Master Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZenDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am putting together a Master Diver Class in Orlando if anyone is interested. It is a NAUI course and is one of my favorite to teach. You have to complete 8 dives but it looks like there will be more like 12 dives because we have so much fun. Besides classroom presentations there is a pretty challenging pool session and and several dives planned.

Dives 1-4 will be at a local lake where we will do a rescue dive, search and recovery, light salvage and mapping and survey.

Dives 5-8 will be in Pompano Beach where we do a wreck dive with advanced navigation objectives and a night diving with advanced navigational challenges, hunting/collecting/photography (your choice), and a Ecological reef survey.

Dives 9-10 will be at 40 Fathoms where we will be doing our Deep Air with simulated decompression procedures followed by a multi-level profile dive using best mix. Both dives will be planned utilizing your SAC rate and planned depths.

Optional dives will be offered in Pompano for those who just can get enough...=)

Part of the classroom will include basic equipment repair and problem resolutions in the field as well as several academic topics. This class prepares you for leadership courses in any agency. It gives you a taste of many different types of dives and the confidence to execute them.

Please PM me or reply in this thread if you have any questions.

I dont know ZenDIver but I have taken NAUI's MSD course and can tell you that it really IS an amazing class. It is an advanced recriational class and you will learn alot. Its not like PADI's recognition.

And any instr that gives more than the minimum dives is good in my book.

well... i've been looking to take the NAUI Master Diver class for sometime. i might
be interested, depending on total price, timing, schedule, etc...

definetely interested, though

stupid queston time here... forgive me for not knowing, but I've never seen it in plain writing anywhere.

For the Master Diver certification, at least from PADI, I thought all you had to do was complete "5" of the PADI "speciality ratings" such as boat diver, wreck diver, nitrox, etc and then pay PADI whatever the fee was for the certification? At least that's what I thought that I'd been told. (which may or may no be correct).

I didn't know it was an actual seperate course? or are all the cert agencies different?

regardless, the above description of class/dives sounds interesting.

-mike

mike_s:
stupid queston time here... forgive me for not knowing, but I've never seen it in plain writing anywhere.

For the Master Diver certification, at least from PADI, I thought all you had to do was complete "5" of the PADI "speciality ratings" such as boat diver, wreck diver, nitrox, etc and then pay PADI whatever the fee was for the certification? At least that's what I thought that I'd been told. (which may or may no be correct).

I didn't know it was an actual seperate course? or are all the cert agencies different?

regardless, the above description of class/dives sounds interesting.

-mike

I can't relly speak for PADI Master Diver, but for NAUI it is a complete course that encompasses many speacialties within the course. Also the academic portion of Master Diver is very comprable to PADI Dive Master academics. In reality we will actually cover more than 8 specialties and start on your leadership pool skills. The academics is challenging and will require quite a bit of studying to pass for some.

I believe that every agency has a different procedure when it comes to their Master Diver program, at least PADI, SSI and NAUI are all different.

Brian

MikeS,

If someone wanted to take a NAUI TEC course or wanted to cross over into a leadership lvl they would first have to pas the NAUIMSD test, so it gives you some idea of what the CLASS is all about.

Im familiar w/ PADI's where you get 5 certs (fish ID, photo,boat,EAN,etc.) and if you want to you can pay for the card as it is a "recognition" program...NOT the case w/ NAUI.

WaterDawg:
MikeS,

If someone wanted to take a NAUI TEC course or wanted to cross over into a leadership lvl they would first have to pas the NAUIMSD test, so it gives you some idea of what the CLASS is all about.

Im familiar w/ PADI's where you get 5 certs (fish ID, photo,boat,EAN,etc.) and if you want to you can pay for the card as it is a "recognition" program...NOT the case w/ NAUI.

I guess that makes sense. I'm not trying to start a flame war between whether padi or naui is better though. But I can see if you are going to be a "Master Scuba Diver" that it be more than showing you've paid for 5 speciality courses, regardless of the agency. I can see it actually being a course that tests your skills and abilities instead of how many cards you carry.

I always thought it was funny that agencies actually had certificatons for certain things, such as "Underwater Naturalist" or "Fish ID". Yeah it might be neat, but them actually having a certification seems like just a way to generate more courses/income for example.

thanks for the info.

-mike

Might be interested as Pete's DM course fell through the hoop last year (was doing MSD with him as a pre-req). Please PM the price for the course, materials and/or a total cost inc your planned dives and of course dates for class and dives - if you know these yet.

If you want to post up those details we can move this to the classes forum for you, until then its borderline to me and probably ok sitting in trips/happenings.

I would like to take the course but the timing means alot to me right now. I first want to have rescue (I'm not sure if that is a requirement, but I want it first anyway). And I won't be able to do that for about 8 weeks.

So timing means everything to me on this course. Spill the beans and let us know your timeframe.

Joe

mike_s:
I guess that makes sense. I'm not trying to start a flame war between whether padi or naui is better though. But I can see if you are going to be a "Master Scuba Diver" that it be more than showing you've paid for 5 speciality courses, regardless of the agency.

that was my feeling exactly when looking at the PADI course (sorry guys).
i wasn't going to pay money for a worthless title.

but the NAUI class really seems to cover useful things, as well as good
in-water skills. i can see myself learning a lot, which is the point of taking
a class, not another card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom