Master Diver qualifications?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelsung

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm considering getting my Master Diver cert from SSI,

1, Does anyone know the qualifications for the SSI master diver cert?
[not to be confused with dive master or divecon].
2, Is there is a written test?
3, Is there a skills test or any check out dives?

I have my SSI advanced open water certification (includes 4 specialty certs) plus SSI nitrox cert and SSI stress and rescue.

I have done about 150 dives. I stopped logging dives for a while, but still have a little over a hundred in my log book. Most are cold water, low viz ocean dives - as my diving has been primarily Northern Ca. ocean or upper East Coast wreck diving with a few Caribbean trips.

Thanks!

as you already have 4 specialties + stress/rescue, and you already have > 50 dives all you need do is pay your $30 and get your card :)

Thats exactly what happened. I called my instructor, stopped by the shop - dropped $45 bucks (price must have gone up - still a fair price) and my master diver card is on the way :eek:)

The requirements are as follows:
1, Instructor approval
2, complete 4 specialty courses
3, Diver Stress & Rescue cert
4, done a total of 50 dives or more

Not to be confused with 'divemaster' or 'dive con' - 'master diver' cert is not a professional certification....but it sure does sound cool. Think I might stop by a night club when my card comes in and flash it around a bit - its gotta' make me look a little cooler than I really am. I'll just drop it on the bar and wait for the hotties to ease on over :eek:) hehehe

its Much cooler to the non-diving public... if you flash your Master's card to any divers tho' you'll probably jus' get a rolling of the eyes... :)

Not to be confused with 'divemaster' or 'dive con' - 'master diver' cert is not a professional certification....but it sure does sound cool. Think I might stop by a night club when my card comes in and flash it around a bit - its gotta' make me look a little cooler than I really am. I'll just drop it on the bar and wait for the hotties to ease on over :eek:) hehehe

I hope it gives you luck with the hotties... :wink: Can't think of any other value that the Master diver card might have.

Just don't use it to impress any divers, I doubt it will work :popcorn:

I hope it gives you luck with the hotties... :wink: Can't think of any other value that the Master diver card might have.

Just don't use it to impress any divers, I doubt it will work :popcorn:
Any "hottie" that's so blonde as to be impressed by that is hardly worth the trouble (at least in my view).:D

Any "hottie" that's so blonde as to be impressed by that is hardly worth the trouble (at least in my view).:D

:rofl3:

Actually, an embarrassing story. After I got my OW card, I came into work and happened to mention it a few days later. A guy who I worked with told me all about how he was an Advanced diver and how its really hard to get that, blah blah blah, and how he'd be happy to take me out for a dive. I remember being impressed at the time (as I was by the idea of a "Master Diver" card) and said I wouldn't mind some pointers. He left work shortly after I got my OW and I ran into him again in six or so month's time when he came into work to visit everyone. I asked him more specifically about his 'Advanced' card (as I kind of suspected he'd talked it up by this stage) and he mentioned it was with PADI. He asked if I still wanted him to take me out for a dive and then asked how I was going with diving...

I said I'd done about 70 dives now, got my AOW and asked how many he'd done and when was he next going out for a dive. He went bright red and I had to hassle him a bit to say anything (yea a bit mean of me...). Turned out he'd done OW and AOW over a few weeks whilst he was on holiday five years earlier and hadn't dived since :rofl3: We still haven't gone for that dive yet...

Anyway, it worked on me! :blush: But briefly only...

Think I might stop by a night club when my card comes in and flash it around a bit - its gotta' make me look a little cooler than I really am. I'll just drop it on the bar and wait for the hotties to ease on over :eek:) hehehe

:dork2:

OMG...my pic on file with SSI is worse than the pic on my driver's license. If I tried to flash a dive card, it would guarantee I would never get a date again.

Back
Top Bottom