is prepared for anything"

Aloha,
Tim

Mahalo Tim,

Nice to meet you too. I thought you were already certified but now I see you're just getting into it. Congratulations on taking the plunge! It totally rocks, Man! SCUBA is Da Bomb! Thanks for the nice comments on my bus. I try to be ready for anything and am always getting new ideas from everywhere of what to do next with it. I've done a couple thousand dives out of it so far and it looks like it might last a few thousand more if I baby it. You do know what S.C.U.B.A. stands for right? (Super Cool Undersea Bus Adventure!!!! LOL! I didn't make it up, I swear!)

Anyway, I hope to see you around the reefs! Have fun in your class and never forget: "When You Dive Shaka, You'll always have a Shaka Dive!"

Aloha!

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for the great advice! However it seems this cold snuck up on me right before I'm about to head off! P*ssing me off, cause this is my 1st real vacation, 1st time to Hawaii, and 1st non-local place I get to dive after being certified. All being ruined by a bug that won't leave my system. Dammit...I came to Hawaii to dive, not to get stuck doing the touristy stuff! Any miracle remedies folks suggest that will work before my plane leaves Monday?!? I'm desperate here. :errrr:

Heeey, I think I'm almost thru with this cold...thank god. Dived this morning locally with no problems. So, Maui and Oahu, here I come! I saw the weather forecasts with isolated and scattered showers all this coming week. Can anyone on these islands give me a better idea, how this will affect diving, if any? Much thanks!

guymenton:
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for the great advice! However it seems this cold snuck up on me right before I'm about to head off! P*ssing me off, cause this is my 1st real vacation, 1st time to Hawaii, and 1st non-local place I get to dive after being certified. All being ruined by a bug that won't leave my system. Dammit...I came to Hawaii to dive, not to get stuck doing the touristy stuff! Any miracle remedies folks suggest that will work before my plane leaves Monday?!? I'm desperate here. :errrr:

Well tonight the weather is quite windy and a bit rainy, but this morning was beautiful on the south shore, did a 63 min. dive at Ulua (5th cert. dive) and vis. was 30+ft the nicest we've had out there in two weeks. I'll PM you more details

Tim

Back
Top Bottom