Maui Dive Schedule help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edstorm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi!

I need some advice and I know you guys are great!

Just dived oahu two weeks ago and I loved The Mahi Mahi with Ocean Concepts and the Sea Tiger on Waikiki beach :) Also dived on Kona Island this past weekend and the manta ray night dive was simply amazin. I dove with Kona Honu divers and there were like 12 mantas!

So.. Here is my 3rd week of diving and I can't figure out a schedule in Maui!

So this is what i was hoping to do
I am arriving thursday night and I haven't really decided where to stay yet. I can't dive on friday until after 12 noon so I could either stay in Lahaina or in Kahului.
I wanted to dive the Carthaginian on friday afternoon but lahaina divers(which everyone seems to recoomend) doesn't have a dive scheduled for there on friday?

ok. So pretty much I would really like to fit an afternoon dive on friday and a night dive as well.

On saturday, I would like to have a morning, afternoon and night dive.

Sunday would be my rest day since I have a flight at 7pm :)

What dive sites do you recommend I dive at and with which shops do i sign up to maximize by dive experience? I was thinking molokai and carthaginian for sure but I am not sure which dive shops would fit the itinerary for the weekend.

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks!!

Ok, I don't know where the "everybody recommends" Lahaina Divers came from. I'd certainly recommend a few others first. :)

Call Hawaiian Rafting Adventures (Dive Maui), and Extended Horizons -- see what they have going on. I don't expect either would have an afternoon charter to the Carthaginian, but sometimes they do neat stuff.

You can also call the Maui Diamond -- it will mean driving to Maalaea to get the boat, but sometimes they schedule dive trips that start around 10am, hit the Carthaginian and the Manta Cleaning Station.

Why is it that you have to wait until after noon on Friday to dive? There's no rules about diving after flying!

If you haven't dove Molokini, that should really be above the Carthaginian on your list. As should Lanai (IMHO). The Carth is nice, but there's better dives if you're limited to a couple of days.

Chances are, the only way of guaranteeing a dive on Molokai is to dive with the Molokai operator. That will mean catching the ferry over there (not the Superferry -- there's a ferry that leaves from Lahaina for Molokai).

hmm... the ferry sounds interesting... is the molokai dive really that great???

I can't dive friday morning because of work :) unless I can get internet access underwater :)

does anyone do a Molokai dive on Saturday? Or Friday Afternoon?

Looks like afternoon dives are very limited.... extended Horizons does one but thats it that I can find.

..update: looks like most dive shops are closed this weekend because of the reef cleanup... can anyone take me out for a dive?? :(

Extended Horizons does the Carthaginian on Thursdays, 12:45 PM check-in, everybody please make reservations ASAP (need 8 guest for me to go : ).

Extended Horizons is not closed Saturday, the Reef Clean-up trip has been full for weeks, not even room for me. For others reading this thread, seats were available on the Sunday EH boat last I checked.

There are not many dive boat trips in the afternoon here, especially now with hardly enough customers to pay for fuel and crew. When there are lots of customers, there are "second trips", which get back to the ramp in the afternoon.

If you let us know a little more about yourself (fill out your profile page), where you are staying, past dive experience (other than recent Hawaii), and a little more about what you want to see, ideas may pop up.

If you could make the Friday morning Extended Horizons boat, I could offer you a package deal on afternoon and night shore diving. How many divers are you? Most shore/night dives require 2 customers minimum to go.

How in shape are you? There are some adventurous shore dives here on the West Side that have a bit of a hike with gear involved, but the diving is worth it for some! I also have permits to guide Ulua in Wailea, which could be a good late afternoon / night 2-tanker depending of surf swell.

PM me for more details if you want :crafty:

I have logged around 60 dives so far. Dived a lot in the florida Keys on the Spiegal Grove and I have done around 20 dives in Thailand in the kingfisher wreck off Phuket. I also have dived on some reef walls off Puerto Rico. Also dived in some florida Caves just for kicks.

I am 25/m and actually a pretty adventurous diver. I am in pretty decent shape and last year I did 10 dives over 3 days in Cozumel, Mexico. (Come to think of it, I've done similar trips the past year in Florida Keys:wink:) I will be the only diver though.

What I was looking for was to go on a afternoon dive on friday with a night dive as well. I can't dive on friday morning because of work arrangements.

Then proceed to dive all day on saturday (morning, afternoon, night).

I haven't really decided where I'll be staying at, but I was thinking of crashing in some hostel in Laina or in Kahului or a marriott(if my points covers it :)) ANything that makes it convenient to dive!

Thanks!

Just got an email from Lahaina Divers this week that they are now doing a Friday charter to Molokai, but I think it is in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom