Maui Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Wow, I just read that Maui Dive Shop laid off 20 of their 115 employees because business is down over 25%!! Yikes, it makes me wonder what we're going to find when we're on island in December and if there will be fewer tourists even at Christmas time.

Hope things improve before they get any worse.

im in shock at the thought of a dive shop having 100+ employees!

heck, more than 10 employees in a shop down here is a huge number

its sad to say but its gonna get worse before it gets better

im in shock at the thought of a dive shop having 100+ employees!

heck, more than 10 employees in a shop down here is a huge number

its sad to say but its gonna get worse before it gets better
Maui Dive Shop has a great deal more going on than your typical dive shop.

They have at least four boats in operation, alongside 8 stores doing everything from selling dive gear to booking activities, selling surf gear, etc.

When you consider the 12 separate operations, with 8 of them running 1.5 shifts per day, it makes 115 not look like as many. :D

Dive Maven, wondering where you got that info? Even though this particular issue is no concern to me personally, I would just be careful about repeating such things. Who ever you received that info from was incorrect. Even the local news chanels have frequently misreported similar stories about local businesses. Considering that running any business in Hawaii in the current economic and local political environment is difficult enough as it is; it's not likely to help when misinformation is unintentionally spread. Unfortunately it gives folks the opportunity to read into it all kinds of untruths. All of us on the islands are certainly feeling the effects of the down turn in tourism. Most of us are experiencing the effects directly or indirectly and in most cases the effects vary from bad to disasterous. Some folks are appreciating the smaller number of visitors and seem oblivious to the short and long term impacts on our way of life and the threat to the very existence of some of our favorite services and businesses. Lets hope the upcoming election begins to turn the tide and allow us some confidence in our economic future both here and around the world.

Ah, I found the article. Interesting, can't understand that quote though I understand the concerns he is describing. My apologees to DiveMaven. If the General Manager of the company shares that info (if the quote was accurate) I guess others can't be expected not to repeat it regardless of the misimpressions to which it may lead.

Part of me wonders too if there aren't other factors at work for MDS -- e.g. the large fine levied against them for the Molokini wreck fiasco, coupled with the usual fall lull.

I'm also amazed that they claim to have laid people off -- their employee turnover seems to be pretty quick.

I agree -- it sounds alarming. I think there's other factors at play, however.

Ah, I found the article. Interesting, can't understand that quote though I understand the concerns he is describing. My apologees to DiveMaven. If the General Manager of the company shares that info (if the quote was accurate) I guess others can't be expected not to repeat it regardless of the misimpressions to which it may lead.

Apology accepted. I'm not sure what kind of misimpressions people are supposed to get, particularly since the Maui newspapers have been reporting for weeks about tourism in general being down over 20% this summer. There have been many reports of other businesses closing due to the economy and hotels asking employees to take vacations and not filling empty positions.

The downturn in tourism doesn't affect our decision whether or not to come to Maui, we're booked and paid for and haven't even considered not coming. However, I have to say that we've offered free accommodations to friends to join us and for the first time (in 4 years) can't find anyone who will come with us. People are too afraid of losing their jobs (or businesses) and don't want to spend money on vacations right now. Its bad everywhere.....

I read this article too and it is terrible. I never like to hear about hardship falling on people. However, IMHO, I think it would be nice if Hawaii were to become an affordable vacation location. Maybe it is the places I have looked in the Hawaii chain, but holy jumpin' toadfish batman is it ever expensive. I guess if I were to not pay my mortgage for 6 months I could swing a day or two if I swim there :D.

Seriously it is terrible to hear that people are losing their jobs when I am sure most (if not all) do not deserve the hard times. It will definitely get worse before it gets better. :shakehead:

Kris, you took the words right out of my mouth.. . . that huge fine for that boat sinking and damage to the reefs-wasn't it something like $500,000 or so?-had to have had SOME impact in all this. Maggi

holy jumpin' toadfish batman is it ever expensive.

Actually IF you plan, shop wisely, are willing to stay in a condo across from the beach instead of a resort ON the beach, eat some meals in the condo, etc....... You can put together a nice trip to Hawaii for a very decent price. We just spent 10 days on Maui, had a HUGE 2 BR condo (Walking distance from Ulua beach), total condo cost was $2K (which was split so my cost was $1K), we only went hog wild on dinner 2 nights and had a vacation that in the end was no more expensive than the same amount of time in a place like Playa Del Carmen. AND we could have done even better if we wanted to since we were in a pricey area (Wailea).

Yes airfares are up there, but that's the case everywhere. If you want a cost constrained trip to Hawaii vrbo.com is your friend and with things slow these private owners are more likely to work with you since some income is better than no income.

So get on vrbo.com for accommodations, PM KrisB for your diving and go fir it, after all you can't take it with you!

Back
Top Bottom