Master & Commander

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the numbers in the UK are a tad different

for an outer london theatre in the chain, the card is £9.99 a month (years contract required, paid via direct debit) films range in price from £4 - 6
you can use the card at any non central london theatre in the chain (all bar 5), so thats 2-3 movies a month (no big deal)

for the central london ones to be included
its £13 a month
but movies at peak hours cost £6 - 8
so thats again 2 movies to cover the cost
again not hard, on a rainy day i can do that in an afternoon if theres some interesting stuff out :)

besides im sure i will get more than a years use when return of the king comes out and someone has the brains to run a trilogy marathon :wink:

We just spent the last week in New Orleans, and we had our choice between seeing The Last Samurai or Master and Commander.
We went with the lesser of two weevils.

ba-dum-dum *ping*

Sorry - I had to use it.

We also saw Missing - it was awesome!!

seakdivers once bubbled...
We just spent the last week in New Orleans, and we had our choice between seeing The Last Samurai or Master and Commander.
We went with the lesser of two weevils.

ba-dum-dum *ping*

Sorry - I had to use it.

We also saw Missing - it was awesome!!

I have now managed to find the time to see the lesser of two weevils 4 times on the silvery screen. Each time I am more enthralled with it. I hope it is at least worth the Academy's "best picture" award, if not a few more as well.

To our wives and sweethearts! May they never meet!!

Do you want to hang in Picadilly Square?
Do you want to call that raggedy-axx Napoeon your king?
Do you want your children to sing La Marseillaise?

Adding to the irony, in the book Master and Commander, the enemy was Spanish. In Far Side of the World, Surprise was chasing an American.

It was probably an easy decision to recast the enemy as French in the movie.

Youngblood was a decent Hockey Movie. Not as good as Slapshot, but still pretty good.

Wristshot

I like Russell Crowe movies. I think he is a man's man. The comparison in a earlier post to Richard Burton is accurate. I would also include the name of Duke Wayne into that breath.

I think Crowe is an ambassador of those of us who rage against the constant attempts at the deballing of the American male.

In Texas there is a saying that goes like this: Big hat but no cattle, well Crowe appears to have the cattle!

Marion Morrison aka John "Duke" Wayne

I recently heard that Stalin in his last days sent a "hit" team to kill Wayne. Allegedly, the team went to the studio where Wayne was shooting a film and they were refused entrance.

I have a hard time believing the russians would bother. At that time Wayne, who lived in Newport Beach, could be found at the Winchell's on 17th in the mornings(He liked donuts), or at the Tuna Club in Catalina (Wayne actually liked fishing quite a bit)

The hit team could also probably have gotten into the Balboa Bay Club for Sunday Brunch that Wayne frequented. Though a private club, a middle age security guy with a clip board isn't exactly the presidential CAT (counter assault team)

Why would the Soviets want to kill Wayne anyways? To prevent him from making Rooster Cogburn? A good reason but not realistic.

My 3 Fav Wayne Movies: Angel and the Bad Man; The Searchers; and Stagecoach

deluca2799 once bubbled...
Just saw this movie the other night. I thought it was OK, my girlfriend however did not enjoy it.(I can't figure out why!)Hehe!

Safe Diving!:)

Was on a double date with a buddy and our wives Saturday night, and started talking about Master & Commander, when my buddy's wife chimed in that they had planned to go see it, but the line was too long, so they had to wait, and gave up.

That was all the excuse I needed to suggest we all go right away.

"But you have already seen it 4 times!?" my wife pointed out. "its that good? That you would want to see it again?!"

The previous 4 times I watched it, my wife was away doing Christmas shopping and other Thanksgiving-related things. So this became her first chance to see it with our friends who both wanted to see it as well.

These were everyone's favorite parts, guys and gals alike:

The encyclopoedic work that the ship's doctor was referencing.

The Darwinian debate of "Yes, God indeed makes them change; but do they also change themselves, that would indeed be the mystery."

The beauty of the panoramas of the twin sailing ships, giving us more appreciation for the historic issues related to The America's Cup yacht races.

The merging of the values of the British captain and his ship's doctor. The captain gained more of an appreciation for the wonders of nature as well as the value of scientific discovery. The ships doctor learned to respect the need to intercept and cut down the French frigate.

Great story, great plot, great acting, great surprise ending, great cinematography. After seeing it 5 times, I still want to buy the video when it comes out.

My buddy was a Marine, and he enjoyed the protrayal of the British Royal Marines on board HMS Surprise as well. In fact, that was probably his favorite part of the movie.

Mo2vation

I saw a hockey movie on the idiot box the other night called Mystery Alaska. Don't know who stared in it but boy he was good :)

And by the way stop bagging the ozzy boy or will come over and fight you guy's all over the world :boxing:

PS mwilding the answer to your question is chicken.

Back
Top Bottom