Maui Exposure protection for August/Sept

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xanthro:
What level exposure protection would people recommend.

I dived mostly off Catalina, where the temps are between 60-62 at depth this time of year. I've been reasonable warm in a standard one piece 7mm for up to three dives a day.

I'm sure 7mm would be overkill for Maui, I also have a 3mm shorty, and a thermal body suit which is nearly as warm as a 1mm.

Should this be enough or do I need a full 3mm?

Xanthro

I would say a full 3mm, thats what I wore when we were there. And it was fine. a 7mm is definitely overkill. Even in January a 3 mm is fine. We have been to Maui 5 times to go diving and thats all we have used. The water temp in Jan is around 79-80 in the summer is is around 84.

Just got back from Maui Sunday. Water temp was 80 - 82 F from 30 to 60 ft. I used a 3mm ScubaMax, and it was perfect. Also dove with guys using 3mm shorties, and they were fine as well. To be safe, I would say the 3mm full.

Regards,

Gary

I used a 3/2 and it was fine. My 3 shorty was warm enough, but my wife got injured on a rock trying to learn to surf, 15 stitches. I wore the 3/2 for extra protection. Not that I expected to hit any rocks.

Xanthro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom