Master scuba diver question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you're saying just get rid of the title? Would there be a different title or just none? When I first heard of MSDT I immediately figured out what it meant.

I think he wording of these terms in this thread is confusing, at least to me.

Master Scuba Diver Trainer is indeed an advanced training certification. It means the instructor has had the experience of certifying at least 25 divers and is certified to teach at least 5 specialty courses. The requirements in the PADI manual do not say anything at all about it meaning that "you have the instructor certifications to bring someone to the MSD level." I suppose you could interpret it that way if the instructor were to teach the potential MSD student 5 specialties for which he or she is qualified, but that would be an unusual coincidence. Someone applying for an MSD certification can have done those specialties with 5 different instructors, and that is frequently the case.

Well when i first started in scuba and I was looking for instructors I didnt have any idea what a master scuba diver was or that a trainer of masters scuba divers has only to meet some preordained requirement that, to be honest, is not that impressive. I took it to mean that they are master trainers, or that they were somehow bestowed with that honor because of a track record of teaching well above what is considered the norm.

Now, with more time, and my certs complete, I know what it really means. However, I still feel it can be misleading for newer divers looking for a better than average instructor, because really an MSDT could just be a ****ty instructor that has met come minimal requirements.

Nevertheless, I could also just be slow and I might be the only person that sees it that way

Nevertheless, I could also just be slow and I might be the only person that sees it that way

No, I think you have a valid point. I see how it could be mis-leading and in truth, that might be part of the reason for it. I don't know.

I see what you guys mean. It could be "Master Scuba Diver" Trainer (which it is) or "Master" Scuba Diver Trainer.

Back
Top Bottom