Maui Dive Report: 4 Dives With Shaka Doug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LLKZ16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Date: 6/13 & 6/15
Dive Location: 5 Graves, Ulua Beach / 5 Graves, Makena Landing
Buddy(ies): Carpoza’s crew & Shaka Doug / Shaka Doug
Time: 10:23 / 12:26 1 11:02 / 1:16
Bottom Time: 1 hr 8 min / 1 hr 4 min / 59 min / 1hr 2 min
Max Depth: 32 fsw / 37 fsw / 47 fsw / 39 fsw
Vis: 40-60 feet
Wave height: Nothing at all!
Temp at depth: Pretty much 77F all around
Surface Temp: 82F

Just got back from a week in Maui and I am ready to go back ASAP.

Since I was traveling with family and did not want to spend too much time away from them, I was interested in doing some local shore dives. After doing some research I found that Shaka Doug was the man to go with. Here is his web site:

http://www.shakadivers.com/

Not only do you get a professional highly qualified dive guide with Doug, you also get to learn about the local area and native history of the area. There is a lot of folk lore and history with the island of Maui and Doug knows it all. Another great thing about Doug is that he really knows each dive site like the back of his hand. I think if he were to go out blindfolded, he would still be able to lead a dive easily. I would highly recommend that if you were interested in shore diving south Maui, call Doug and have him take you out. You will not be disappointed!!

I spent 2 days with Doug and did 4 dives in total. On the first day I met up with Carpoza’s crew & Shaka Doug and we made our way to 5 Graves. This spot is gorgeous with lava fingers sticking out from the shore. This place is also known as turtle town based on the fact that they like hang out at this spot. The next dive was at Ulua Beach which was also another great place to go. This dive was slightly deeper then 5 Graves and there were a good amount of Frogfish in the area. On the second day it was just Doug and I. Our first dive at 5 Graves did not disappoint. With it only being the two of us, we were able to get deeper into the caves and check for sharks. Sadly enough, we did not find any that morning. For the next dive we drove down to Makena Landing. This place was picturesque and tranquil and I could not wait to gear up and go out. This site also had a good amount of caves and swim through’s. Doug took us into a place known as the bubble cave. This is actually a huge air pocket that you can swim up into. With the up and down flowing tide, the air pressure really messes with your ears and clouds of fog appear and disappear in an instant. I have a video link below from the footage I got while inside.

Maui is a great place to dive and visiting with the turtles was for sure a high point of the visit. Below are some assorted pictures and some videos from the dives.

5 Graves and Ulua Beach
110613Turtle3.jpg

110613Turtle1.jpg

110613Eel1.jpg

110613GlossodorisTomsmithi2.jpg

110613PhyllidiaVaricosa1.jpg

110613PencilUrchin1.jpg

110613ShakaDoug1.jpg

110613FrogFish1.jpg

[video=youtube;igXm0KEuYHU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igXm0KEuYHU[/video]

[video=youtube;bHQu4hyJc6A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHQu4hyJc6A [/video]

5 Graves and Makena Landing
110615BlueBoxFish2.jpg

110615Frogfish1.jpg

110615Frogfish2.jpg

110615GlossodorisRufomarginata1.jpg

110615PseudocerosFerrugineus1.jpg

110615ShakaDougWithCharoniaTritonis2.jpg

110615Turtle4.jpg

110615Turtle5.jpg

[video=youtube;WcUmASy-QQo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcUmASy-QQo [/video]

[video=youtube;Yp1MNoqtWc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp1MNoqtWc4 [/video]

[video=youtube;VC5mGIdXCxI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC5mGIdXCxI[/video]

Thanks for the report! It looks like some fun diving. I'm planning a Maui trip right now, also with non-diving folks and this looks like a great way to quickly get in the water with a tank and rental gear. Does Shaka Doug bring the gear to the beach, or do you meet elsewhere? Thanks!

What happened to your photos? The links are all bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just get graphics saying that "this image had been moved or deleted."

Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the report! It looks like some fun diving. I'm planning a Maui trip right now, also with non-diving folks and this looks like a great way to quickly get in the water with a tank and rental gear. Does Shaka Doug bring the gear to the beach, or do you meet elsewhere? Thanks!

All the divers meet him at an easy to find location like the shops at wailea and then you follow him to the dive sites. He deals with all the gear for you. He basically has a full shop on wheels called the Scuba Bus. You get fitted and set up with everything right there at the actual dive site. It's actually really nice to not have to deal with any rinsing or carting gear around.

All the divers meet him at an easy to find location like the shops at wailea and then you follow him to the dive sites. He deals with all the gear for you. He basically has a full shop on wheels called the Scuba Bus. You get fitted and set up with everything right there at the actual dive site. It's actually really nice to not have to deal with any rinsing or carting gear around.

Awesome, thanks.

You meet up with Doug and he brings everything in his SCUBA Bus. Then you follow him to the dive site.

Oops just saw that surfinusa555 took care of your question.

Thanks Jason!!

Believe it or not, everyone in the group who tried this failed miserably. I guess only Shaka Doug can pull this off....lol

the links worked for me. nice pictures, Lee! I like the shell balancing video, too.

I think he takes out non-certified divers if you do a small intro class with him. I think I remember him mentioning how much it was and I remember it is super cheap. Only a few bucks more than certified divers. My roommates are thinking of doing that next time we're out. Maybe the non-divers would enjoy that.

Back
Top Bottom