Master Diver Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fnflman- agreed. His call. Seems to me that training and limits exists for a reason. Lots of people feel prepared for dives that are well beyond their capabilities. The fact us they just don't know what they don't know. If Cetus and his daughter "felt prepared" for a 300 foot dive would your response be the same?

I honestly think the call is his, but there is a reason technical training exists.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

At the end of the day, Cetus is responsible for his safety and his daughter's safety.

He's responsible for her safety. It does not mean that he has the right to encourage or allow her to do things that are known to be potentially crippling or fatal.

He did a deco dive and not a deco AND penetration dive.

There isn't a huge difference in outcome. Screwing up a physical overhead dive will result in drowning and death. Screwing up a virtual overhead dive with a significant deco obligation will result in bobbing around on the surface foaming blood, then death. I'll leave it to others to decide which is worse.

Cetus, you knew what you got you and your daughter into with that deco dive. If you think that you two are capable of doing it repeatedly, then really, who are we to tell you otherwise?

The daughter is too young to give Informed Consent for a dangerous activity, and Cetus doesn't have the right to make the decision for her.

You know whom you got trained under. You know how much training you've done.

Neither has any training for any overhead dives.

flots.

Congratulations !!! On this topic,there is no right or wrong answer...it's simply a matter of what your goals are. You got good, advanced training and will become a better diver for it, plus you had great experiences with your kid!

Well done!

The daughter is too young to give Informed Consent for a dangerous activity, and Cetus doesn't have the right to make the decision for her.

Perhaps this is splitting hairs, but

I think he has the right to give informed consent, as a parent. However, he is not qualified to make the assessment.

Good thing his goal isn't to start instructing because he feels he's ready huh?

Great, you used V-Planner. How did you calculate your gas needs and how much did you set aside for a two person dive team?
V-Planner allows customization for a SAC rate for both bottom and deco stop. I ran the plan twice because we have different SAC rates to make sure each of us has enough gas, including reserve.

V-Planner allows customization for a SAC rate for both bottom and deco stop. I ran the plan twice because we have different SAC rates to make sure each of us has enough gas, including reserve.

There just isn't enough apps for common sense.

Your sir are a liability and simply don't know what you don't know.

If Cetus and his daughter "felt prepared" for a 300 foot dive
As an engineer by training (MSEE) I don't "feel." I go by hard data.

Thing is; the data (by the standards of every scuba training agency I know) say you should not have done this dive.

No, you went without training or certification. The hard data you likely missed was lost deco gas calculations the change in RMV on the working part of the dive and deco the ability to self rescue and buddy rescue and a myriad of other things you have never experienced or trained for.

You have less than 100 dives and you are a prime example of someone that thinks they know what to do because they read a book. People like you die every year.

You haven't even learned one of the basic tenants of diving.

Dive within your skill level and training.

Back
Top Bottom