Master Diver - worth getting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How? I can't recall any point on my path from OW to tech instructor where my MSD card made any difference whatsoever. But, I've never taken a PADI course, so I suppose PADI could be different.
makes it easier to pick up the specialties.

makes it easier to pick up the specialties.
I was a PADI pro, had boatloads of cards. I wasn't a card collector, but I was always hungry for more skills. I never paid the fee for MSD. MSD does nothing for picking up specialties.

If I were to do things over again, I would have taken GUE fundies after OW and be done with it. T1 in place of AOW and a slew of others.

I think that's the best sequence of courses a diver can take. Just 3 courses.

I was a PADI pro, had boatloads of cards. I wasn't a card collector, but I was always hungry for more skills. I never paid the fee for MSD. MSD does nothing for picking up specialties.

If I were to do things over again, I would have taken GUE fundies after OW and be done with it. T1 in place of AOW and a slew of others.

I think that's the best sequence of courses a diver can take. Just 3 courses.
If I had it to do over again I would have never gotten my instructor cert and just focused on the diving that I enjoy the most. However now that I have my instructor cert (since 2012) I am NOT letting go of it until I either reach the level to teach what I want/enjoy or decide that I've spent to much $$ on renewals. If I could teach two cavern classes a year and only teach sidemount classes the rest of the time I would be a happy diver.

My mom always asked me if I was a "Dive Master" so she'd be more way impressed with that than the stupid cave/ccr/mixed gas classes I wasted my time on!
yeah and the fact that SO MANY Master Divers are confused with DIVE MASTERS doesn't help much. I am actually more concerned with you trying to impress your mom. No class is stupid if you learn something from it... even if you didn't get a card for it (ask me how I know).

How? I can't recall any point on my path from OW to tech instructor where my MSD card made any difference whatsoever. But, I've never taken a PADI course, so I suppose PADI could be different.
I have a stack of cards nearly two inches high, many of them PADI. I retired as a PADI trimix instructor last year.

I do not qualify for MSD.

I have been on a few different forums, The Rolex Forums for example, and it really doesn’t seem to take long for them to put a bad taste in your mouth.
I have a stack of cards nearly two inches high, many of them PADI. I retired as a PADI trimix instructor last year.

That's OK, it's really meant for actual/aspiring Rolex buyers.

Those posting serious scuba questions seeking non-sarcastic answers should hope that individuals such as lowwall know more about diving than they do mechanical timepieces.

This thread was started 6 years ago, and it quickly went through a life typical of these threads. Then it died out until it was resurrected in April of this year. Then it went dormant until today. I was about to make a comment, but I went through the past and saw that I said all I wanted to say 6 years ago. I'm sure most of the people who participated in it then have left ScubaBoard by now.

Wow! I know you have a Nitrox card and a Rescue card somewhere in that stack. You never took 3 other recreational specialty courses?

4 specialties (max of one non-diving, like Nitrox) plus Rescue, and 50 dives is all it takes for SDI Master Scuba Diver.

Back
Top Bottom