Master & Commander

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mystery was an ok movie

but that plot has been done to death (unknowns vs. the pros)

but then again what hasn't?

boy meets girl
boy gets girl
boy loses girl
boy gets girl back

I'm working on a screen play right now and its kinda like the Bridges of Madison County but with a robot and a time machine

I was thinking maybe David Duchovny can play the robot

chickdiver:
Actually....

The plot of Master and Commander closely follows that of the books it was adapted from. They are a series of something like 15 adventure novels based around the character of Captain Jack Aubrey and his best friend, the ship's surgeon. They begin with Master and Commander, which is the story of Aubrey's forst command. They are adventure novels which paint an historically accurate picture of the British Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars. Fantastic reading, especially if you like novels along the lines of The Three Musketeers and The Man in the Iron Mask

sounds like a navy version of Sharp.

so did i read it right, holywood didn't change the story, change the place where it happened, didn't turn the looser into the winner and america didn't win the war?

clive francis:
sounds like a navy version of Sharp.

so did i read it right, holywood didn't change the story, change the place where it happened, didn't turn the looser into the winner and america didn't win the war?

Not exactly. Since it morhped two of the many books into a single story, it was able to make the bad guys French. In Far Side, the bad guys were the Americans, in M&C, the Spanish, 8 years apart, I think.

I'm waiting for the Hollywood version of Waterloo--where the US Marines defeat the French!

DivePartner1:
I'm waiting for the Hollywood version of Waterloo--where the US Marines defeat the French!

I am not totally sure about this, but the way they tell it around here, it was The Texas Rangers with an un-needed assist from American Special Forces training in the area, who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo. But because the US did not want the Europeans to know we had boots on the ground, some armchair Brit administrator named Wellington got credit for it.

But this version of history seems absurd to anyone with any intelligence. What seems more plausible to me is that it was probably a group of vacationing Texas Rangers acting alone who rescued Europe by defeating Napoleon.

I saw it Saturday and thought it was a great movie. A little long in the middle, but overall wonderful. Not sure what the guy I was with thought about it.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom