Master Scuba Diver Requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP I say go ahead and get the master diver card. Many people feel its a waste of money and many feel its worth it. It really depends on what you want to obtain. In Padi what the master diver card really represents is that you have completed OW. Advanced open water, rescue and 5 specialties. As in my case 3 of my specialties actually consisted on in water dives of which the majority of padis classed require 4 dives with an instructor to achieve.

Like say dont worry so much about the feed back but instead achieve the goals you set for to obtain personal satisfaction. If I can help let me know!

Oh and did you get your question answered?

Thanks!

Yes my question was answered quite a few pages ago. One thing I keep reading in this dead horse of a thread is people saying Padi doesn't require you to actually dive or "Get Wet" to achive their specialties????

I have no idea what instructor these guys have been talking to, but as far as I know, PADI DOES REQUIRE YOU TO MAKE MULTIPLE ACTUAL DIVES TO COMPLETE MOST OF THEIR SPECIALTIES! :shakehead:

What they mean is some of the specialties such as equipment specialty does not require any dives yet it is listed as a specialty (And it was one of my five). Another one is Nitrox which is a class only specialty since you breathe just like you do on air.

There are a handful of others such as fish I.D. which really does not require dives to my knowledge. Emergency O2 provider is a specialty and only took about 10 minutes to go through the jist of it.

Thats what they mean by some courses are dry or "Not wet"

What they mean is some of the specialties such as equipment specialty does not require any dives yet it is listed as a specialty (And it was one of my five). Another one is Nitrox which is a class only specialty since you breathe just like you do on air.

There are a handful of others such as fish I.D. which really does not require dives to my knowledge. Emergency O2 provider is a specialty and only took about 10 minutes to go through the jist of it.

Thats what they mean by some courses are dry or "Not wet"

Yeah, i figured they meant those but they made it sound like getting wet wasn't required for any of them. I agree that specialties like Equipment or Nitrox shouldn't require a dive. But even with those, we're required to learn important info before we complete them. I don't understand why these guys are against learning new skills, and at this point I'm not really interested to know why.....
Thanks again! :wink:

No problem and good luck! Im not sure how far you are from Joplin missouri but in Oronogo I know I have heard alot of divers will be getting together on July 4 and 5. If you could make it we all would enjoy your company. :)

I don't understand why these guys are against learning new skills, and at this point I'm not really interested to know why.....
Thanks again! :wink:

The general consensus was not that learning new skills is bad, far from it. The MSD naysayers just didn't see a point to paying for a card that only summarizes the fact that you have completed the prerequisites; the card itself is not a requirement for any additional training. No one was knocking any of the training that is involved in obtaining it. Their issue was that you could complete the same exact training, but instead of paying for the card you could simply put the extra $30-$40 from the card issuance fee to better use by using it to get more training or equipment instead.

There is nothing wrong with going the MSD route; I'm doing it myself. What I would recommend doing, however, is seeing if your LDS will cut you a discount if you book all of the training that you have left for your MSD through them at one time. Mine is giving me 10% off the top to do that, which is more then worth the fee for the card (which is worked into the deal).

Enjoy your MSD when you get it; either way you choose to go, card or no card, you will have worked hard for it and should be proud. Most divers don't go as far in their training.

Safe diving.

Jason

No problem and good luck! Im not sure how far you are from Joplin missouri but in Oronogo I know I have heard alot of divers will be getting together on July 4 and 5. If you could make it we all would enjoy your company. :)

Oh I'm familiar with Oronogo. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. I've played around there a few times. I have a bbq to attend on the 4th and a trip to Cozumel coming up later in July, so I won't be able to meet up with you guys. Thanks for the invite though, and have a great time!

No problem and enjoy your cozumel trip :)

No problem and enjoy your cozumel trip :)

Oh I plan to! A year isn't complete for me without making it there. I keep telling myself that one of these trips I'm going to head down and just stay there! :D
Heading home is always the hardest part.

Thanks DOkie! I'm still scratching my head as to why rather than just answering a simple question, some felt it necessary to question why I wanted to pursue the next level of training, or take considerable time telling me what the other requirements such as Rescue are, instead of reading my posts that said I'd already completed them. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with continuing dive training beyond Rescue. It's not like you can just tell Padi that you did the dives and send the $40 for the card. You do have to demonstrate certain skills on certification dives to the satisfaction of your instructor to complete the specialties.This might actually cause some divers to practice those skills to get better at them.

Thanks again!

P.S. I think next time I post a question on training on here, I'll add a long discaimer stating that I fully understand what it is I'm trying to attain, and I'm not asking for other info related to my question because I already the have the answers to those. :D

I appologize for the extensive time lost from the lives of all those that actually took the time to read all SEVEN pages of this thread when it could have easily been covered in one response post. :wink:

There is a very nice forum on Scuba Toys that you might be interested in the future. It is an LDS website. However, the LDS for the most part seems to stay out of the site. The moderators are very strick. This does cause the forum to be called "boring" sometimes, but if you have questions, you will get responses pertaining to them.

No I don't work for them, but have posted there and it seems to be a different crowd... Hope you have a great time getting your Master Diver's Card! Let me be the first to congratulate you!!!

Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment and Wetsuits Cheap online

There is a very nice forum on Scuba Toys that you might be interested in the future. It is an LDS website. However, the LDS for the most part seems to stay out of the site. The moderators are very strick. This does cause the forum to be called "boring" sometimes, but if you have questions, you will get responses pertaining to them.

No I don't work for them, but have posted there and it seems to be a different crowd... Hope you have a great time getting your Master Diver's Card! Let me be the first to congratulate you!!!

Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment and Wetsuits Cheap online

Thanks DOkie!
I'm already a member over there. lol I had their LDS service one of my regulator sets a couple months ago. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom