Master scuba diver question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you had to do 5 specialty certifications-- ei-3-4 dives for each and maybe a little classroom? Were these 5 done before enrolling in NAUI MSD or during the MSD course time? Did NAUI issue you a card for each of these 5 specialties?

Your thinking is too "PADI."

1. The class discussed and decided (in conjunction with the instructor) which of the optional dives we wanted to do. We weren't paying for each dive, nor were we earning specialty badges - we were there to challenge ourselves and to learn. In some cases we repeated the training dives because they were fun (e.g., diving in rapids). I believe that I have some six or eight dives which can be called MD training dives. All of those dives were done after the MD course began - we did not receive any "credit" for previous dives;

2. I believe that we had some 15 hours of classroom instruction; and

3. Unlike PADI, NAUI doesn't issue cards for specialties - really, what would such cards be good for? I received a MD card from NAUI.

1. The class discussed and decided (in conjunction with the instructor) which of the optional dives we wanted to do. We weren't paying for each dive, nor were we earning specialty badges - we were there to challenge ourselves and to learn. In some cases we repeated the training dives because they were fun (e.g., diving in rapids). I believe that I have some six or eight dives which can be called MD training dives. All of those dives were done after the MD course began - we did not receive any "credit" for previous dives;

3. Unlike PADI, NAUI doesn't issue cards for specialties - really, what would such cards be good for? I received a MD card from NAUI.

I do honestly understand what you're saying, and I do think "too PADI" (It's the only shop for 100 mls. here, or I may have gone with NAUI). I'm just trying to see how my education stacks up. Trying to compare the 20 or so specialty class dives with the ones done with NAUI MSD. How does the NAUI MSD academics stack up against the PADI DM course? I took a "fake" NAUI MSD test and got 79%-not great, but I had no NAUI stuff to study. Assume someone at NAUI would miss a few PADI DM questions without the heralded PADI Encyclo. of Rec. Diving to study. I got 93% on the PADI DM test. I have a question for anyone who has a lot of experience with both agencies:

Two people are identical twins with identical experience and cloned identical instructors. One is a NAUI AI (the correcsponding rung on the ladder to PADI DM) and a NAUI MSD. The other is a PADI DM and MSD (haven taken say, Deep, Wreck, Nitrox, PP. Buoyancy, Underwater Nav. specialties). Which is the better, more capable, knowledgable diver--or is it a tie? I guess one of the reasons (not the main one) I am trying to finish PADI DM is because of the criticisim of the PADI MSD I have. As I've said, I think non-meaty specialties should not count toward PADI MSD, though mine were "meaty". Underwater Photographer, while maybe a great course for a photographer, probably does little to improve one's ability/safety (I know, it helps buoyancy, but one should be good at that anyway), so it should not be part of PADI MSD. Then again, the same could be said for NAUI's elective dive of Underwater Hunter & Gatherer. Any thoughts.

Two people are identical twins with identical experience and cloned identical instructors. One is a NAUI AI (the correcsponding rung on the ladder to PADI DM) and a NAUI MSD. The other is a PADI DM and MSD (haven taken say, Deep, Wreck, Nitrox, PP. Buoyancy, Underwater Nav. specialties). Which is the better, more capable, knowledgable diver--or is it a tie? I guess one of the reasons (not the main one) I am trying to finish PADI DM is because of the criticisim of the PADI MSD I have. As I've said, I think non-meaty specialties should not count toward PADI MSD, though mine were "meaty". Underwater Photographer, while maybe a great course for a photographer, probably does little to improve one's ability/safety (I know, it helps buoyancy, but one should be good at that anyway), so it should not be part of PADI MSD. Then again, the same could be said for NAUI's elective dive of Underwater Hunter & Gatherer. Any thoughts.

The old PADI vs anyone else debate is sure to chum the waters. :popcorn:

To be clear, my comment was NAUI MD vs. PADI MD.

Have a great weekend.

I'm sure you just mistyped but:

1. I hope you did AT LEAST 8 dives that were considered MD training since that is the minimum required.

3. NAUI does issue cards for specialties but not for individual sections of the MSD course.

Then again, the same could be said for NAUI's elective dive of Underwater Hunter & Gatherer. Any thoughts.

The purpose of MSD is to prove that the student is a capable and well-rounded diver. I would not like it if NAUI did not allow any flexibility in what it offers to students. NAUI requires some core subjects and dives be taught and experienced and lets the instructor or class choose what else they would like to explore from a list. What's wrong with having Hunter and Collector as an option? A master diver in my opinion should not only have mastered basic principles, emergency procedures and academics but should have experience in a wide range of diving activities. If they want to choose photography, skin diving, hunter or archaeology, that's fine with me as long as the important stuff is covered as well. That's where I feel that the NAUI MSD course is better than the PADI one. For PADI you can take most any five specialties and get an MSD card. With NAUI it doesn't matter what specialties you have prior to the course because everyone will cover the five core subjects and be tested on mastery of them.

Thanks for this, it was useful. Can you tell me the difference between the NAUI MSD rating and what I believe they refer to as Divecon (what we would call divemaster). Thanks for your help.

Typically the difference between MSD and Divemaster is the leadership and legal aspect. With DiveCon I believe it also throws in more teaching because I think DiveCon is like combined DM and AI.

The actual diving knowledge and skills should be comparable between DM and MSD.

I think someone from SEI needs to update the wikipedia page. I think their course is on par with NAUI...but I could be wrong :)

The purpose of MSD is to prove that the student is a capable and well-rounded diver. I would not like it if NAUI did not allow any flexibility in what it offers to students. NAUI requires some core subjects and dives be taught and experienced and lets the instructor or class choose what else they would like to explore from a list. What's wrong with having Hunter and Collector as an option? A master diver in my opinion should not only have mastered basic principles, emergency procedures and academics but should have experience in a wide range of diving activities. If they want to choose photography, skin diving, hunter or archaeology, that's fine with me as long as the important stuff is covered as well. That's where I feel that the NAUI MSD course is better than the PADI one. For PADI you can take most any five specialties and get an MSD card. With NAUI it doesn't matter what specialties you have prior to the course because everyone will cover the five core subjects and be tested on mastery of them.

Yes, I agree with all of that to a point. Except that the the courses that don't involve safety and efficiency as diver don't really contribute to one's buddy being someone who is safer now to dive with. Maybe these "other" courses should be taken outside of either agency's MSD? Debatable. Still hoping for someone experienced in both agancies to reply to my question about NAUI AI/MSD vs. PADI DM/MSD (with core specialties). Just trying to see how my education stacks up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom