Master Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not going to get into an agency bashing war... nor am I going to defend PADI. What I am going to say is that each agency has its good points and bad points. I can see a lot of pros and cons about the way NAUI does the MSD course and how you earn MSD with PADI. I have the PADI MSD rating and I will say that I earned some of my cards and I bought some of my cards. I feel like the instructor who gave me the cards I bought cheated me. I did not earn them. What did I learn from that experience? My students will earn their cards. The more I teach, the more the students will learn...

It's sad that a bad instructor can give an agency a bad name...

Al

H2Andy:
.. seems to cover useful things, as well as good
in-water skills. i can see myself learning a lot, which is the point of taking
a class, not another card.

Yeah the rescue part is a great refresher, at least it was for me.

No flames needed -- the two agencies have completely different ways of thinking about the MD course. NAUI aproaches the MD course as the place where you gain instructor level knowledge about scuba. Its quite a complete course, with an assumption that earning a MD rating shows quite an advanced level of knowledge and skill. It does not involve a collection of specialties.

Would I qualify to take it? I'm a PADI DM and preparing for the IDC/IE now. Your class seems like something that could only add to my ever raging need for more scuba diving knowledge.

I would love to advance my skills as a diver with more training. I know this sounds stupid to most but I am unsure of the steps/levels/direction one would take from just starting to dive to becoming a dive instructor or master. Is there a pre-req for taking this course or any other courses?

Err, Brian/Zen Diver, you wanna come back and answer the good people??? :wink:

Back40 - if you go through NAUI you have to do MSD and Rescue, then DM, then up to Instructor. PADI and others dont have a requirement for MSD, only Rescue before DM and finally Instructor. I cant be 100%, but i dont believe it is compulsory to do an Instructor Development Course (IDC), but it sure should help and most people do, then you do your Instructors Exam (IE) which is what certs you to be an instructor.

Dont know of pre-req's for this course beyond probably AOW, look on the NAUI website.

I was out for the day yesterday so I apologize for not responding promptly. Please don't turn this into a Agency thing. I have dove with Master Divers of all agencies and have been impressed with each. The knowlege gained from this course is to enhance what you know and to learn new things. It is a very intense class that I am proud to teach. I hold my divers to a high level and expect alot out of them from this course. It is packed with great information and lots of dives that will both challenge your planning skills as well as your ability to multi-task underwater. It will teach you just about all of the environments you will face in Florida.

One of the dives is a full Rescue simulation with search and recovery, tows, extraction and administering care.

I have put together a schedule and dive intinerary. Some of the class work can be done as self pace with the NAUI Education System and it is not completely necessary to attend all of the class times. So for those of you outside of Orlando you can study a majority at home and attend the dives.

I have put it on a calendar in a Yahoo Group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScubaWorldDiveClub/cal

The class sessions start on 22 Feb 05 and the dives start in March. They are labled for each day. There are 7 classes and 14 dives scheduled (8 are required but you are welcome to dive all of them if you choose.) As mentioned earlier, if the classes are inconveinent to attend, a home study option is available with extended briefings at the dives sites to review whats required to achieve the dives. The Master Diver Education System is $89.95. I can ship it to you or you can swing by to pick it up.

Dive #1: Rescue Review (required) Lake Dive, March 13th
Dive #2: Search and Recovery (required) Lake Dive, March 13th
Dive #3: Advanced Navigation (required) Lake Dive, March 13th
Dive #4: Mapping and Survey (optional) Lake Dive, March 13th
Dive #5: Deep/ Simmulated Decompression (air) (required) 40 Fathoms, March 19th
Dive #6: Multi-level (computer) (best Nitrox mix) (optional) 40 Fathoms, March 19th
Dive #7: Intro to Caverns and Springs (optional) Paradise Springs, March 20th
Dive #8: Intro to Caverns and Springs (optional) Paradise Springs, March 20th
Dive #9: Beach Entry, Reef Survey and Fish ID (optional) Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Apr 9th
Dive #10 Beach Entry, Hunting/collecting/photography (your choice) (optional) Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Apr 9th
Dive #11: Wreck with advanced navigation (optional) Pompano Beach, Apr 9th
Dive #12: Night Dive with advanced navigation (required) Pompano Beach, Apr 9th
Dive #13: Deep Wreck (optional) Pompano Beach, Apr 10th
Dive #14: Drift Dive (optional) Pompann Beach, Apr 10th

There are 5 required dives and you can choose a minimum of 3 optional dives to complete course. I encourage you to try all of the dives scheduled.

The cost at the lake is nothing.
The cost at Paradise Springs is around $30
The cost at 40 Fathoms is between $50 and $60
The cost at Lauderdale-by-the- Sea is nothing
The cost per two tank charter in Pompano is $45
Approx site fees are $175 if you dive all 14 dives. Thats an average of $12.50 per 14 dives.

I hope this helps in your decision. =)

Brian

back40:
I would love to advance my skills as a diver with more training. I know this sounds stupid to most but I am unsure of the steps/levels/direction one would take from just starting to dive to becoming a dive instructor or master. Is there a pre-req for taking this course or any other courses?

The pre-req for NAUI Master Diver is Advanced Diver from any recognized agency. Rescue is not a pre-req to take Master Diver and can be taken after Master Diver.

A typical progression in NAUI will look something like this.

Basic --> Advanced --> Rescue --> Master --> Dive Master/ Instructor Prep Course --> Instructor --> Instructor Trainer --> Course Director

Nitrox is not required but recommended if you are going to be supervising Nitrox Divers eventually. It can be thrown in anywhere in that mix.

I am not completely sure about SSI or PADI progression but I am sure it is pretty similar to NAUI's. Hope this helps.

Brian

baitedstorm:
Would I qualify to take it? I'm a PADI DM and preparing for the IDC/IE now. Your class seems like something that could only add to my ever raging need for more scuba diving knowledge.

Absolutely....=) Your PADI DM course covered most of the academics covered in the course and I would look forward to any input and knowlege you bring to the table as a scuba professional. Most of the dives are a meeting of the minds so to speak. We will work as a team to come up with a plan to achieve our objectives. I work with a SSI instructor and PADI DM's all of the time and it is always a fun time to get all agencies perspectives on the types of dives we will be doing. Ultimately it will be a good class to learn from before your IDC.

ZenDiver:
Basic --> Advanced --> Rescue --> Master --> Dive Master/ Instructor Prep Course --> Instructor --> Instructor Trainer --> Course Director
I am not completely sure about SSI or PADI progression but I am sure it is pretty similar to NAUI's. Hope this helps.
Looks like this for PADI:
Basic --> Advanced --> Rescue --> Dive Master/ Instructor Prep Course --> Instructor --> Instructor Trainer --> Course Director, you drop the MSD rating.

Ok, i see a price for materials and boat/spring fee, are there any additionals such as your time/instruction fees? That is an intense program!!! Think i can make most of those dives, although i might skip the cavern one :wink: Are these trips going to be exclusively for the divers on the course, or do you mind if we bring along non-students who might enjoy the dives even if not doing the course/skills? Thinking lake, beach, non-deep/too advanced stuff (i am thinking of an OW diver here) here - such as the wreck, night and drift dives, avoiding the sim deco, deep wreck ones.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom