Master & Commander

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There were even a few under water scenes that were filmed on scuba. If you liked Gladiator, then this is a seafaring version of gladiator. If you did not like Gladiator, even though it pulled in several Academy Awards, then you probably won't like Master&Commander either.

If you like Russell Crowe's performances, then you will love Master & Commander. He has become another Richard Burton in terms of his Shakespearing style.

When you manuvered your pointer over to the 'submit post' button, did you take the time to ask yourself 'what is my point' ?

If so, could you please share what you came up with?

Spectre once bubbled...
mofosaurus

When you manuvered your pointer over to the 'submit post' button, did you take the time to ask yourself 'what is my point' ?

If so, could you please share what you came up with?

LOL !

A board regulator's work is never over. :)

I saw Indigo's post in another thread but didn't want to go :eek:ff: too much

so I posted on a new thread

Russel Crowe how silly art thou?

Let me count the ways:

I know Gladiator won many Oscars but I didn't care for the movie. It was way too pretentiuos (Can you say Kevin Costner?). Bad acting spaced by low toned conversations in big costume dramas do nothing for me

So what does the mild mannered Crowe choose as his next project? Of course! he casts himself as a misunderstood genius. Brilliant!

Actually the best Russel Crowe vehicle ever didn't even have him in it. (LA Confidential was his best movie to date, but he played a brutal thug so I don't really consider it acting) South Park did this show in which Crowe had his own TV show called "Russel Crowe and Fightin Round the World"

It showed Crowe picking fights with innocent people arount the world which I thought was hillarious since this is exactly what he does in real life!
(Crowe is famous for starting fist fights with everyone for nothing)

But Crowe does make me laugh for all his antics. He's funny and weird and paranoid but I like him though I would never invite him to a party
:boxing:

Actually....

The plot of Master and Commander closely follows that of the books it was adapted from. They are a series of something like 15 adventure novels based around the character of Captain Jack Aubrey and his best friend, the ship's surgeon. They begin with Master and Commander, which is the story of Aubrey's forst command. They are adventure novels which paint an historically accurate picture of the British Royal Navy during the Napoleonic Wars. Fantastic reading, especially if you like novels along the lines of The Three Musketeers and The Man in the Iron Mask

As usual, CD is on the mark. M&C - Patrick O'Brian is heady stuff. Great, great nautical fiction, but very heady stuff. My Father in Law is an avid reader and has all first edition hardbacks of the entire Aubrey/Maturin series... they're quite remarkable works, from the few I've read. The language is so fantastic... I think that's what I loved best.

There is a whole companion series of books written (by other authors) to specifically explain a lot of the period nautical terminology and references, as well as several books of maps designed to be used with the series. Like I said, woof. I enjoyed the read - sort of. Maybe better: I appreciated the work. Way out of my league.

As to RC - uh, ok.

Gladiator was a bit of a reach for me. How can you forget the completely forgettable Proof of Life?! What a waste of 2 hours that was. And the whole string of stinkers before that, including the piece (as in POS) where I first saw him, Quick & the Dead (don't blame me... SS is a family friend so we HAD to go... ugh) and the thoroughly dissapointing Mystery Alaska (has there ever been a good, I mean real good Hockey movie?)

I sincerely enjoyed Beautiful Mind and of course, LA Confidential is easily in my top 10 or 15 films of all time...

The boy has made some poor choices, no doubt. But I am very fired up to go see M&C this weekend...

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
As usual, CD is on the mark. M&C - Patrick O'Brian is heady stuff. Great, great nautical fiction, but very heady stuff. My Father in Law is an avid reader and has all first edition hardbacks of the entire Aubrey/Maturin series... they're quite remarkable works, from the few I've read. The language is so fantastic... I think that's what I loved best.

There is a whole companion series of books written (by other authors) to specifically explain a lot of the period nautical terminology and references, as well as several books of maps designed to be used with the series. Like I said, woof. I enjoyed the read - sort of. Maybe better: I appreciated the work. Way out of my league.

As to RC - uh, ok.

Gladiator was a bit of a reach for me. How can you forget the completely forgettable Proof of Life?! What a waste of 2 hours that was. And the whole string of stinkers before that, including the piece (as in POS) where I first saw him, Quick & the Dead (don't blame me... SS is a family friend so we HAD to go... ugh) and the thoroughly dissapointing Mystery Alaska (has there ever been a good, I mean real good Hockey movie?)

I sincerely enjoyed Beautiful Mind and of course, LA Confidential is easily in my top 10 or 15 films of all time...

The boy has made some poor choices, no doubt. But I am very fired up to go see M&C this weekend...

K

Gladiator was a metaphor about Christ. How one man had to die to save all of creation. The Academy loved it, possibly because of its political implications as well. The USA is the new Roman Empire. Will we become a tyranny as well, and tyrannize the world? Let me see, Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Panama, Lebanon, hmmm. Getting close there, maybe?

Incredibly great movie!

IndigoBlue once bubbled...

Gladiator was a metaphor about Christ. How one man had to die to save all of creation. The Academy loved it, possibly because of its political implications as well. The USA is the new Roman Empire. Will we become a tyranny as well, and tyrannize the world? Let me see, Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Panama, Lebanon, hmmm. Getting close there, maybe?

Incredibly great movie!

We may need to agree to disagree on that one, Indy. I think Babbettes Feast was quite a bit closer, with me and about 4 other people actually seeing that flick. Not a subject handled well by Hollywood. But I digress.

We can surely agree that RC has had some great roles, some stinkers and its my hope M&C is more of the former and less of the latter.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom