Master Diver - worth getting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

People, from tank fillers, to OW divers, to boat captains, to IDC Course Directors, to sorority girls on spring break at COZ will all stand back and stare in AWE when you flip out that little plastic card, fully giving you your due reverence and respect.

/User Name Checks Out

“Master Scuba Diver? Oh my … my ooo … Hell Yes!!!” 😃

Sorority girls are going to throw themselves on you, they ain't standing back :)

I am clearly spending too much time in the water and not enough time at Spring Break parties....

1683196748790.png

Have you heard of SSI/SDI Adv wreck course? I heard they have a similar course
RAID's wreck course progression is a bit different than others. Recreational is Wreck and Advanced wreck. Wreck is swimming around the wreck, noting possible hazards and even possible penetration areas with entrances and exits. No penetration is allowed.

Advanced wreck is where penetration is added and spends A LOT of time on line laying and retrieval. A big portion of that time is spent on land practicing ties and wraps.

The RAID Technical Wreck course is currently in the process of being created and should be released soon.

I have been on a few different forums, The Rolex Forums for example, and it really doesn’t seem to take long for them to put a bad taste in your mouth. I have attempted to use them to glean some useful information. Granted one can take from them what you want. But this thread about MSD is sticking in my craw. Most threads on here seem, very quickly, to devolve into PADI-bashing. If an individual wishes to obtain an MSD rating - it is simply a personal accomplishment. It is not a money grab and it doesn’t need to prove anything to dive ops, self-proclaimed experts or cynical assholes that sit behind a computer.

I have been on a few different forums, The Rolex Forums for example, and it really doesn’t seem to take long for them to put a bad taste in your mouth. I have attempted to use them to glean some useful information. Granted one can take from them what you want. But this thread about MSD is sticking in my craw. Most threads on here seem, very quickly, to devolve into PADI-bashing. If an individual wishes to obtain an MSD rating - it is simply a personal accomplishment. It is not a money grab and it doesn’t need to prove anything to dive ops, self-proclaimed experts or cynical assholes that sit behind a computer.
hey, if getting your MSD gets you in the water then go for it.... Personally I just see it as card collecting (and I am a PADI instructor). I would rather see a diver just diving... if there is a card that interests them then by all means pay an instructor to introduce you to that specialty. JUST GO DIVE!!!! DON"T GO PRO until you are 100% sure you want to take on that burden and it IS a burden. Sure the MSD will help you in the long run if you do jump to instructor but then I'd rather have a solid instructor in the core parts of diving than one that could teach me something I don't care about anyway.

Have you heard of SSI/SDI Adv wreck course? I heard they have a similar course
Have you really looked into RAID?? They are winning me over... free access to any of their online manuals (written or co-written by Jill) before you even take a class. I am looking seriously at their Cave2 course to finish up my NAUI Cave1 certification.

Probably said it upthread, but since someone woke up the zombie I'll say it again.

If you really love diving and want to get more into it, and more out of it, AN/DP is far better than MSD, even if you never go into deco outside of training. It really upgrades your whole approach to diving and planning in ways that the recreational courses don't.

I mean, of COURSE if you want MSD or like having it for whatever personal reason, that's up to you. And that's totally irrelevant from the point of view of an online forum where people share their views.

If you just want MSD because you want MSD and aren't interested in hearing any other opinions, then just get it and be happy. No need for namecalling other people who are participating in the discussion.

Sure the MSD will help you in the long run if you do jump to instructor

How? I can't recall any point on my path from OW to tech instructor where my MSD card made any difference whatsoever. But, I've never taken a PADI course, so I suppose PADI could be different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom