Master Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia:
No, it only means that no one has ever used rescue diver certification as a prerequisite for any of the non-training dives I've done.

I think rescue diver is one of the best diving classes I've taken, and I'd recommend it to anyone who dives without hesitation. I recommend it because I believe the training is valuable, and because I believe it makes divers safer, more confidant, and better equipped to handle emergencies... not because a person without it is likely to be barred from certain dives.

I've used that training to assist divers in distress on more than one occasion, and to date none of them have asked to see my rescue card. IMHO, taking classes is about developing and maintaining skills, not about getting the small plastic rectangle at the end.

I never said that it is about getting the plastic rectangle at the end, nor did I say anyone ever asks for it. But you have never encountered a situation where it may be valuable to convey the assurance to a captain/dive guide that you have received this training voluntarily? Not to impress them, but to let them know that they can concentrate more of their attention on other divers?

P.S. I use the word "attention" to try to be gentle to the divers who have all kinds of certs and still can't keep off the corals or control their bouyancy. :wink:

narcT:
Have you read the NAUI textbook for the class? Have you taken the exam?

Just curious how it compares to the PADI Master Diver text and exam???

I was pointing out the facts relating to the differences between the NAUI vs. PADI MD programs. I assume having read the thread you are aware of the differences in the programs as well. What is your point?

--Matt

gangrel441:
Everyone here complains about (and rightfully so) that 11 dives logged is not enough experience to establish that you have a fair degree of experience. I think 50 is a much better number, and were I a boat captain, I would think that for this reason, a MSD card would hold more water with me in establishing that a diver could handle a more challenging site. Haven't you seen AOW divers who have no business being below 60 ft? I have.

I consider it showing my guides a little bit of assurance that I'll be ok.

Along this same line I have seen an SSI instructor (one of the diver's many certifications) who has no business being below 60 feet. Even the number of logged dives isn't a good indicator of experience, you need to look at the types of dives and the conditions at the sites.

It is possible to have a diver with 11 dives who can handle a challenging site; it just depends on the training they received, the types of conditions they had to dive in to get their certification and how comfortable they were in the water to start with.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit is right. I was on a boat with a man who was supposedly an instructor, with his wife and 3 kids, all over 15. He did not listen to the pre-dive breifing and when he had them in the water he proceeded to give his own breifing even though he had not been to this area before. Before decending, his wife, who was nervous from the start, must have swallowed some sea water and started to choke. What did this instructor do? Started yelling at the boat for someone to do something. The DM, who was just helping the last diver gear up, dove in and helped her back to the boat and we brought her aboard.
As Ber Rabbit says, the only way to tell how good a diver is, is to see them dive. I've seen too many "Super-Divers" who have no business being in the water.

gangrel441:
Rescue doesn't give the diver any added responsibility, just training. As for instructors/DMs...if they don't want to accept the responsibilities that come with going pro, not really sure why they went that route in the first place...

Do you feel that if a person becomes a DM or instructor that that should have to be "on the job" all the time?

If you identify yourself as such when you get on the boat -- you have a good chance of being asked to pair up with the new guy who showed up on the boat with no buddy or the one who hasn't dove these conditions or for years. Sure you can say no -- but this isn't a way to garne good relationships - so generally a person will say OK -- even if they don't really want to do it.

The Dms/I's that I know surely don't do this for the money -- but a love of diving. And they want to do some fun "just for me" dives too -- not always being on the job and having to take responsibity for other people.

If you just paid a bunch of money for a charter - you deserve to dive it as you see fit. Not showing your pro status can make it so you are not put in the position you don't want to be in.

Kimber

My husband/buddy and I plan to take the Rescue course when we have a few more dives under our belts. We also might take the Deep Diver specialty to increase our knowledge and to learn to better plan for dives deeper than 100'. We've talked about doing the Wreck Diver course if/when we go to Truk Lagoon, but likely would take the course there to get the most out of it. We'll also probably do Nitrox one of these days as well if we continue to plan liveaboard trips. :D

Our "plans" for specialties and certifications have everything to do with safety and nothing to do with card collecting. We want to become safer divers and better buddies to eachother, and the best way to do that is through continuing education. That's why we did our AOW a year after our OW, so we could maximize what we learned (and we're glad we waited), and why we'll do Rescue in another year or so...when we feel we're ready.

For us it's about becoming better divers, not more "impressive" ones. :wink:

Dive Me, you have the right attitude when it comes to taking classes. There is a big difference between certified to do something and qualified to do it, you can get certified without ever being qualified. Your planned progress through your training will enable you to be qualified, safe divers. A true card collector takes classes through every agency they can find, they may have taken 2 or more OW classes in a short period from different agencies and probably did the same for their AOW and Rescue cards (do you really need to earn 2 different OW/AOW/Rescue cards in less than a year?) Some will hold a DM card for several agencies and multiple agency cards for every specialty they can find. These are the divers you need to watch out for, the ones who have rarely if ever gone diving without being in a class. Going diving on your own with your buddy allows you to gain experience and have some fun too.

What you are doing by taking a class then diving on your own then taking another class is getting experience that lets you get qualified (not just certified) to dive different areas and do different types of dives and it also makes you a better diver in your "home" area.
Ber :lilbunny:

ChrisA:
If one of the specialties is nitrox it would be listed on the Master Diver card. Nitrox is the only specialty c-card anyone would ever ask to see so PADI will print "nitrox" on your other cards just so you never have to cary around more then one card

Nitrox is 1 of 2 that you may be ask to show, the other is cavern.

herman:
Nitrox is 1 of 2 that you may be ask to show, the other is cavern.
maybe drysuit? I've heard of places requiring something for drysuit rental.

Ber Rabbit:
Dive Me, you have the right attitude when it comes to taking classes. There is a big difference between certified to do something and qualified to do it, you can get certified without ever being qualified. Your planned progress through your training will enable you to be qualified, safe divers. A true card collector takes classes through every agency they can find, they may have taken 2 or more OW classes in a short period from different agencies and probably did the same for their AOW and Rescue cards (do you really need to earn 2 different OW/AOW/Rescue cards in less than a year?) Some will hold a DM card for several agencies and multiple agency cards for every specialty they can find. These are the divers you need to watch out for, the ones who have rarely if ever gone diving without being in a class. Going diving on your own with your buddy allows you to gain experience and have some fun too.

I have to disagree with you on multi-agency training. If it is done for no reason other than collecting cards, I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, if it is done to gain perspective on differing theories and philosophies when it comes to diving, I believe this could be highly valuable. Don't believe me? Do a search on DIR. Personally, I would prefer to understand GUE's, IANTD's, and TDI's viewpoints on staged deco, then make up my own mind on which I have faith in. The hell with the cards, tell me what you do and let me decide!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom