Master Scuba Diver Requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keep on diving! (and, by the way, I know another instructor...me...who could help you out with those classes and specialty certificates!)

and I wont be Cool until I get it!

:wink:

It isn't entirely worthless...

Amongst the general public (i.e. non-divers) saying that you are a Master Scuba Diver is a lot easier than rattling off a bunch of different stuff, and it sounds very impressive.

I am also told, although I do not know for sure, if you show a Master cert card at a lot of dive operations they will ignore you a bit more (which is a GOOD thing IMHO because I don't need a babysitter... if I am going into a new situation that I need supervision for, I will ASK for it) so that's good.

Actually, it is impressive in the sense that you DID actually take the time and spend the money to get the 5 specialties... and it is impressive in the fact that you did take the time and spend the money to do AOW...

Additionally, it shows that you did do your rescue diver training, and I don't know of too many people who think a rescue C card is worthless.

My biggest complaint (and, really, ONLY complaint) with the PADI system is that you can get the five specialties you need without actually getting wet... and I don't think that the core of the master scuba diving program should be possible to do without ACTUALLY scuba diving.

I am going to get one, just for giggles and grins... and I am going to use it as a shorthand for "where I am at" in my diving career although I do believe it is flawed.

Certainly, I think it is great for the original poster to have and meet goals, and while I have issues with the program as it exists, those are MY issues and I would encourage him to rock on until he meets the goal.

As far as what other divers think of me? If you really want to know how good of a diver I am, let's go get wet together... seeing a person in the water is the only way you can ever know. Besides, while you are checking me out there's fishes down there and we can go see them!

Okay... I'll go through this slooowly.... Original post. How many dives... Not should I.... Next few posts from the original diver state that this is getting too complicated, trying to explain/justify how this is on their list of things they want to do, etc. etc. etc. Obviously this is something that this diver is taking pride in. Several posters have pointed out to this diver that it means nothing, is worth nothing and that there is nothing learned from this cert.

Thanks DOkie! I'm still scratching my head as to why rather than just answering a simple question, some felt it necessary to question why I wanted to pursue the next level of training, or take considerable time telling me what the other requirements such as Rescue are, instead of reading my posts that said I'd already completed them. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with continuing dive training beyond Rescue. It's not like you can just tell Padi that you did the dives and send the $40 for the card. You do have to demonstrate certain skills on certification dives to the satisfaction of your instructor to complete the specialties.This might actually cause some divers to practice those skills to get better at them.

Thanks again!

P.S. I think next time I post a question on training on here, I'll add a long discaimer stating that I fully understand what it is I'm trying to attain, and I'm not asking for other info related to my question because I already the have the answers to those. :D

I appologize for the extensive time lost from the lives of all those that actually took the time to read all SEVEN pages of this thread when it could have easily been covered in one response post. :wink:

I appologize for the extensive time lost from the lives of all those that actually took the time to read all SEVEN pages of this thread when it could have easily been covered in one response post. :wink:

Ah, but where's the fun in a concise reply? :wink: That's how most S.B. threads end up going U/A. Anyway, I'm glad that we finally got your question answered.

Jason

To the OP I say go ahead and get the master diver card. Many people feel its a waste of money and many feel its worth it. It really depends on what you want to obtain. In Padi what the master diver card really represents is that you have completed OW. Advanced open water, rescue and 5 specialties. As in my case 3 of my specialties actually consisted on in water dives of which the majority of padis classed require 4 dives with an instructor to achieve.

Like say dont worry so much about the feed back but instead achieve the goals you set for to obtain personal satisfaction. If I can help let me know!

Oh and did you get your question answered?

I'm still scratching my head as to why rather than just answering a simple question, some felt it necessary to question why I wanted to pursue the next level of training, or take considerable time telling me what the other requirements such as Rescue are, instead of reading my posts that said I'd already completed them.
<snip>

That is just how the internet works :wink: Are you new to forums? Topics rarely stay 100% on topic. Also people are not forced to read seven pages of the posts!

P.S. I think next time I post a question on training on here, I'll add a long discaimer stating that I fully understand what it is I'm trying to attain, and I'm not asking for other info related to my question because I already the have the answers to those.

In future if you just want a simple answer, email PADI direct. Don't post it on a discussion board. :D

sabbath999:
Amongst the general public (i.e. non-divers) saying that you are a Master Scuba Diver is a lot easier than rattling off a bunch of different stuff, and it sounds very impressive.

Yes non-divers certainly find the card impressive! I had not thought about that reason. For some people that might be a good enough reason to get the card. :wink:

I am also told, although I do not know for sure, if you show a Master cert card at a lot of dive operations they will ignore you a bit more (which is a GOOD thing IMHO because I don't need a babysitter... if I am going into a new situation that I need supervision for, I will ASK for it) so that's good.

Have other people experienced this? Just curious as I had not heard it before. I think if I was buddied up with someone who had Master Diver card it would make little difference to my expectations as if they have just met the minimum requirements for this card, this does not make them an experienced diver. I would be more interested in their diving history and if they dive locally. But yea, that's just me!

Actually, it is impressive in the sense that you DID actually take the time and spend the money to get the 5 specialties... and it is impressive in the fact that you did take the time and spend the money to do AOW...

Well this is something that will probably get people annoyed at me again :wink: but, I do not feel completing PADI style specialties is particularly impressive as they are very easy to pass (even for me, someone who is most definitely not a natural diver). They are fun (except Nav, hated that course) and they do teach some things. Though most of the stuff I learned in my specialties for AOW (through SSI though, if that makes any difference) I could have learned from experienced divers. But, they were not around when I was much newer to diving and specialties such as Night and Drift I didn't know how easy they were until I actually did the specialty course. As there were courses for them I figured that night and drift diving were difficult so never tried them myself beforehand.

My biggest complaint (and, really, ONLY complaint) with the PADI system is that you can get the five specialties you need without actually getting wet... and I don't think that the core of the master scuba diving program should be possible to do without ACTUALLY scuba diving.

Actually I have zero issue with this personally. The specialties are so easy to attain that even ones that require you to be in the water do not teach a lot. I mean, it helps to have feedback from more experienced divers (such as an instructor) and doing a course with them can assist this, but you can also get this from diving with a mentor.

I have one buddy whose goal is to attain Master Diver (I think he has done the last specialty for this so maybe he has it already). He knows my thoughts on this and we agree to disagree :)

signed Sas - a reluctant Master Diver*

*They gave me the card for 'free' after I finished Rescue - though most likely the cost was built into the course fees. Would have preferred a cheaper course and no card myself!

Your right Sas the best way to learn is to simply go with someone and just get in and have fun in the water :) With the exception of the core (open water) and rescue diving really the other classes are just to gain basic knowledge of the topic at hand before going out and trying them on your own. I have a cousin who is a basic open water diver and has really done some deep dives, night dives and a variety of other dives and never ran in to a problem yet.

I found it educational to hear diffrent peoples opinions on the matter myself. Hang in there and let us know when you make to MSD :)

I found it educational to hear diffrent peoples opinions on the matter myself. Hang in there and let us know when you make to MSD :)

Yes me too. :) For example Sabbath999 raised a few points I had not heard about. I have not changed my opinion but it is often educational to hear the opinions of those that disagree with me. I probably learn more from disagreement than when everyone agrees with me.

Your right Sas the best way to learn is to simply go with someone and just get in and have fun in the water :) With the exception of the core (open water) and rescue diving really the other classes are just to gain basic knowledge of the topic at hand before going out and trying them on your own. I have a cousin who is a basic open water diver and has really done some deep dives, night dives and a variety of other dives and never ran in to a problem yet.

Yea it depends what kind of people you have around to dive with. If you only know new divers it often makes people more comfortable to do the specialties with an instructor. But, if one has experienced divers to dive with I think they can learn the stuff you learn in the specialties without doing them in a formal setting. For example, I have done a bit of night diving with brand new divers who are interested in night diving (about a third of my dives these days are at night) to help them get comfortable with night diving without them actually doing the course. I now have a spare set of lights to loan out too :)

Back
Top Bottom