Maui dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocoholic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I did a search and I have been reading a lot on this board and on the Dive OP websites but I am having a hard time nailing down where the dive sites are. I mean what is available?
I dove Maui in September and had a wonderful time, I ended up mostly diving shore sites and Molokini. It was wonderful with loads of fish and great vis out at Molokini.

So what else is there? I was hoping when I got on the boat each day that we would try something else but it was always Molokini. (I'm not complaining I LOVED Molokini, but this trip I want to try something else)

We stayed across the street from the Kihei boat ramp, and I am hoping we can stay there again, but I would also drive to other launch sites if needed.

Well, there are boats that go to Lanai, and dive the pinnacles there and the Cathedrals (ocean caverns). And there are operators that go to Molokai (Lahaina Divers does), although the crossing is reported to be often rough. There are also some smaller dive operators who, I would imagine, if you can book the entire boat, would work their way up and down the coast and avoid Molokini.

You have to realize that the majority of Maui divers have never been there before, and the excellent visibility and variety of sea life in Molokini is a big draw.

Thanks, so Lanai and Molokai. I'll look those up.

If TSandM is referring to the same pinnacles I know about, the site is called Pyramids. This shot of Cathedrals 1 is on the Lahaina Divers site - explains the name. I actually broke the surface inside but you can't climb out.

1236665648.jpg

Sharkfin (Rock) off Lanai is supposed to be one of the best dives also. We went around the outside of the rock and saw 100's of schooling Moorish Idols and probably thousands of yellow and blue tangs. There can be a lot of current - we had to stay low in some depressions and crawled for a short distance. If you go in from the mooring towards Lanai instead there's octos in the wall.

Most of the boats based near Lahaina go to Lanai as often (or more) as they do to Molokini - it's a lot farther run from West Maui. At one time Extended Horizons was also going to Molokai. The big draw there is the Hammerheads.

fyi, it's probably a 45min. + drive from the Kihei area to Lahaina.

As far as dive site naming history goes, here is my version:

First someone discovered and named Cathedral; a spectacular cavern surrounded by other very interesting bottom features and marine life.

The picture above shows much of why it was named Cathedral; the porous wall often has a stain glass appearance (not shown in still images) and the illumination is heavenly. :angel2:

Entering through the West End, you follow the Axis slightly up the Naive with full view of the Alter. The Transept Rooms "nearly" Cruciform the interior as the roof arches above to Dome at sea level right above the Crossing. The lava rock roof Towers upwards to look down on the surface of the ocean. :blessing:

There are a pair of Bandit Angelfish living right outside the entrance, which always make me think of collection plates when I see them, and a resident Javanese Moray is the Arch Bishop of my dive world. :biggrin3:

Later, another large and "fairly" spectacular cavern was discovered and whether due to laziness, lack of vocabulary/imagination or a marketing ploy it was unfortunately named Second Cathedral. :sadangel:

I personally would love to call it Chandelier, or Dungeons. I think it looks way more like a big resort hotel lobby than a cathedral. :coffee:

Then a reviled guide book printed lazy shortcut names for both sites, perhaps because of the operator the author visited them with. :shakehead:

Last edited:
There are so many options when you are diving Maui that you should contact one of the operators directly. As mentioned in previous posts, Lanai has some great dive spots that are probably best visited from Lahaina harbor (Lahaina Divers) or Mala Wharf (Extended Horizons). Molokai is also GREAT diving. To the best of my knowledge Lahaina Divers is the only company that does regular trips there year round. First and Second Catherdral are great dives (with 2nd being larger and far more impressive in my opinion). First Cathedral lost it's Giant Moray a couple of years back sadly. Monolyth, Sgt. Majors, Shark fin reef... the list goes on and on. If you can get a company to venture around the back side of Lanai it gets even better.

If you do another shore run while you are there check out a nite dive at Black Rock off of the Sheraton. It is a really great day dive - but even better at nite. I suggest making contact with Eric Stein at Extended Horizons should you have the chance. If wrecks interest you - there's an old whaling (replica) vessel that has been down long enough to be great (out of Lahaina) and the wreck of the St. Anthony out of Kihei.

I am happy to get you some direct contacts if you are interested. There is also a great guide to shore diving on Maui that will tell you about many sites few (tourists) have ever heard of.

Shaka Doug is also a great reference that I have heard nothing but good about on this site.

Aloha and good luck with your planning. Though I am on Kauai, I am happy to do any leg work for you in helping with info on diving Maui. I have several friends there and can get you any contact info you need. I dove there as a DM / instructor for 3 years as well. Just let me know if their is any way that I can help.

First Cathedral lost it's Giant Moray a couple of years back sadly.

Well, the Vatican lost it's Pope a few Years ago as well...

While we do see other site's Javanese Morays more frequently, there is a lot of great eel terrain at First Cathedral that divers never get to. I have photo's of the current Java of First, but for the last year I have not been the photographer guide when it's let itself be seen.

Excellent... thank you for all the info. I'm leaning toward using Extended Horizons.

Keep in mind that there are times of the year when the in-shore waters of Maui are very dirty (silty) making a lot of S. Maui sites undiveable. This means that Molokini is the only viable option for dive operators.

(I'm not complaining I LOVED Molokini, but this trip I want to try something else)

Thanks, so Lanai and Molokai. I'll look those up.

Excellent... thank you for all the info. I'm leaning toward using Extended Horizons.

Keep in mind that there are times of the year when the in-shore waters of Maui are very dirty (silty) making a lot of S. Maui sites undiveable. This means that Molokini is the only viable option for dive operators.

Sorry DiveMaven but I just got to ask; you did read the thread, didn't you :confused:

Back
Top Bottom