Master Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks:
Looks like this for PADI:
Basic --> Advanced --> Rescue --> Dive Master/ Instructor Prep Course --> Instructor --> Instructor Trainer --> Course Director, you drop the MSD rating.

Simon,
You got the career path correct. The MSD rating is the highest non-professional rating. You don't need it to become an instructor, but it doesn't hurt. One other thing in the career progression... I'm sure NAUI has something similar. In order to be certified as a DM, you need 60 logged dives, and as an instructor, you need 100 logged dives. They did count my dives at my IDC. I gave my CD my log book from 79-82... I had exactly 100 logged dives in that one log book. On a side note... my CD had some fun with my logged dives, because they were so old... I had some interesting comments in my log book.. and it brought back some INTERESTING memories :11: ...

Al

Thanks for all the input. It really helps to know the progression you can take through the different agencies. I think the next courses I am going to take are Nitrox and then Rescue Diver.

Of course if you choose to go with SSI the DiveCon is actually a hybrid Dive Master Assistant Instructor course.

simbrooks:
Looks like this for PADI:
Basic --> Advanced --> Rescue --> Dive Master/ Instructor Prep Course --> Instructor --> Instructor Trainer --> Course Director, you drop the MSD rating.

Ok, i see a price for materials and boat/spring fee, are there any additionals such as your time/instruction fees? That is an intense program!!! Think i can make most of those dives, although i might skip the cavern one :wink: Are these trips going to be exclusively for the divers on the course, or do you mind if we bring along non-students who might enjoy the dives even if not doing the course/skills? Thinking lake, beach, non-deep/too advanced stuff (i am thinking of an OW diver here) here - such as the wreck, night and drift dives, avoiding the sim deco, deep wreck ones.

You can bring friends on the dives but they will have to understand that your time will be dominated by this course. There is not much free time. You will be involved with team projects, planning and executing dives. The Lake dives will be a long arduous day. We start in the morning with a devising a search and recovery operation. The lake has approx. 14 boats sunk at various places. You will have to locate these boats then mark them with a surface bouy. We will then lift one boat utilizing lift bags and move the boat to a new location. The next objective is to map and survey the complete site, time permitting, making a detailed map of the site so that any diver can dive the site and find all 14 boats. The Lake we use has very limited viz so your navigation course will be very challenging. You will be asked to perform several navigational objectives while at the lake. A full rescue will also be performed with located lost diver, recovering diver from depth, towing diver to shore, ,extracting diver from water and simulating a CPR assesment.

40 Fathoms will be less stressful but A guide may not be available to give a tour to non
class members. I can set up a guide for them while we are there but you, the diver, will be involved with many briefings and tasks associated with deeper diving. We will be making a dive to between 120 and 130 feet and performing several tasks at depth. We will be discussing contigency plans and mental preperation for these types of dives. These dives are about dicipline and following a plan. We will look at different gear configurations and equipment for deeper diving.

Paradise Springs is going to be a easy day and will give you the opportunity to work on your skills and techniques to prevent silting and start practicing situational awareness. It is an intro to the various dive skills necessary to start looking into technical courses.

Pompano Beach will also be a place where a diving friend can attend but while you, the diver, are on the boat, you will be involved with planning advanced dive profiles and problem resolution scenarios. The first dive will be on a wreck, where you will be asked to swim out into the sand looking for a smaller wreck. You will be given only the heading and a place to leave from. You will be asked to locate the wreck and take a reciprical course back. The fun starts on the return course because it will be dark by the time you head back. The next dive is on a reef where you will have to listen carefully to the site briefing. I will have the captain purposefully give you a bad drop. You will be asked to find the reef ledge at night with practically no viz carrying your own float ball. Your skills as a navigator and understanding of reef topography will dictate what kind of dive you have. =) I please ask that guests diving on these dives be advanced certified and comfortable with night dives. Although they will be on the same dive boat, they can not dive within your dive team. Students can only dive with other students on these dives.

The remaining dives in Pompano will be of a relaxed nature demonstrating proper form, technique and planning skills. One is a deep wreck of over 100 feet of depth. Guest divers must be advanced certified or equivalent experience for this dive. Some navigational requirements will be asked and your situational awareness (global awareness) will be challenged from time to time on the remaining dives. I will give a list of elective dives that you can dive and help with achieving proficiency in those dives. By the end of the course you will have a very accurate SAC rate for yourself both resting and working.

The cost of the course is going to be $249, plus books (89.95), dives and equipment if you have to rent.

I will be providing the materials necessary to perform the search and recovery, lift bags, measuring devices, rescue equipment, pony bottles to use with the lift bags, reels and staff to assist in the success of the operations.

ZenDiver,
Have you been to 40 Fathom lately? My son's Venture Group went there last weekend, and they had very little viz. It was so bad, they couldn't find the guide line to follow. They wanted to do the PADI AOW deep dive down to 90-100 feet, but couldn't.
Your MSD class sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun. You're covering several topics I haven't touched in 20+ years. Which are you using with all the sunken boats in? When I took AOW, we also had a boat that we searched for, recovered using duffle bags, and moved it for the next class to find. No one ever knew where the boat would be the next time they went out there...

Al

Scuba_Dad:
ZenDiver,
Have you been to 40 Fathom lately? My son's Venture Group went there last weekend, and they had very little viz. It was so bad, they couldn't find the guide line to follow. They wanted to do the PADI AOW deep dive down to 90-100 feet, but couldn't.
Your MSD class sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun. You're covering several topics I haven't touched in 20+ years. Which are you using with all the sunken boats in? When I took AOW, we also had a boat that we searched for, recovered using duffle bags, and moved it for the next class to find. No one ever knew where the boat would be the next time they went out there...

Al

So far everyone who has taken the course has had fun with it....=) The lake is a local lake around Orlando. When we work with the boats we use two official lift bags and one homemade one similar to your dufflebag lift bag. I have not been to 40 Fathoms in about a year so I guess I better do a test dive before I take the class up there. I hope its not that bad but I will make a back up plan if I have too. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Brian

Its official. 40 Fathoms is closed to basic and advanced divers. Guided tours are also suspended due to less than 5 foot viz. It is open only to extended range divers. They do not expect it to clear up anytime soon. We will be choosing an alternate site to complete the deep portion of the class. Any ideas?

Brian

120 to 130 feet... hmmm....

:33:

I have worked out an aternative site to do the simulated decompression dives. We will be doing them on a deep wreck in Pompano Beach. The Wreck will be in 130 feet of water and it will be an anchor dive. It should more than be adequate to accompish our goal and learning objectives. Can't wait.

Brian

I have worked out an aternative site to do the simulated decompression dives. We will be doing them on a deep wreck in Pompano Beach. The Wreck will be in 130 feet of water and it will be an anchor dive. It should more than be adequate to accompish our goal and learning objectives. Can't wait.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom