Maui dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, he asked about other Maui dive sites besides Molokini. There are a lot of sites just off shore in S. Maui (boat sites) that are wonderful diving, which is what I was referring to. I do recall, however, a couple of years ago when there was so much rain that the ONLY site boats could go to was Molokini because of the silty water around both Maui and Lanai.

There was a big fire in Polipoli 1/28/07. Rains brought the debris down the mountain to Kihei on 12/5/07. The highest 24 hour rain total in the State was Lanai City, with Haleakala second highest. After Hurricane Iniki (9/11/92) is likely the previous time(s) Lanai dive sites were not dive-able due to runoff.

South Maui dive sites are "murky" due to swells stirring up "the bottom" a few times per year, but swells normally do not make the water "very dirty (silty)." The Pukalani/Kula rains last week caused North Kihei flooding but I had not yet heard that South Maui near shore dives were "canceled" due to runoff. South Maui runoff events may happen every few years, but certainly not "there are times of the year when the in-shore waters of Maui are very dirty."

Glenn James:
December 6-7 2007

Air Temperatures – The following maximum temperatures were recorded across the state of Hawaii Thursday:

Lihue, Kauai - 80
Honolulu, Oahu - 78
Kaneohe, Oahu – 79
Kahului, Maui - 73
Hilo, Hawaii - 73
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii - 79

Temperatures ranged between these warmest and coolest spots near sea level at 4 a.m. Friday morning:

Kailua-kona - 76F
Hilo, Hawaii - 70

Precipitation Totals – The following numbers represent the largest precipitation totals (inches) during the last 24 hours on each of the major islands, as of Friday morning:

4.53 KOKEE, KAUAI
1.97 LULUKU, OAHU
4.28 MOLOKAI
5.89 LANAI
3.72 KAHOOLAWE
4.69 KAUPO GAP, MAUI
3.88 PALI 2, BIG ISLAND

The weather was so bad it even garnered an entry at the Pacific Disaster Center site;

Pacific Disaster Center:
Maui County Most Affected as Storm Pounds State of Hawaii

A low pressure system, which formed to the north of the Hawaiian Islands, caused very strong and gusty winds, topping-out in the 50-70+ mph range, along with heavy flooding rainfall. This storm, called a Kona storm in Hawaii, presented each of the islands with inclement weather circumstances, including a vast array of property damage, downed power poles, land and mudslides, thunderstorms, waterspouts, and blizzard conditions atop the summits on the Big Island. The gusty winds generated very rough and turbulent ocean conditions along the normally placid south and west facing leeward beaches at the same time. These types of autumn and winter storms aren’t considered rare, although this one was unusually tough on the islands.

In a South Maui dive site conversation, Chicken Little might say...

Keep in mind that there are times of the year when the in-shore waters of Maui are murky due to swells, making a lot of S. Maui sites undiveable. This means that Molokini is the only viable option for South Maui dive operators.

but worrying about Lanai runoff that has happened twice in the last 20 years :confused:

I do recall, however, a couple of years ago when there was so much rain that the ONLY site boats could go to was Molokini because of the silty water around both Maui and Lanai.

Had to bump this thread for a couple really good reasons.

First; weening one's self off back pain med's would be a good time to not post! :(

Second; there was this January back in the early / middle "naughts" where it blew out of the SW for the entire month. I heard there were Oahu "town" shops that only took divers diving 9, 10, maybe 11 days of the month. I worked about 16 days that month with Deep Ecology, every trip a deep wreck, some trips wreck / wreck. Shallow 2nd dives sucked and some times the wrecks sucked too.

That January it is likely Molokini was pretty much the best diving in the State for the entire month, when it was dive-able. It's VERY likely Lanai boats made a few Molokini trips back then.

This January feels kind of like that January; Lanai has had significant rains, including flood evacuations yesterday I believe. Molokini is probably the best diving in the State for a few days. Kuau Cove (Paia) this morning was the best near shore water I've seen in many days.

I have muddy egg on my face so I am here to eat crow as well:

DiveMaves's information about runoff and Molokini sometimes being the only diving was spot on!

I was so wrong in so many ways! :shakehead:

I don't expect it to be accepted but I apologize to DiveMaven and anyone who read my posts above this one. :idk:

I'll be arriving on Maui soon so I was hoping for good weather. Nevertheless I will be diving.

Back
Top Bottom