Maui Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

working for a resort here on the island I can tell you has been real tough. I have seen many friends and coworkers leave under unfavorable conditions. We are seeing numbers worse than what it was just after 9/11. When your occupancy rate is in the low 50s it is major hurt time.

There is a temporary reprieve in the near future. The Maui Invitational is the end of November and they are anticipating a good volume of people coming to the island for that week.

Unfortunately the spikes in tourism are short lived and far in between.

Kris, you took the words right out of my mouth.. . . that huge fine for that boat sinking and damage to the reefs-wasn't it something like $500,000 or so?-had to have had SOME impact in all this. Maggi
Latest news (mid-Sep) is $386k.

If the economy was truly as bad as Strahn is suggesting, this should have come very close to putting him out of business, you'd think.

When you look at it from the perspective that each entry-level employee likely makes $20k (at most) per year, 20 employees at $20k ($400k annually) looks really close to the fine amount. :D

I would also be interested in reading up on what happened.

My wife and I were out there at the end of May for our 25th anni and I took in a dive to Lanai with another shop. We did go into the MDS around Kaanapali near the Mahana condos where we stayed and rented some snorkel gear fro my wife.

Hard times everywhere, but gas prices are great!!! $1.88 this morning on the way to work.

Jeff

Yes, links please! We dove with MDS to Molokini and to Lanai (with no problems at all on the trips), so just curious!

Also, as for the ecomomy, those of us who can and are still travelling will only serve to help the businesses there (or any other resort destination)

We're going to Oahu for a 4 night mini-break in Jan. for our anniversary mainly because it was such a great deal (air + hotel package). Hawaii was CHEAPER than what it would have cost us to spend 4 nights here in our own province ...or even for a trip to Vegas. Go figure?!! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom