Master & Commander

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yahoo says after 3 weeks MC has grossed about $66 million with a per screen average of about $4,500

That means the movie "might" clear $100 million domestic, maybe

I don't think this movie is gonna make any money

re: movie pass - I'm not sure that would sell very well here in the US (about $25/mo) Is it popular in england? A new thing? Do you like it? How long have you had it?

I spend alot of time in my car commuting, so I had been going through the O'brian collection using books on tape. I really found M&C to be a riveting book, but when I saw the movie... Well... I thought it was only remotely like the book. I was so looking forward to a movie that followed close to the book, like the Harry Potter series does, but I came away disappointed. The movie did have some great scenes, But I guess that it would be a tough nut to crack, trying to cross over into movies, any of the Jack Aubrey series, as they are just so rich in deatials.

The director, Peter Weir, came to the conclusion that they make a better movie if they combined the stories of two volumes (M&C and The Far Side of the Earth) to create a new story. It's hard to conceive how these intricate tales could otherwise be made into a watchable movie, although some other books have potential.

Incidently, the taking of a much larger ship with a small man-o-war described in M&C really occurred. O'Brian published the logs and manuscripts of real even events on which he based many of his stories that details this.

It's a shame they won't recoup the cost of making a movie of this quality. On opening day, M&C was outsold by "ELF." Crimey!

DivePartner1 once bubbled...
...Incidently, the taking of a much larger ship with a small man-o-war described in M&C really occurred. O'Brian published the logs and manuscripts of real even events on which he based many of his stories that details this. ...

The most recent biography now out in hardcover of John Paul Jones also narrates several defeats of larger ships of the battle line by smaller frigates as well. Bonhomme Richard was smaller than Serapis.

If you like sea stories, then I highly recommend the biography. It also contains a fair amount of insight into the American Revolution and the role that France played allied with the Colonies against England.

Jones was an alias for John Paul, his Scottish given name. The British called him Paul Jones the Pirate due to his raids along the English and Scottish coasts.

I am currently reading Clive Cussler's Sea Hunters; it has piqued my interest to read the John Paul Jones biography and see Master and Commander. Is Crowe's character based on a historical figure?

JustAddWater once bubbled...
I am currently reading Clive Cussler's Sea Hunters; it has piqued my interest to read the John Paul Jones biography and see Master and Commander. Is Crowe's character based on a historical figure?

Chickdiver explained best the origins of the storyline for Master & Commander--Far Side of the World. I have not read the books she referred to. I normally stick to nonfiction.

I did notice similarities in the protrayal by Russell Crowe of a Royal Navy captain and the descriptions in Evan Thomas' John Paul Jones: Sailor, Hero, Father of the American Navy. Great book, if you like Revolutionary History and sea lore. Real sea lore.

The character of Jack Aubrey isn't based on a real person. The historical research done by O'Brien is fantastic, however, and he bases a number of incidents in each book on actual occurances.

Aubrey and Maturin are purely fictional and well textured characters, but the character and ship seem generally based on the HMS Shannon in the War of 1812. The Shannon was the only ship of the Royal Navy to beat a ship of the U.S. Navy in a fair fight when it took Lawrence in the Chesapeake. (He said, "Dont' give up the ship." He then died, and they promptly gave it up.)
Both were frigates, and the Shannon had the reputation as a 'happy ship' and a history of vigorous gunnery practice that was not typical in the Royal Navy as a whole

The hapless Chesapeake was just leaving Boston, heavily laden with a stores (fust as when it was bush-wacked by the treacherous Leopard ten years ealier when both sides were at peace) and a new, untried crew mostly made of foreign 'volunteers' for pay . Still take nothing from the Shannon--it was a smaller ship that fought cleanly and well.

Anyway, O'Brien is creative and his bibliographies are rich. After reading everything he wrote I followed his bibliographies through the entire Pepys diaries, several volumes of a documents from the War of 1812--Battles from each side's logs, letters to the bosses at home and (sometimes more telling) inventories of who had what, where and when.

The most accessible source on that war, by far, is Theodore Roosevelt's incomparable Naval History of the War of 1812. It is impeccably researched and makes lively entertaining reading (especially when debunkning each side's post hoc propaganda). Written at age 24, this is the book that made his career and gave him the credibility that led to a high position in the Navy Dept. and ultimately to the White House, after some horseing around in Cuba, of course.

its not one of the major chains, one of the smaller ones, but is very popular, im not sure what you mean it wouldnt be that well recieved over there, by who? the theatre company or the public? most of the people i talk to love the idea, 8 bucks a movie is a bit steep if you like the movies!

I think some people would really like a pass

but if you buy a monthly pass lets say for $24 that means you need to see 4 movies in a month to save money

maybe I'm doing the numbers wrong

Maybe a monthly pass for $16?

It seems like a good idea, I would buy a pass if cheap enough

But it would be hard to get distributors to agree

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom