maui dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

makomike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone done any business with maui diving scuba center? I am a new instructor and am moving to maui. Maui diving scuba center is hiring and just wanted some feed back from fellow divers. Or any replies on other maui shops.
thanks mike

Maui Dreams is my favorite shop on Maui. Nice little shop with a great staff. Maui Dive Shops are like the Wal Mart of dive shops on Maui. They are everywhere but they don't have the most qualified staff. I've spoken with employees there that are not even open water certified.

I dove with Maui Dive Shop for a week while I was there a couple of years ago. I found the boats to be big and comfortable, the divemasters were knowledgeable and very friendly and the staff was quite helpful. They carried more divers on the boat than I prefer, but there was was enough divemasters to create a 1 to 6 ratio. I would recommend them.
Pam

The MDS isn't my favorite by a long shot. I'm also an instructor. If you're thinking about working for them that's a different story. I'm certain they'll hire you and these days their primary certification is SSI for open water students. I was told they have an interesting pay system. 75 dollars per class regardless of the number of students. Could be 1, could be many more.

What I didn't like about the way they run their boat operation is that they have to TALK about the tips way too much. Some of their dive leaders are great but a couple I've dove with don't put an ounce of energy into finding you cool stuff and then when the boats tied up at the dock it's 15 minutes of BS while they beg for tips. Sorry if you have to mention it, you probably don't deserve it. Other operations on maui wouldn't consider mentioning it.

Work is work and while I don't know any instructors getting fat teaching over there it's what I plan to do myself before too long.

Well the instructing part is what I plan, the getting fat part just seems to happen.

thanks for the reply, but the shop that i was specifically asking about was maui diving scuba center. Which is different than maui dive shop. The info was great though, because maui dive shop was another shop hiring. Any more comments on either is appreciated. I know MDS is quite large and my course director said he could get me a job with them, but have not been able to talk to them after emails and a few calls. maui diving scuba center is a small mom & pop shop, but they say i would be teaching about 300 OW-rescue classes a year. My pay would be directly related to how many i teach, which is ok for me because i primarily want to teach. Of course that is easy for me to say seeing how i am a new instructor. After 300 OW, i might wish i was back in cold indiana. thanks again everybody!

aaah, my mistake. Would you train all 300 or how many a year do they say you'll train?

they told me they teach over 600 a year and i would be resposible for half. If i want i can also work in the store for a low hourly rate plus a little commish. I know its not going to make me rich, but i didnt do this for the money. I chased the dollar in the past now i want to do something i love somewhere i love and meet people from all over the world. I have housing and my wife has a job, so we are definate in our plans. I do want to make sure i get set up with a shop thats ran well, but i have had a lot of business experience and am not to concerned.

I'm on their site now and they don't have an address available? Do they work from a shopas you mentioned?

Al - Maui diving scuba center is on Papalaua st, in Anchor Square (across from First Hawaiian Bank)

As to Maui Dive Shop, I was out on their boats for 3 trips last month and was quite impressed with the crews we had. They did stop the boat just outside of the harbor and mentioned tips along with asking how close we wanted to get dropped off, but very few people tipped, and they did not spend much more time than other ops I've been with (other than the ones which don't mention tips at all) - The crew was quite knowledgable that we had, and our DM was one of the most skilled divers I've seen in a DM yet - great bouyancy control and she let us dive as long as our air/ndl limits would allow - plus she let us do our own ascent profile which some DM's have a hard time with, since the DIR ascents are a bit "different" from what they are used to.

Mike - I also sent you a PM about some of the shops and what I've heard regarding them. Hope you find a good op to work with over here and enjoy Maui - it's a wonderful island.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. look me up when you get here and we'll do some shore diving together :)

I took my OW cert from MDSC... overall, it was a decent operation, but they definitely try to push as many through as they can.

Their rates are cheap, but I think they make up for it with the referral business ("want to go to a luau to celebrate your new OW cert?").

I have tried dealing with them for equipment since certification, and the owners are the ones that have been involved in the correspondance. They really try to sell you on paying them more than you should... I felt they were being a little slimey.

That said, they're probably still a good "jumping off point" for further employment on the island once the other shop owners get to know you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom